• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, let me put it like this:
Simpson last in general is quite narrow and for people with wide feet it is understandably advised to go up half a size. Now, if I would get a low shoe in simpson half a number larger, I would experience heel slip but width would be fine. The shoes probably wouldn't work.
In case of a boot in simpson half a size up, I experience minor heel slip but it doesn't really matter as the shoe is high and supports also above your ankle. If it is a winterboot and you wear a little thicker socks too, half a number larger now works perfectly while the same size would be appaling.
Buy on a wider Simpson last? ??‍♂️

bennanza

Reaction score
Buy on a wider Simpson last? ??‍♂️
is there such a thing? I thought Simpson has only one width available? anyways, maybe there is no MTO event and one doesn't want to go the MTO route. But generally speaking you are right: if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Just as an example - in my described case it made sense to get the boot half a size larger (8.5) and I'm happy I did. Maybe other people have similar needs. Got my MTO boots in Forest EEE in size 8, lets see how that works out.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, let me put it like this:
Simpson last in general is quite narrow and for people with wide feet it is understandably advised to go up half a size. Now, if I would get a low shoe in simpson half a number larger, I would experience heel slip but width would be fine. The shoes probably wouldn't work.
In case of a boot in simpson half a size up, I experience minor heel slip but it doesn't really matter as the shoe is high and supports also above your ankle. If it is a winterboot and you wear a little thicker socks too, half a number larger now works perfectly while the same size would be appaling.
I get what you are saying, but and this may just be a personal preference thing, I don't find the sleekness of the Simpson last conducive to a winter boot. Generally, when I think if a winter boot i think of chunkier lasts.

bennanza

Reaction score
I get what you are saying, but and this may just be a personal preference thing, I don't find the sleekness of the Simpson last conducive to a winter boot. Generally, when I think if a winter boot i think of chunkier lasts.
I get that yeah, makes sense. It is probably a personal thing. I have a chunky and casual but nice red wing boot with a great sole for outdoors - to be honest a great boot for a heavy winter. The thing is that I find myself practically not wearing it anymore at all (maybe on a motorcycle ride or short hike). I just don't want to wear jeans and match the outfit accordingly and I love sleek looks - one reason why I really resonate with many of carmina's designs.
The simpson chelsea boot is a nice sleek autumn boot for the city, and I tried to find a combination of practicality and dressyness for my MTO boot. I just don't like chunky boots (at the moment at least and for prefered outfits).

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh! My apologies. Thought they offered wider widths on all lasts. Can they not pack out the last for MTO?

They only offer this for a handful of lasts. Detroit, Forest, and Rain are the ones I know of.

I always thought the wide version of Simpson was Rain, though.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They only offer this for a handful of lasts. Detroit, Forest, and Rain are the ones I know of.

I always thought the wide version of Simpson was Rain, though.
I think the instep on the rain is higher. Always liked the forest last but it nips my big toe.

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_20191212_162835_109.jpg
20191212_122034.jpg

Last edited:

JoeBlack0

Reaction score
No, and what's worse rather than admitting the mistake, they're 'getting their artisans look at it'. They promised the day after return arrival but have now said it will take a further week. Customer service frankly been appalling.
Unfortunately these stories sound familiar. Contacted them about a problem with the leather on my MTO boots (the grain of one of the boots was completely washed off) on November 14th and they didn’t respond. After reminding them about the email they told me it was normal since the toe was stretched during the lasting but this was clearly not the problem. I sent them more photos and explained them more the situation but didn’t get a response for another week until I reminded them about the email again. They offered to remake them and then silence again. This happened again and after one month I’m still waiting for a response of an email I sent 2 weeks ago. On monday I contacted @Carmina via styleforum but haven’t got a response. Honestly at this point I feel like they’re ignoring me or something

gld edmond

Reaction score
Unfortunately these stories sound familiar. Contacted them about a problem with the leather on my MTO boots (the grain of one of the boots was completely washed off) on November 14th and they didn’t respond. After reminding them about the email they told me it was normal since the toe was stretched during the lasting but this was clearly not the problem. I sent them more photos and explained them more the situation but didn’t get a response for another week until I reminded them about the email again. They offered to remake them and then silence again. This happened again and after one month I’m still waiting for a response of an email I sent 2 weeks ago. On monday I contacted @Carmina via styleforum but haven’t got a response. Honestly at this point I feel like they’re ignoring me or something
I had a similar problem, but Sara responded very kindly to me here on the forum and rectified my problem. Hope it all works out for you

Rodolphe

Reaction score
To each his own, I like my footwear snug.

Are you wearing wool socks in all of these instances? I don't typically make room for thicker socks in my boots and seems to have worked fine for me as I am usually never standing around in the cold much.
I tried both wool and synthetic socks to compare the sweat evacuation. No difference for me.
The problem for me is that I wear boots from november to april, so when it's cold. I sweat much more in boots than shoes. With a pair of boots which size my feet perfectly, I sweat very rapidely (1h and my socks are wet !) and the upper which wrap up my feet is transmitting the cold perfectly... Totaly counter productive for me...
While, with half size up (in addition of the half size up for winter socks), I have this little extra space where air can circulate to evacuate sweat and isolate form cold...

Last edited:

bennanza

Reaction score
I tried both wool and synthetic socks to compare the sweat evacuation. No difference for me.
The problem for me is that I wear boots from november to april, so when it's cold. I sweat much more in boots than shoes. With a pair of boots which size my feet perfectly, I sweat very rapidely (1h and my socks are wet !) and the upper which wrap up my feet is transmitting the cold perfectly... Totaly counter productive for me...
While, with half size up (in addition of the half size up for winter socks), I have this little extra space where air can circulate to evacuate sweat and isolate form cold...
i find wool works well, but I certainly experienced a little sweat here and there. Cashmere is super nice, but longevity is lower. Washing is a little complicated for both. For socks almost pure cotton works best for me. Very comfortable, no sliding, no sweat, longevity good and just throw them in the washing mashine in a net.

Oh and it doesn't matter what shoe as long as its a good leather shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads