• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meelypops

Reaction score
thank you for your response and I'm sorry for your experience. I will try to get a status update again on mine. There's quite a strong heterogeneity! Are you accepting them the way they are?
No, and what's worse rather than admitting the mistake, they're 'getting their artisans look at it'. They promised the day after return arrival but have now said it will take a further week. Customer service frankly been appalling.

Rodolphe

Reaction score
Interesting that you chose to go a half size UP for boots. In my younger days, I would always go a half size down with boots to get the same fit as my other shoes, but usually take same size if now if the shoes/boots are on the same last.
Personally, I go 1 size up for boots. 1/2 size up because I wear thicker socks in boots and another half size up because I want a little extra space for sweat evacuation.
Because the boots can hold the ankle, contrary to shoes, I have no problem with that second half size up.
With the few boots in my shoe size I worn, I was very cold in my feet because of the lack of sweat evacuation (in winter).

Andreas _Zuo

Reaction score
Personally, I go 1 size up for boots. 1/2 size up because I wear thicker socks in boots and another half size up because I want a little extra space for sweat evacuation.
Because the boots can hold the ankle, contrary to shoes, I have no problem with that second half size up.
With the few boots in my shoe size I worn, I was very cold in my feet because of the lack of sweat evacuation (in winter).
That‘s the reason I originally choose half size up in boots. But now I need keep the same. Anyway, thanks for your sharing.

Andreas _Zuo

Reaction score
I'm curious. Why do you keep the same size, now ?
I took 1/2 size up with Oscar last and it’s bigger for me; I have to take thick sole to fit. I bought another suede boots in Simpson last with 1/2 up, it’s too roomy after one year, I put thick sole again for better fitting otherwise I feel my feet are swimming in the boots……:brick:

Rodolphe

Reaction score
I took 1/2 size up with Oscar last and it’s bigger for me; I have to take thick sole to fit. I bought another suede boots in Simpson last with 1/2 up, it’s too roomy after one year, I put thick sole again for better fitting otherwise I feel my feet are swimming in the boots……:brick:
If it can comfort you, my first Carmina order was a jumper in 13UK (I size 11uk in oxford shoes...), so 2 sizes up. It was correct at the first wear but now I have to put a winter insole and I will have to stitch a thick veg tanned leather piece on the inside of the tongue to add some volume on the ankle...
I tried a 11,5UK cordovan jumper in Paris Carmina's shop and my feet were crushed inside, so I was thinking 1 size up will never be enought...wrongly...

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To each his own, I like my footwear snug.

Are you wearing wool socks in all of these instances? I don't typically make room for thicker socks in my boots and seems to have worked fine for me as I am usually never standing around in the cold much.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, all this talk of sizing up for boots... I think this is the first thread I've ever heard of it
Agree. I always buy the same size. Any boots I’d wear for winter tend to be chunkier and roomier anyway. You wouldn’t wear thick wool socks with a rain lasted shoe.

bennanza

Reaction score
No, and what's worse rather than admitting the mistake, they're 'getting their artisans look at it'. They promised the day after return arrival but have now said it will take a further week. Customer service frankly been appalling.
again, it seems to be very heterogenous. I generally made great experiences with customer service, with a few different exceptions to the rule. I hope everything works out for you. A little "sorry" gesture would be appropriate in such a case.

Last edited:

bennanza

Reaction score
Yeah, all this talk of sizing up for boots... I think this is the first thread I've ever heard of it
well, let me put it like this:
Simpson last in general is quite narrow and for people with wide feet it is understandably advised to go up half a size. Now, if I would get a low shoe in simpson half a number larger, I would experience heel slip but width would be fine. The shoes probably wouldn't work.
In case of a boot in simpson half a size up, I experience minor heel slip but it doesn't really matter as the shoe is high and supports also above your ankle. If it is a winterboot and you wear a little thicker socks too, half a number larger now works perfectly while the same size would be appaling.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t let “getting their artisans look at it” annoy you. I’ve had the same response and everything was sorted to my satisfaction. I think it’s a standard response.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads