• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Re. NST, if you go back a few pages you can see stephenaf's Amaretto NST boot. Here are mine in Amaretto and bourbon (wingtip is Alden Cigar)

View attachment 1238053 View attachment 1238054

You know it's funny... I probably shouldn't say this since it isn't going to sound quite the way it's intended but seeing your bourbon and amaretto side by side like this really makes Carmina's bourbon seem dull --- which it isn't at all. It just shows what a vibrant color the amaretto is. Somehow I hadn't really noticed this with my own boubon and amaretto since I don't keep them side by side. Sorry for the useless observation. :)

mugenlove

Reaction score
Sorry guys. I’ll have to back out, needs have come up. I really wanted a NST or plain toe book in amaretto ???

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ah, okay, so the 80248 model can't be unlined? Or is there a way to not have the detailing on the vamp for the 80709? I prefer it to look more like a whole cut.

It is possible to create the unlined loafer model 80709 without the vamp detailing. Your loafers would then have the wholecut look you are looking for.

Unglazed natural shell would be dangerous.

I also think chestnut Dublin leather would do well ...

Unglazed natural shell could be prone to stains, however, the look is magnificent in my opinion.

We have never stocked the Dublin leather from Horween, do any of you have experience with this leather?

I'm looking for a same shaft height as the 80179, but with higher density of laces (personal preference, feel it would lend the design better balance just based on my experience with other makers). Can you tell me what is the difference in height between 80179, and 80184? Also how much taller is 80711?

Thank you!

I attach a couple of pictures for your reference, from left to right 80179, 80184 and 80711.
IMG_5253.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG

Great - thank you very much!

Just to clarify - perhaps @Carmina can answer - so this GMTO allows us to choose any boot style and to have it made up in amaretto cordovan without any additional MTO cost? It will be at the "off the shelf" cost of 766 Euro in the applicable exchange rate (minus VAT, I assume)?

Also, one more question (and sorry for all the questions!) - does Carmina have a boot model in a Norwegian split-toe (NST) style? If so, I might go for that but otherwise I'll get the wingtip brogue style.

Confirmed, This GMTO is for Amaretto Cordovan. The price can vary depending on your make and preferences, it would essentially be the price that shows up in the customisation tool minus a 23%.

You can find two models attached for Norwegian boots, would you be looking for derbies?

IMG_5251.JPG IMG_5252.JPG

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unglazed natural shell could be prone to stains, however, the look is magnificent in my opinion.

We have never stocked the Dublin leather from Horween, do any of you have experience with this leather?

I don’t have any shoes in Dublin but have handled it many times. An NST boot in Dublin is my #3 shoe priority for this year (I already have #1 and Carmina is currently building my #2).

Dublin is a pull-up leather and has phenomenal patina. It’s a bit less stiff than CXL and has a less oily feel. The pull-up effect gives great highlights. Basically, kind of like a cross between CXL and museum calf - lots of color variation.

Neither photo is mine, but these give you an idea of why I think this would be awesome:

229CFBBF-EE9E-443E-8141-FB4E11C2079C.jpeg

03C42C23-C8C3-421E-9869-7757E26243E5.jpeg

Lumaca

Reaction score
I don’t have any shoes in Dublin but have handled it many times. An NST boot in Dublin is my #3 shoe priority for this year (I already have #1 and Carmina is currently building my #2).

Dublin is a pull-up leather and has phenomenal patina. It’s a bit less stiff than CXL and has a less oily feel. The pull-up effect gives great highlights. Basically, kind of like a cross between CXL and museum calf - lots of color variation.

Neither photo is mine, but these give you an idea of why I think this would be awesome:

View attachment 1238316

View attachment 1238315
Now I want a museum leather jacket...

Carmina

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

The closer match for a Carmina model would be model 80269 in Charles F steed pull up Bark kudu.

Should you wish to order a pair in Horween's dublin, we can enquire the minimum quantity of leather we can have shipped, it will take 5-6 months to get here though..

IMG_5260.JPG
IMG_5258.JPG
IMG_5262.JPG

danadd94

Reaction score
It is possible to create the unlined loafer model 80709 without the vamp detailing. Your loafers would then have the wholecut look you are looking for.
Great, good to know! I think that would be the style I go with. I'm guessing it is still recommended to order true to size for unlined in the uetam last as well? I'm a 8.5D brannock (well 8 d/e heel to toe, 8.5 d heel to ball of foot) so I'm thinking the 7.5 would be my size. Thanks!

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know it's funny... I probably shouldn't say this since it isn't going to sound quite the way it's intended but seeing your bourbon and amaretto side by side like this really makes Carmina's bourbon seem dull --- which it isn't at all. It just shows what a vibrant color the amaretto is. Somehow I hadn't really noticed this with my own boubon and amaretto since I don't keep them side by side. Sorry for the useless observation. :)
I attribute the dullness to crappy pic quality. This is closer to reality. Carmina doesn't burnsh their shell unlike say AE, so Carmina may feel plainer to some. I prefer unburnished though. I also have a pair of Carmina loafers in bourbon that are a unique and amazing shade (blend of whiskey and reddish brown/mahogany) . These were floor samples (seconds from NYC STORE) I think so the shell may have patina'ed ever so slightly by the time I bought them (top left shoe in pic below)

1170977-3f89abae3dd8446fef280665b34877b9.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I attribute the dullness to crappy pic quality. This is closer to reality. Carmina doesn't burnsh their shell unlike say AE, so Carmina may feel plainer to some. I prefer unburnished though. I also have a pair of Carmina loafers in bourbon that are a unique and amazing shade (blend of whiskey and reddish brown/mahogany) . These were floor samples (seconds from NYC STORE) I think so the shell may have patina'ed ever so slightly by the time I bought them (top left shoe in pic below)

View attachment 1238386

I agree with everything that you said... it's as much a function of the vibrance of amaretto as anything else but like most shell the color varies significantly in different light, as you demonstrated better than I could. Great collection!

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1238386

I'm wearing my Alden shell boots right now, and while Alden certainly makes great shoes, I'm not a fan of the heavy shine finish they put on their shell. I think of shell as a casual material and I think a duller finish like Carmina does suits it better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics