• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Detroit EEE is a touch narrower than Alden Barrie E one half size larger. So those are roughly equivalent.

The toebox is high, but it still tapers a bit. Not nearly as much as rain or Inca, though.

No exp with the Alden Barrie E but one reason I always hesitate to purchase is afraid they will be too big.

On the second point this is the one reason I tend to avoid the sizing thread and don't post often is no two feet are the same and the recommendations posted vary widely.

You say that the Detroit toe box is high but not nearly as high as Rain or Inca, also you say that the Detroit has more taper. I have owned them all and disagree and would state the exact opposite.

But let me clarify since there is truth to your statement and it is accurate to a point.

Below I just grabbed a Detroit and Rain to snap a photo to show what we are both saying. You can see from the top view the Detroit is rounder and has more overall toe volume. You can also see on the side shot that just as you noted the Detroit tapers more and has less height in the extreme front end of the shoe.

So visually you would come to the conclusion that you have stated and the pictures seem to back that up. But I am talking not based on the pictures I am talking how my foot fits in each last.

Same size Rain vs Detroit for my foot I have much more overall toe volume including toe height with the Detroit than Rain. Would not seem so based on pics but when I put the shoes on I can wiggle my toes much higher in the Detroit. I would say that most likely for the same size shoe my foot sits more to the rear in the Detroit and the taper that is seen does not hamper toe movement up.

IMG_20190113_142728.jpg
IMG_20190113_142824.jpg

Inca is another story. I actually sold all my Inca last shoes specifically because it tapers more than any other last on the side and has the least toe room (Carmina wise) for me, resulting in my big toe hurting making the shoes unwearable. So you feel that the Inca has more room then the Detroit but for me I can't even wear it due to lack of toe room.

The bottom line is it is hard to give fit advice since none of our feet are shaped the same. That is the beauty of different lasts as we hopefully can all find one that fits us well. Most of us here have purchased shoes in our given size on a last and found that we did not like the fit. I remember when I bought my first Carmina I went for the Rain as it seemed the overall middle of the road and a good place to start. That worked out but then I remember pulling the trigger on a few Inca last shoes that based on the looks I thought would work, big mistake. So unless you can visit the store finding your best fit is a little bit of a gamble when you start out.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the second point this is the one reason I tend to avoid the sizing thread and don't post often is no two feet are the same and the recommendations posted vary widely.

You say that the Detroit toe box is high but not nearly as high as Rain or Inca, also you say that the Detroit has more taper. I have owned them all and disagree and would state the exact opposite.

But let me clarify since there is truth to your statement and it is accurate to a point.

Below I just grabbed a Detroit and Rain to snap a photo to show what we are both saying. You can see from the top view the Detroit is rounder and has more overall toe volume. You can also see on the side shot that just as you noted the Detroit tapers more and has less height in the extreme front end of the shoe.

So visually you would come to the conclusion that you have stated and the pictures seem to back that up. But I am talking not based on the pictures I am talking how my foot fits in each last.

Same size Rain vs Detroit for my foot I have much more overall toe volume including toe height with the Detroit than Rain. Would not seem so based on pics but when I put the shoes on I can wiggle my toes much higher in the Detroit. I would say that most likely for the same size shoe my foot sits more to the rear in the Detroit and the taper that is seen does not hamper toe movement up.

View attachment 1106213 View attachment 1106214

Inca is another story. I actually sold all my Inca last shoes specifically because it tapers more than any other last on the side and has the least toe room (Carmina wise) for me, resulting in my big toe hurting making the shoes unwearable. So you feel that the Inca has more room then the Detroit but for me I can't even wear it due to lack of toe room.

The bottom line is it is hard to give fit advice since none of our feet are shaped the same. That is the beauty of different lasts as we hopefully can all find one that fits us well. Most of us here have purchased shoes in our given size on a last and found that we did not like the fit. I remember when I bought my first Carmina I went for the Rain as it seemed the overall middle of the road and a good place to start. That worked out but then I remember pulling the trigger on a few Inca last shoes that based on the looks I thought would work, big mistake. So unless you can visit the store finding your best fit is a little bit of a gamble when you start out.

I actually said the opposite of that. We don't disagree.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah I reread what you said, yup I initially took it to mean the opposite.

I probably could have worded it better, so it’s also on me. :)

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 10.5eee (uk) Detroit are wider than my 11e Barrie

I believe you.

My 3 Detroit 10 EEEs are all narrower than my 4 Barrie 10.5 Es by about a hair. At least, that's how it feels to me. Likely our feet are shaped differently, and we feel tightness or looseness in different areas.

mufaga

Reaction score
I have mailed to usa carmina 3 times to ask about their loss of my shoes and solutions.
No response received.
So after more than 100 days of waiting. Seems I have been scammed?

Subidoc

Reaction score
I have mailed to usa carmina 3 times to ask about their loss of my shoes and solutions.
No response received.
Have you tried calling the NY store or toll free number for clarification?

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe you.

My 3 Detroit 10 EEEs are all narrower than my 4 Barrie 10.5 Es by about a hair. At least, that's how it feels to me. Likely our feet are shaped differently, and we feel tightness or looseness in different areas.

I actually forgot when I posted that mine also have a half insole to give even more space

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No response received.

Have you tried calling the NY store or toll free number for clarification?

First, you were not scammed, we have all here been buying from Carmina for years so you will get your shoes.

As noted have you called the NYC store?

Also you can call Carmina direct in Spain I have done it. Once I called to check the status of my MTO and I was put on hold while the rep went into the factory to check on my shoes. So for sure there are options beyond email that you can use to find out what is going on.

But now that there is an NYC store I would start there and let them call the factory.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No response received.
What email address have written to? I've usually received prompt responses when writing to Carmina at [email protected]. Sharing in case you've sent your email to a different email account. As others have suggested I'd also call the NYC store directly

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads