• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring for Plastic Frames (eyeglasses)

k6s

Reaction score
Just bought a pair of these:

RB5150-2034-50MM__4_.JPG

Wondering (1) how exactly to clean these and (2) how often. After some googling I'm not sure I trust the advice online - esp the part about using dish soap which I'm not sure is safe with the anti-reflective coating on the lenses. Also want to avoid over-cleaning them.

On my last pair there's permanent white gunk on the parts that touch the face. Pretty sure this is from sweat and oils which is really gross. Or maybe it's from the pomade that I use for my hair?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k6s
Just bought a pair of these:
RB5150-2034-50MM__4_.JPG
Wondering (1) how exactly to clean these and (2) how often. After some googling I'm not sure I trust the advice online - esp the part about using dish soap which I'm not sure is safe with the anti-reflective coating on the lenses. Also want to avoid over-cleaning them. On my last pair there's permanent white gunk on the parts that touch the face. Pretty sure this is from sweat and oils which is really gross. Or maybe it's from the pomade that I use for my hair?

Cleaning the lenses with dishwasher soap is by far the best way to clean them. Avoid those fake "cleaning solutions". It is just a diluted soap water. If you are using dishwasher soap you can do it as much as you want. The problem is not the detergent but mis-use. If you rub the lens too hard, it doesnt matter what detergent you use, it will scratch and craze the anti reflection coating. So be gentle. Also, as for the white part on your plastic frames, use rubbing alcohol to remove it. But be careful, use to much or move to slow and it may melt the plastic.
smile.gif
But it will get it off.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON"T use tissue or paper towels. The best is to use a micro fiber cloth made from synthetics. Any optical place has them. They are also ideal for cleaning the screen on your phone, iPad or computer screen.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you put pants on?? Which leg first??

tooshay

Reaction score
Hey, when it comes to keeping my glasses clean, I'll take all the ******* help I can get.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 Tissues should be avoided. 100% cotton shirts, microfiber cloths are usually recommended. To my understanding a substance of equal or higher hardness will cause scratches. It's hard to believe that tissues might be as hard as polycarbonate lenses...

As for the frame, a very prolonged sun exposure might make it prematurely brittle

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads