• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caramel oxfords

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Intersting pair of Crockett & Jones vintage caramel oxfords, probably not in my size. Â (I have no affiliation whatsoever with the seller.) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....y=11503 Would you say based on the picture that these are too light to be worn with a navy suit? They don't seem to have the chocolate patina that is so sought after. I bought a pair of whiskey Aldens, and am trying to work up the courage to wear them with suit. Â Will start with tan this spring and summer, may continue with navy in the fall. Bic

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Italians wear light tan shoes with dark suits and many people wear yellow Timberlands with all casual outfits. We rarely see lighter shoes with dark clothing; therefore light-coloured shoes will stick out and draw attention to themselves. That's a look you either love or loathe.

Experience with your whiskey Alden shoes and see what outfits they look good with and what you feel comfortable with. For a halfway house to wear with navy consider (bitter) chocolate. Probably people will have to look a second time to see that your shoes are brown and not black.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the comment, Mr. Bengal Stripe.

I remember that you offered your opinion when I considered purchasing the whiskey shoes, and I appreciated it then.

I agree that light colored shoes will stand out with dark clothes, and am leaning toward the opinion that the whiskey Aldens deserve to stand out.

My personal opinion but: I see the larger question being whether to wear brown shoes (and their kin) with dark suits or not. If black is always the only choice, then there really isn't much need to distinguish between the bitter chocolates and the light tans.

On the other hand, if one makes the leap to browns, then I say, "in for a penny, in for a pound." Be adventuresome with tan. I will see how many snickers I draw.

Bic
(Making a presentation to the board of directors today, in discrete black oxfords.)

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I like the shoes and the hue as well but I am a fairly conserative guy and I think the shoes would stand out too much with a dark suit. Remember that you'd have to get a matching belt as well and I think the whole look would not flow well as the shoes and the tie would be jarring. For the record, I always wear black shoes with dark suits but I am thinking about wearing dark brown dress shoes with a grey or navy suit. Baby steps....

GBGB

Reaction score
Bic Pentameter,

I feel your pain. I am considering in an investment in some brown shoes, but am very nervous that I will never wear them since the majority of my pants are grays and dark blues (I work in a business casual environment). I, like Ranjeev, need to take baby steps.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It used to be that I wouldn't wear antique tan shoes with navy and charcoal. I got over it. Yes, you'll stand out. Yes, they'll look good. Just do it. Your head probably won't explode.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
On the issue of a matching belt, if one is wearing tan shoes, would a belt of a darker brown be appropriate so as not to draw attention to the waist?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It used to be that I wouldn't wear antique tan shoes with navy and charcoal.  I got over it. Yes, you'll stand out. Yes, they'll look good. Just do it. Your head probably won't explode.

Same here. I prefer dark brown, but I keep finding RLPL/EG shoes at giveaway prices. All of course in antique tan. I've got to wear them somewhere, and I very rarely wear light-colored suits.

That reminds me - anybody know a service that does a good jobs dying tan shoes dark antique brown? I once turned a pair of tan Church's to "antique cognac" (as Vass calls it.) I used black shoe polish. They came out great but it was too much work. From the pics I've seen, Marc Guyot does an incredible job, but it's a bit cost-prohibitive to DHL them to Paris and back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads