• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canon Powershot G10 or.. ?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a slightly more serious camera than my current Olympus mini thing.

I'm impressed with the reviews and stats of the Canon G10. It looks solid and halfway serious. I don't want to go the full SLR route, though.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of this camera and other possibilities in the price range.
I should add that I'm interested in a camera with a viewfinder.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerS...6847190&sr=8-1

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Recently bought a G10. Love it. Sort of wish I had waited for G11 though. The only competition was the Lumix LX3. There are many people here with expertise on this topic, which I lack, but seems like the Lumix is actually the superior camera, just not as easy to live with as your one and only camera, due to the lack of optical zoom. If you're out shooting artsy landscapes/cityscapes though, it's the Lumix all the way. A far faster lens.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
I'm in the market for a slightly more serious camera than my current Olympus mini thing.

I'm impressed with the reviews and stats of the Canon G10. It looks solid and halfway serious. I don't want to go the full SLR route, though.

I'd be curious to hear what you think of this camera and other possibilities in the price range.
I should add that I'm interested in a camera with a viewfinder.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PowerS...6847190&sr=8-1

Why not?

andyw

Reaction score
Check out the Ricoh GRD III. I have the GRD II and am ecstatic with it. Assessory viewfinder, wide-angle and telephoto lens gives it versatility. The full manual mode took some time to master but worth the investment of time to learn it.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Panasonic LX3 has been getting crazy reviews too

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Panasonic LX3 has been getting crazy reviews too

That's the Lumix, I do believe. If it isn't the same camera, it's the one I meant to reference.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size, principally.
Entry level DSLRs are pretty small though compared to what you're looking at.. And same price at least in what you posted vs. UKP edit: especially if you already have a mini walkabout camera

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Entry level DSLRs are pretty small though compared to what you're looking at.. And same price at least in what you posted vs. UKP

edit: especially if you already have a mini walkabout camera

Yes, I suppose buying in UK with Italian card is a plan for savings at the mo.

I like the idea of a pocketable camera, and it seems that most entry level DSLRs have protruding lenses even when fully closed. The G series seem to retract quite well.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andyw
Check out the Ricoh GRD III. I have the GRD II and am ecstatic with it. Assessory viewfinder, wide-angle and telephoto lens gives it versatility. The full manual mode took some time to master but worth the investment of time to learn it.
at $700+ USD in the states, I would rather pony up a little more for a micro 4/3rds number with pancake lens.

aizan

Reaction score
i recommend the canon s90 instead of the g10 or g11. the lens is one stop faster and it fits in a shirt pocket. the sensor is the same size, too. all you get with the g-series is added bulk and inconvenience.

if you're a street ninja, go for the ricoh grd iii...or wait until nov. 12. rumor has it they're announcing a new aps-c compact system.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lx3 zoom seems pretty shortsighted if it's up against the g10. Otherwise I might seriously consider it.
I like the look of the Nikon P6000 all but for the power sapping GPRS facility.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The lx3 zoom seems pretty shortsighted if it's up against the g10. Otherwise I might seriously consider it.
I like the look of the Nikon P6000 all but for the power sapping GPRS facility.

If you're just after a good point and shoot, and own no other cameras, that's the problem I saw with the LX3. As I said though it seems a better camera, in the hands of a pro, for many situations. But for the average guy, the G10 was my choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads