• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Canadian to work in USofA

ikemen

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
hi folks,

i'm in the process of getting a citizenship in Canada, and would like to know what kind of restrictions are there for a canadian to find work over on the stateside?

it comes down to whether i need some kind of work visa to find a job or work in america just like workers from other countries?

i know for a fact that america and canada has some kind of labor trade agreement allowing people in both countries to find work in each others' countries without having to deal so much bureaucratic procedures. how true is this?


really appreciate all the advice you got, thanks!
 

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
4,136
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by ikemen
it comes down to whether i need some kind of work visa to find a job or work in america just like workers from other countries?
Yes.

There's something called a TN visa (I think) that certain types of work is eligible for as well. You can look into that. Not sure about it though.
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,929
Reaction score
2,010
I have a Canadian working for me who is on an H1-B visa. Not sure about the rules, but from what I know, it is a pretty involved process, and an employer needs to really want you to go through the process. In other words, you need some sort of specialized knowledge, whether it be technical or other.

So let me get this straight, you don't even have Canadian citizenship yet, and you are already looking at leaving Canada to work in the U.S.?
 

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Messages
10,137
Reaction score
2,474
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Yes.

There's something called a TN visa (I think) that certain types of work is eligible for as well. You can look into that. Not sure about it though.


TN isn't a visa, but a special status under NAFTA for certain professions. You can work in the US for one year (renewable for up to three) for one company. Some of the professions are scrutinized carefully by US Immigration (management consultant), but others are more or less given a free pass (silviculturist).

I believe you need a letter from a US employer, documentation that you're educated in the profession and $50 USD. Show up at the border and present your case. They look unkindly on you if they get sense that you're planning a longer stay or planning to apply for a greencard.

lefty
 

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
4,645
Reaction score
34
Originally Posted by lefty
TN isn't a visa, but a special status under NAFTA for certain professions. You can work in the US for one year (renewable for up to three) for one company. Some of the professions are scrutinized carefully by US Immigration (management consultant), but others are more or less given a free pass (silviculturist).

I believe you need a letter from a US employer, documentation that you're educated in the profession and $50 USD. Show up at the border and present your case. They look unkindly on you if they get sense that you're planning a longer stay or planning to apply for a greencard.

lefty


Lefty is correct on all accounts. I went through this exact process as a Canadian citizen.
 

ikemen

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2007
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
well gnatty8,

i like to think to think north Am as one big playground. i suppose it wouldnt be tough for me to just drive down to NY or Penn for a job interview if i happen to live in toronto (which is the place i'm planning to stay)?
 

Fabro

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
356
Reaction score
1
The TN visa is the right way to go; there are a limited number of H1B visas every year and you are competing with the rest of the world for those. As mentioned above, the key with TNs is that only particular classifications are OK, and you must have a university degree in that area. For engineers, it's quite straightforward as long as you get all the paperwork in order. For a lot of other professions, it really depends.

I heard that TNs have just been extended to 3 years.

But seriously, maybe you should explore opportunities in your new country a little more.
 

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Messages
10,137
Reaction score
2,474
Originally Posted by ikemen
well gnatty8,

i like to think to think north Am as one big playground. i suppose it wouldnt be tough for me to just drive down to NY or Penn for a job interview if i happen to live in toronto (which is the place i'm planning to stay)?


It's not. The two countries are very different. Perhaps you should spend some time in the country nice enough to let you in before you piss on it and use it as a stepping stone.

lefty
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,929
Reaction score
2,010
Originally Posted by lefty
It's not. The two countries are very different. Perhaps you should spend some time in the country nice enough to let you in before you piss on it and use it as a stepping stone.

lefty


I think this was my first thought also..
 

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
2,287
Reaction score
14
Originally Posted by lefty
It's not. The two countries are very different. Perhaps you should spend some time in the country nice enough to let you in before you piss on it and use it as a stepping stone.

lefty


Originally Posted by gnatty8
I think this was my first thought also..

Nah, I think we'll squeak by (only barely) without him.
 

Nicholas_JD_11

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by lefty
TN isn't a visa, but a special status under NAFTA for certain professions. You can work in the US for one year (renewable for up to three) for one company. Some of the professions are scrutinized carefully by US Immigration (management consultant), but others are more or less given a free pass (silviculturist).

I believe you need a letter from a US employer, documentation that you're educated in the profession and $50 USD. Show up at the border and present your case. They look unkindly on you if they get sense that you're planning a longer stay or planning to apply for a greencard.

lefty


I'm a Canadian currently studying at an American law school, and my international student advisor just emailed me last week to let me know that TN visas are now good for 3 years instead of 1 year, so less paper work for Canadians. Also, I believe they can be renewed an indefinite number of times, at least in theory.
 

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
1,629
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I have a Canadian working for me who is on an H1-B visa. Not sure about the rules, but from what I know, it is a pretty involved process, and an employer needs to really want you to go through the process. In other words, you need some sort of specialized knowledge, whether it be technical or other.

So let me get this straight, you don't even have Canadian citizenship yet, and you are already looking at leaving Canada to work in the U.S.?


I worked for a company that had a lot of candians working for us. Its a pain in the ass as best I could tell, you need the H1-B, but you have to go back to canada every 90 days or something. IIRC the job has to be a special task, something that is in demand, etc...
 

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
4,645
Reaction score
34
Originally Posted by jgold47
I worked for a company that had a lot of candians working for us. Its a pain in the ass as best I could tell, you need the H1-B, but you have to go back to canada every 90 days or something. IIRC the job has to be a special task, something that is in demand, etc...

You don't have to go back to Canada every 90 days on an H-1B visa. However, the process to get an H-1B visa in the first place is quite involved and takes several weeks to get it and there is a national quota on how many can be issued every year.

A TN status, on the other hand, is issued at the airport just as you are departing for the US. It takes a few minutes, assuming you have all the paperwork. There is no quota on how many TNs can be issued. However, TNs are only issued for a limited number of occupations, whereas the H-1B is available for many more occupations.
 

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
1,629
Reaction score
13
its been several years since I worked with them, so yeah I probalby have no clue. I remembered one having to go home every 3 months, and one went home, then had a problem getting back because it was over 90 days or something.

Thats ok, if you think its hard getting into the US, I was looking at transfering to our toronto office (and canadian subsidiary), and that process wasnt even close to worth it.
 

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Messages
10,137
Reaction score
2,474
Originally Posted by mkarim
You don't have to go back to Canada every 90 days on an H-1B visa. However, the process to get an H-1B visa in the first place is quite involved and takes several weeks to get it and there is a national quota on how many can be issued every year.

A TN status, on the other hand, is issued at the airport just as you are departing for the US. It takes a few minutes, assuming you have all the paperwork. There is no quota on how many TNs can be issued. However, TNs are only issued for a limited number of occupations, whereas the H-1B is available for many more occupations.


An H-1B is also limited in renewals, Once, I believe for a total of 6 years. TN Status is unlimited, but after the tenth one they may start to get a little suspicious. Since 911, it's been a bitch for Canadians seeking work in the US unless you can throw a tremendous amount of money at a good immigration lawyer.

lefty
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,241
Messages
9,231,026
Members
193,770
Latest member
Alex2045
Top