• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian to work in USofA

ikemen

Reaction score
hi folks,

i'm in the process of getting a citizenship in Canada, and would like to know what kind of restrictions are there for a canadian to find work over on the stateside?

it comes down to whether i need some kind of work visa to find a job or work in america just like workers from other countries?

i know for a fact that america and canada has some kind of labor trade agreement allowing people in both countries to find work in each others' countries without having to deal so much bureaucratic procedures. how true is this?

really appreciate all the advice you got, thanks!

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ikemen
it comes down to whether i need some kind of work visa to find a job or work in america just like workers from other countries?
Yes.

There's something called a TN visa (I think) that certain types of work is eligible for as well. You can look into that. Not sure about it though.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a Canadian working for me who is on an H1-B visa. Not sure about the rules, but from what I know, it is a pretty involved process, and an employer needs to really want you to go through the process. In other words, you need some sort of specialized knowledge, whether it be technical or other.

So let me get this straight, you don't even have Canadian citizenship yet, and you are already looking at leaving Canada to work in the U.S.?
eh.gif

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Yes.

There's something called a TN visa (I think) that certain types of work is eligible for as well. You can look into that. Not sure about it though.

TN isn't a visa, but a special status under NAFTA for certain professions. You can work in the US for one year (renewable for up to three) for one company. Some of the professions are scrutinized carefully by US Immigration (management consultant), but others are more or less given a free pass (silviculturist).

I believe you need a letter from a US employer, documentation that you're educated in the profession and $50 USD. Show up at the border and present your case. They look unkindly on you if they get sense that you're planning a longer stay or planning to apply for a greencard.

lefty

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
TN isn't a visa, but a special status under NAFTA for certain professions. You can work in the US for one year (renewable for up to three) for one company. Some of the professions are scrutinized carefully by US Immigration (management consultant), but others are more or less given a free pass (silviculturist).

I believe you need a letter from a US employer, documentation that you're educated in the profession and $50 USD. Show up at the border and present your case. They look unkindly on you if they get sense that you're planning a longer stay or planning to apply for a greencard.

lefty

Lefty is correct on all accounts. I went through this exact process as a Canadian citizen.

ikemen

Reaction score
well gnatty8,

i like to think to think north Am as one big playground. i suppose it wouldnt be tough for me to just drive down to NY or Penn for a job interview if i happen to live in toronto (which is the place i'm planning to stay)?

Fabro

Reaction score
The TN visa is the right way to go; there are a limited number of H1B visas every year and you are competing with the rest of the world for those. As mentioned above, the key with TNs is that only particular classifications are OK, and you must have a university degree in that area. For engineers, it's quite straightforward as long as you get all the paperwork in order. For a lot of other professions, it really depends.

I heard that TNs have just been extended to 3 years.

But seriously, maybe you should explore opportunities in your new country a little more.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ikemen
well gnatty8,

i like to think to think north Am as one big playground. i suppose it wouldnt be tough for me to just drive down to NY or Penn for a job interview if i happen to live in toronto (which is the place i'm planning to stay)?

It's not. The two countries are very different. Perhaps you should spend some time in the country nice enough to let you in before you piss on it and use it as a stepping stone.

lefty

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not. The two countries are very different. Perhaps you should spend some time in the country nice enough to let you in before you piss on it and use it as a stepping stone.

lefty

I think this was my first thought also..

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lefty

Originally Posted by gnatty8
I think this was my first thought also..

Nah, I think we'll squeak by (only barely) without him.

Nicholas_JD_11

Reaction score

lefty

I'm a Canadian currently studying at an American law school, and my international student advisor just emailed me last week to let me know that TN visas are now good for 3 years instead of 1 year, so less paper work for Canadians. Also, I believe they can be renewed an indefinite number of times, at least in theory.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I have a Canadian working for me who is on an H1-B visa. Not sure about the rules, but from what I know, it is a pretty involved process, and an employer needs to really want you to go through the process. In other words, you need some sort of specialized knowledge, whether it be technical or other.

So let me get this straight, you don't even have Canadian citizenship yet, and you are already looking at leaving Canada to work in the U.S.?
eh.gif

I worked for a company that had a lot of candians working for us. Its a pain ********** as best I could tell, you need the H1-B, but you have to go back to canada every 90 days or something. IIRC the job has to be a special task, something that is in demand, etc...

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
I worked for a company that had a lot of candians working for us. Its a pain ********** as best I could tell, you need the H1-B, but you have to go back to canada every 90 days or something. IIRC the job has to be a special task, something that is in demand, etc...

You don't have to go back to Canada every 90 days on an H-1B visa. However, the process to get an H-1B visa in the first place is quite involved and takes several weeks to get it and there is a national quota on how many can be issued every year.

A TN status, on the other hand, is issued at the airport just as you are departing for the US. It takes a few minutes, assuming you have all the paperwork. There is no quota on how many TNs can be issued. However, TNs are only issued for a limited number of occupations, whereas the H-1B is available for many more occupations.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its been several years since I worked with them, so yeah I probalby have no clue. I remembered one having to go home every 3 months, and one went home, then had a problem getting back because it was over 90 days or something.

Thats ok, if you think its hard getting into the US, I was looking at transfering to our toronto office (and canadian subsidiary), and that process wasnt even close to worth it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
You don't have to go back to Canada every 90 days on an H-1B visa. However, the process to get an H-1B visa in the first place is quite involved and takes several weeks to get it and there is a national quota on how many can be issued every year.

A TN status, on the other hand, is issued at the airport just as you are departing for the US. It takes a few minutes, assuming you have all the paperwork. There is no quota on how many TNs can be issued. However, TNs are only issued for a limited number of occupations, whereas the H-1B is available for many more occupations.

An H-1B is also limited in renewals, Once, I believe for a total of 6 years. TN Status is unlimited, but after the tenth one they may start to get a little suspicious. Since 911, it's been a ***** for Canadians seeking work in the US unless you can throw a tremendous amount of money at a good immigration lawyer.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics