• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canadian Styles

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The PM
Who that...any reviews/pricing? Can`t I just measure myself an order?

Thanks for the response!

No - let them measure you. Pricing after shipping and duty will be $62 a shirt.

I've been using them for the past 7 years or so. They're probably not as good as MyTailor, etc but they're also half the price.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
To the OP, I am in almost the exact same situation, except I'm 2 inches shorter and probably a little heavier. I can assure you that there is nothing of value in the KW area. Any shopping I do is across the border and online.

The PM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bill Smith
KW? I guess you're in witness protection
smile.gif
. There are a couple of options for you, namely drive to Toronto for the day, Cottonwork, Just White Shirts and Speir and MacKay for shirts, Banana Republic and the Gap have a Canadian portal now, so no duties and shopping in Canadian dollars. So is JCrew for sure coming to Canada in 2011? Edit[ Just had a look at their site blog, it looks like they are setting up a store in Toronto and I have an educated guess where they might set up.]

laugh.gif
Again, I`ll check out those affiliates (hope to score something during a sale).
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
To the OP, You can buy some quality stuff from Brooks Brothers online. They ship to Canada using FedEx. Their on-sales items are decently priced. Just get registered so that they can send you discount/promo codes from time to time.
Decently priced is still costly to the student`s budget but if you insist...
Originally Posted by scypticalchymist
I'm also tall and thin (6'4 175) and find H&M shirts to fit quite well. If you're looking for better quality, I'm sure the MTM options mentioned above are a better option.
Wow...so similar! I`m 170 last time I checked but we're just about the same. H&M huh...what size do you get get? Are the sleeve long enough and do they have slim shirts?
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke
To the OP, I am in almost the exact same situation, except I'm 2 inches shorter and probably a little heavier. I can assure you that there is nothing of value in the KW area. Any shopping I do is across the border and online.
Nice to hear I`m not alone
smile.gif
What are you favorite online sites? Thanks!

ktrp

Reaction score
I'm only 6'3" and I'm in Toronto. Its bad enough for me.

I have a ton of Maxwell's shirts. They are 60-90/shirt including duty. That's a good deal. I have nicer shirts, but even tapered, they don't fit as well, and a 'good deal' on my other shirts is like 120+tax +25 to have them taken in.

Mexx doesn't carry tall stuff as far as I can tell. I can't get mexx jackets that fit me, so you're not going to. Not sure about shirts.

Banana Republic/Gap do not carry tall in Canada, even on their website. If you're over a 34" inseam, things are ugly.

The Americans all love BB. They have a store in Toronto now, I walk past it every day, I haven't been in.

Pricing on a lot of U.S. stuff is nowhere near as good in Canada for reasons unknown.

Saying 'where can I get staples' is pretty vague. What are you looking to buy?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
To the OP,

You can buy some quality stuff from Brooks Brothers online. They ship to Canada using FedEx.

Their on-sales items are decently priced.

Just get registered so that they can send you discount/promo codes from time to time.

Avoid retailers or sellers that use FEDEX or UPS. Those two methods get you whacked on fees.
Stick to USPS sellers.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Maxwell's is coming to your area in January - I suggest a visit and get three shirts made:

http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

KITCHENER

MR. PAUL WONG will be visiting the following town on the listed dates. (PLEASE ASK HOTEL OPERATOR FOR MR. PAUL WONG'S SUITE).

JANUARY 22ND, 23RD, 24TH, 25TH 2011

KITCHENER, ONT.
HOLIDAY INN
30 Fairway Rd. S.
Tel: (519) 893-1211
Fax: (519) 894-8518

+1 on Maxwell's. Nice shirts and fabrics. I have no experience (yet) on Mr. Wong but if TRINI recommends him, you're in good hands.

The PM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
...Banana Republic/Gap do not carry tall in Canada, even on their website. If you're over a 34" inseam, things are ugly...
My jeans are 34x36 and when I sit down, both my entire socks are visible (I thinks thats normal though).
Originally Posted by ktrp
...Saying 'where can I get staples' is pretty vague. What are you looking to buy?
Where I'll get the basics. Shirts (Maxwell's or style forum affiliates), Coats (Jcrew), dress shoes (?), pants (Jcrew or elsewhere) and suits (MTM with Thick As Thieves). Good plan above for getting fitted/slim clothing? If so, thanks for bringing up good tall people choices in Canada.
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Avoid retailers or sellers that use FEDEX or UPS. Those two methods get you whacked on fees. Stick to USPS sellers. +1 on Maxwell's. Nice shirts and fabrics. I have no experience (yet) on Mr. Wong but if TRINI recommends him, you're in good hands.
So USPS=No Duties? Any sites that only use USPS that I should look at (or not due to my height)? So the idea is go to Maxwell in the new year and pick up 3 dress shirts. Then use the measurements to buy clothing online from Style Forums affiliates (I guess their good for deals and giving my measurements). Any store shopping...stick to Jcrew for slim fit cloths or tall sizing.
happy.gif
Unless someone has any last thoughts, I'll keep to this plan to help me get new fitted clothing. Thanks!

juvefan

Reaction score
laugh.gif

Again, I`ll check out those affiliates (hope to score something during a sale).

Decently priced is still costly to the student`s budget but if you insist...

Wow...so similar! I`m 170 last time I checked but we're just about the same. H&M huh...what size do you get get? Are the sleeve long enough and do they have slim shirts?

smile.gif
What are you favorite online sites?

Thanks!

as a student in canada, i've come to the realization that the only way i'll get my hand on brooks brothers or even PRL, is second hand at value village. so far got 5 BB shirts, 2 PRL shirts, and 2 PRL chinos

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
ebay + a good tailor. Seriously.

I'm 6'5", 195, and I live in Toronto. There's nothing to be had in the stores. I've found a couple of shirts at HM that fit ok, and a couple from RW & Co that were ok-ish, but far too boxy (had my tailor add darts for $10 each, and they're much better now).

Indochino is a great option at our size, although it's pretty hit or miss (you'll likely need remakes).

Apart from that, I have a closet full of BB, Corin, and Zegna jackets that cost me between $10 and $200, plus $70 - $110 in alterations for each.

Pants are hard. If you were jeans, APCs are all 36" inseam, although they fit a little short. You can also get stores (like Due West in dt toronto) to order in 36" inseam Nudies, too. For dress pants, it'll probably have to be MTM.

Keep in mind that, at our size, nothing fits. If you don't have a tailor, you might think you have clothes that fit, but it's just because you don't know any better yet!

ktrp

Reaction score
I'll note for my skinny brethren shopping at the eaton center that I've so far had respectable results from Magic Tailor which is right across from it.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
smile.gif
What are you favorite online sites?

For dress shirts, I've had luck with the MTM tailors on this board. Just pick one of the reasonably priced ones (Mytailor, Modern Tailor, Cottonwork). I have not even come close to finding a dress shirt that fits off the rack for me, and I imagine the problem is much worse for you. Even a "slim" fit cut is usually pretty billowy around the midsection for me.

The B&S forums are also huge for me. It is a great resource for anything at very reasonable prices. I've bought shoes, sport coats, dress shirts, trousers, jeans, etc.

I ended up doing a suit from Thick as Thieves last year and it turned out pretty well at the time. Looking back, I wished that I had bought something else though. There are some things about the suit that I do not like.

For denim, I typically purchase from Self Edge or Blue in Green. You can't go wrong with either store, and most of their stuff is available in ~38 inch inseam.

The rest, I pick up on my trips to NYC.

On tailors, avoid "Mark Nunes". His shop does some pretty mediocre work at a ridiculous cost. Every time I had him do something, it would cost 20% more than what he had quoted me and the work was shoddy. Eventually I just cut my losses and gave up with him. He apparently does bespoke...what a nightmare that would be.

If I find anything else in this area, I'll let you know. If you could do the same, that'd be great.

latkaguy

Reaction score
Isn't there a Harry Rosen outlet in KW? If not, try Toronto. Their stuff is not cheap, but they do have a lot of sales that bring their prices down spectacularly. I got a lovely cashmere topcoat there a few years ago that was normally $2,100 but was $795 on a one-day sale. Brooks Brothers is having a sale on shirts now, and is just a few steps from Union Station in Toronto. As for shirts, lots of people here are recommending Maxwell's, but if budget is an issue for you, I have had good luck ordering by mail from Wm Cheng and Son at a price considerably cheaper than Maxwell's ($35 a shirt). Email [email protected] and ask Sandy for fabric samples and the order form. Delivery is within 3 weeks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads