• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Canadian Styles

The PM

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
University student here looking for some good wardrobe staples. My first one is gonna a tall/long pea coat from J Crew (coming to Canada in 2011). Since I'm from the Great White North, a few of the US and international brands aren't here. Where can a tall guy like myself find good clothing?* My mall has RW & CO and MEXX so I might go to Toronto and suburbs to get what's good. *not big and tall...seriousy nothing fits me there and I'm a 6' 5" and skinny (should stress the 'AND' part). You think they launder money or something
 

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
27
Originally Posted by The PM
University student here looking for some good wardrobe staples. My first one is gonna a tall/long pea coat from J Crew (coming to Canada in 2011).

Since I'm from the great white north, a few of the US and international brands aren't here. Where can a tall guy like myself find good clothing?* My mall has RW & CO and MEXX so I might go to Toronto and suburbs to get what's good.




*not big and tall...seriousy nothing fits me there and I'm a 6' 5" and skinny (should stress the 'AND' part). You think they launder money or something


Ordering online is your only hope.
 

The PM

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by johnH123
Ordering online is your only hope.

See...the issue is that pictures lie (colour being darker or whatever), size charts aren't equal everywhere and it's a hassle to return stuff.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong...
 

asdf

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
810
Reaction score
3
1) learn your measurements/sizes and order online
2) Find decent men's stores*
3) Order MTM shirts online
4) Use mall stores sparsely (Jcrew, BR, etc)
5) ...
6) Profit


*Where are you located?
 

The PM

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by asdf
1) learn your measurements/sizes and order online 2) Find decent men's stores* 3) Order MTM shirts online 4) Use mall stores sparsely (Jcrew, BR, etc) 5) ... 6) Profit *Where are you located?
Around the KW area. So what site (Canadian maybe) is for good MTM shirts? Honestly, I still don't know how to do measurements (link on how to do that well?). I read that places like Tip Top Tailor and Stars screw measurements up since they only deal with boxy clothing. *sigh* Must find slim fitting clothing
 

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
27
Originally Posted by The PM
See...the issue is that pictures lie (colour being darker or whatever), size charts aren't equal everywhere and it's a hassle to return stuff.

Maybe I'm looking at it wrong...


You're in the KW area? Phhh...good luck.

Like I said, online shopping. It's trial and error at first and most stores that offer free return shipping can't do it for Canada. But once you nail the sizing with whatever online shops you like then you're good to go. It can be a crap shoot but a couple bucks here or there in shipping is worth it in the long run...at least until J Crew comes to town next year.
 

asdf

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
810
Reaction score
3
I use cottonwork (affiliate at the top of the page here) with great results. Shirts run in the 80-110 dollar range after shipping and duty. Some more tips:

The B&S forum is also your friend; ebay is a a friend and enemy.
Basically all the affiliates are good, check what they have to offer.
There are a few affiliates in the SW&D forum that are Canadian.
 

The PM

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by johnH123
You're in the KW area? Phhh...good luck.

Like I said, online shopping. It's trial and error at first and most stores that offer free return shipping can't do it for Canada. But once you nail the sizing with whatever online shops you like then you're good to go. It can be a crap shoot but a couple bucks here or there in shipping is worth it in the long run...at least until J Crew comes to town next year.


Yeah...tri-cities suck. So let's say I know my measurements, what the difference if I get it in store? Are they online exclusive site with quality fitted clothing? Look like tall clothing is only found online.

Sites?
 

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
653
Maxwell's is coming to your area in January - I suggest a visit and get three shirts made: http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/ KITCHENER MR. PAUL WONG will be visiting the following town on the listed dates. (PLEASE ASK HOTEL OPERATOR FOR MR. PAUL WONG'S SUITE). JANUARY 22ND, 23RD, 24TH, 25TH 2011 KITCHENER, ONT. HOLIDAY INN 30 Fairway Rd. S. Tel: (519) 893-1211 Fax: (519) 894-8518
 

The PM

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by asdf
I use cottonwork (affiliate at the top of the page here) with great results. Shirts run in the 80-110 dollar range after shipping and duty. Some more tips: The B&S forum is also your friend; ebay is a a friend and enemy. Basically all the affiliates are good, check what they have to offer. There are a few affiliates in the SW&D forum that are Canadian.
I'll check cottonwork selection. Buy and sell is usually full of normal people (slim and tall...no where to be found). I was looking for a one stop shop for slim fitted items. I guess I should take my stuff to a tailor...
Originally Posted by TRINI
Maxwell's is coming to your area in January - I suggest a visit and get three shirts made: http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/
Who's that...any reviews/pricing? Can't I just measure myself an order? Thanks for the response!
 

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
1,430
Reaction score
58
KW? I guess you're in witness protection
. There are a couple of options for you, namely drive to Toronto for the day, Cottonwork, Just White Shirts and Speir and MacKay for shirts, Banana Republic and the Gap have a Canadian portal now, so no duties and shopping in Canadian dollars. So is JCrew for sure coming to Canada in 2011? Edit[ Just had a look at their site blog, it looks like they are setting up a store in Toronto and I have an educated guess where they might set up.]
 

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
1,932
Reaction score
165
To the OP,

You can buy some quality stuff from Brooks Brothers online. They ship to Canada using FedEx.

Their on-sales items are decently priced.

Just get registered so that they can send you discount/promo codes from time to time.
 

scypticalchymist

Active Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2009
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
I'm also tall and thin (6'4 175) and find H&M shirts to fit quite well. If you're looking for better quality, I'm sure the MTM options mentioned above are a better option.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 17 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 90 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 161 31.2%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 86 16.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 48 9.3%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 31 6.0%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.5%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.5%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 31 6.0%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,650
Messages
9,202,773
Members
193,238
Latest member
ThePhantomHorse

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top