• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

Lazytiki

Reaction score
Today it was -37 with the windchill in Saskatchewan. Will the Chateau or Banff be appropriate for weather than is sub -20 pre windchill factor on the regular?

Patrick James

Reaction score
^ Tough call. If you size up and layer appropriately, I'd say yes for the Chateau. You'd likely be better off with either the Citadel, Ontario or Expedition, though.

blairh

Reaction score

Today it was -37 with the windchill in Saskatchewan. Will the Chateau or Banff be appropriate for weather than is sub -20 pre windchill factor on the regular?

I'd need to know what you plan on wearing under the coat to properly answer this one.

Lazytiki

Reaction score
I am a student, so just casual clothes. Cotton t-shirt and a sweatshirts that are cotton poly blend (75%/15%). I tried on the expedition and the constable and I think the fit is not what I am looking for for daily casual wear.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get something that covers your legs. Man I hate Minnesota for going down to -20 can't imagine near -40

blairh

Reaction score

As much as I like my Large Chateau, I can assure you that it is not enough protection for -37 when you are only wearing a t-shirt and cotton/poly sweatshirt underneath.

-37 is bitter cold IMO. I almost never recommend the Expedition because it's so bulky and heavy and way too warm for most people but it might be appropriate for your needs. You'll need a jacket that heavy and warm if you really want protection in those temps and are simply rocking those items under your coat.

The Constable is a different fit than the Expedition. It's deemed a 'regular fit' by Canada Goose so it won't be as generous a cut (meaning a little less boxy). At the same time you really should not even be considering a coat that short. You really need a mid-thigh jacket.

You should take a hard look at the Ontario. Not as heavy or bulky as the Expedition but still very warm and certainly warmer than the slim fit offerings by Canada Goose.

Another thought is the Manitoba. Specifically the one SF member Nerdbird owns and might be selling. I don't know if his coat is your size though.

One more idea is the Gormley by the new label CMFR. It's deemed a slim fit but very pricey at retail ($745). Due West had a 15% online coupon recently. Not sure if it still works.

Lastly another option is the Yatesy by Nobis but again that is expensive at retail.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

(I'm curious what size you tried on with the Expedition and Constable. You need to size down at least one size with the Expedition because of the cut.)

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember CG picking up my phone in an instant last year.. Now they aren't even answering the email inquiry! :cloud:

Last edited:

thirdman

Reaction score

For what it's worth, we've been getting the same cold weather here in Manitoba (-20 to -30 before wind chill) over the past few days and I've been wearing the Constable (in a small, which is neither tight nor very bulky on me at 6'3" 180) without any trouble. I've been wearing it with a wool sweater underneath and thick wool mitts, and my body has been just fine after walking for a few minutes. It's true that it's short, but I prefer it that way so that I don't feel like the Michelin man when I'm inside, sitting in a car/bus, etc. I don't know how the Constable compares to the Chateau or Banff (or Expedition or Manitoba...).

Last edited:

blairh

Reaction score

For what it's worth, we've been getting the same cold weather here in Manitoba (-20 to -30 before wind chill) over the past few days and I've been wearing the Constable (in a small, which is neither tight nor very bulky on me at 6'3" 180) without any trouble. I've been wearing it with a wool sweater underneath and thick wool mitts, and my body has been just fine after walking for a few minutes. It's true that it's short, but I prefer it that way so that I don't feel like the Michelin man when I'm inside, sitting in a car/bus, etc. I don't know how the Constable compares to the Chateau or Banff (or Expedition or Manitoba...).

If you believe that the cut of a CG coat determines its warmth, then the Constable would be warmer than a Chateau or Banff and less warm than an Expedition or Heli-Arctic. I'll exclude the Manitoba and Calgary from the equation because those are special edition coats and feature different outer shells.

blairh

Reaction score

I remember CG picking up my phone in an instant last year.. Now they aren't even answering the email inquiry! :cloud:

Anything we can help you with? I've emailed them twice in the past three months regarding two separate issues. The first time they responded after three days. The second time, two days. They should get back to you in 72 hours at the most.

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anything we can help you with?

Oh my such a professional response... May I ask your profession? :embar:
My brother lost his hood for Yukon (It was VERY windy and he was taking it off because of the fur interfering his side vision) & I snapped my side zipper for Manitoba, both happened a couple weeks ago at Yellowstone. I'm trying to see if I can repair the zipper myself without voiding my warranty, and my bro can get a replacement piece.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads