• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canada Goose

blairh

Reaction score

Thanks to some great customer service I was actually permitted to exchange the defective Quartz Nature for another jacket. I went with the Chateau--Gormley wasn't available at this location--and I love it. It turns out the model I had tried on previously and disliked so much was the Banf. Whoops. The Chateau was a bit more expensive, but I'm starting to realize that a lifetime warranty and a reputation based on exceptional construction are worth the extra money. I had to size up to a large, though, compared to a small in the Constable and Chilliwack.

Wow, that is awesome customer service. Especially considering they told you the Quartz was a final sale. I'm glad they came through.

I don't like the Banff much myself. No side pockets and too many buttons for my taste. What was it specifically that you didn't like about it? And do you feel the Chateau is warm? (My memories of Montreal in the winter is supreme cold.) Also, do you layer? (Like sweaters.....)

Considering that CG is most likely getting hit with a price increase next season :mad: now is a good time to purchase (or end of winter when there are occasional discounts).

Patrick James

Reaction score
I had it on today and although it wasn't particularly cold out, I had the impression that this will certainly do the job. Granted, I likely sized up one from how the Chateau is intended to fit because I wanted to avoid looking like the model from SSENSE. This alleviates the overly slim nature of the jacket and permits me to layer, should I feel so inclined. I also feel as though this is a sturdier jacket than the Banf; less of a fashion piece--though obviously more so than the Expedition, Constable and the Ontario. Furthermore, I much prefer the fashion in which the hood is attached to the Chateau compared to the Banf. Then again, I could just be finding excuses for a natural inclination one way rather than the other. Who knows.

blairh

Reaction score

I had it on today and although it wasn't particularly cold out, I had the impression that this will certainly do the job. Granted, I likely sized up one from how the Chateau is intended to fit because I wanted to avoid looking like the model from SSENSE. This alleviates the overly slim nature of the jacket and permits me to layer, should I feel so inclined. I also feel as though this is a sturdier jacket than the Banf; less of a fashion piece--though obviously more so than the Expedition, Constable and the Ontario. Furthermore, I much prefer the fashion in which the hood is attached to the Chateau compared to the Banf. Then again, I could just be finding excuses for a natural inclination one way rather than the other. Who knows.

I'm glad you find it warm. I might buy a large one day (or just try one on in a store).

I kinda hope CG eliminates this model next season. (I doubt they will.) It's been 3 years now that they've had the Chateau and if I ever decide to get one I don't like the idea of it being kinda a popular model. Then again I don't live in Canada so maybe that won't ever be an issue. I'd also like to see them unveil more slim fit models next season.

NerdBird

Reaction score

Thanks to some great customer service I was actually permitted to exchange the defective Quartz Nature for another jacket. I went with the Chateau--Gormley wasn't available at this location--and I love it. It turns out the model I had tried on previously and disliked so much was the Banf. Whoops. The Chateau was a bit more expensive, but I'm starting to realize that a lifetime warranty and a reputation based on exceptional construction are worth the extra money. I had to size up to a large, though, compared to a small in the Constable and Chilliwack.

That's good that they let you exchange the item, even if it was final sale, because the item was defective. I've read that the Chateau isn't as warm as other CG jackets and that it probably couldn't withstand > -10C temps unless you layer heavily. Keep us updated on whether the jacket is indeed warm enough at lower temperatures. I'm still looking for a long parka and might pick up a Chateau if the price is right.

Here's the 2012 Yuki Matsuda collection:

Yuki1.png

Yuki2.png

Yuki3.png

Yuki4.png

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's good that they let you exchange the item, even if it was final sale, because the item was defective. I've read that the Chateau isn't as warm as other CG jackets and that it probably couldn't withstand > -10C temps unless you layer heavily. Keep us updated on whether the jacket is indeed warm enough at lower temperatures. I'm still looking for a long parka and might pick up a Chateau if the price is right.

I posted earlier in the thread; I've worn it in -15 and I wasn't cold, with a little layering. But as it gets consistently colder here in Toronto I can provide more feedback.

NerdBird

Reaction score

I posted earlier in the thread; I've worn it in -15 and I wasn't cold, with a little layering. But as it gets consistently colder here in Toronto I can provide more feedback.

I wore my Manitoba out today with pretty much nothing underneath in like -15C and didn't feel the cold at all. :)

Patrick James

Reaction score
I was out doing some shovelling for the past 45 minutes and according to The Weather Network it's -18 but feels like -26 with the windchill; I didn't feel a thing…aside from on my face. I couldn't be happier right now.

blairh

Reaction score

I was out doing some shovelling for the past 45 minutes and according to The Weather Network it's -18 but feels like -26 with the windchill; I didn't feel a thing…aside from on my face. I couldn't be happier right now.

Any layering?

I'm glad you both find the coats warm. That's the most important thing. And that you got your CG coats before the price hike coming next season. :facepalm:

Read something interesting this morning from a Chateau review on Amazon. It's long and the guy's first language does not appear to be English. However something he wrote stood out.

"Warmth. I was a little bit puzzled when the jacket came. From mountaineering down jackets you get the feeling of the thickness of insulation. This jacket seems not too thick to me. I write to Canada Goose and got a reply quickly (good after sales service) - there are three levels of insulation but they do not state that explicitly. So it depends on the fit - slim insulated has lowest insulation of the Arctic line as I understood. They said they do not provide more detailed information on weight, weight of filling because of fraught. That is an argument but not a compelling one. I assume if I would like to make fraught I would buy some of their jackets and measure but not take infos from the website."

I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to say with respect to 'fraught' (perhaps weight of the coat or the amount of down fill) but it's clear that CG told him that the cuts of the coat play a role in how warm they are. My guess is that the slim cuts are still very warm coats but the larger the cut, the heavier the coat.

Last edited:

colindn

Reaction score
I have to laugh a little when people opine that the chateau isn't warm enough. I live on an island off an island in the middle of the north atlantic. We routinely get 100km/h winds and wind chills down to -40 or so. I've never had an issue with the insulation and have even worn it ice fishing with minimal layering underneath. Might not do the job above the arctic circle, but I don't think anyone here is in that boat.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe he was trying to say "fraud"?

And maybe someone can educate me, the CG coats that I looked at, most of them seem to have 625 fill-power down. Is that not an insulation rating?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe he means fraud

but yeah this makes sense ... "My guess is that the slim cuts are still very warm coats but the larger the cut, the heavier the coat."

blairh

Reaction score

Maybe he was trying to say "fraud"?
And maybe someone can educate me, the CG coats that I looked at, most of them seem to have 625 fill-power down. Is that not an insulation rating?

625 is reference to the fill power of the down found within the coat. Via REI's website: "Down is graded according to fill power, which indicates how many cubic inches 1 ounce of down occupies when placed inside a container. Down ranges from 450 to 900 fill power. Higher numbers indicate a higher quality of down, with more air-trapping ability. Down with higher fill-power numbers includes fewer feathers and uses bigger, more mature down plumules. Larger down clusters are more durable and can better withstand repeated compressing."

But it goes beyond fill power. You also need to consider the amount of down found within the coat (rarely told by the company) and the outer shell the coat is comprised of.

I have an 800 fill Patagonia down jacket, and while it's super warm, it's also made of polyester ripstop material and not necessarily any warmer than a Chateau, etc.

You'll find that cheaper parkas tend to be in the 500-550 down range. Most of CG's coats are 625. My dad's Marmot is 650.

The bottom line is that all CG coats are very warm. But to different levels for sure.

Last edited:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's the 2012 Yuki Matsuda collection:
Yuki1.png

Yuki2.png

Yuki3.png

Yuki4.png

Cords?? :confused:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads