• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can someone explain Einstein and gravity to me, please?

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Thanks, that clears just about everything up
smile.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrewc2232
Now place your apple somewhere near the Earth. Due to the sag of space-time caused by the earth, the apple will naturally "roll" down the incline towards the earth's center.

No, it doesn't. There's an elephant in the way.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
It think it would be easier to try to understand special relativity first, before you tackle general relativity. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time, and between momentum and mass. You'll learn the meaning of the famous E=mc^2 The book I used is this: http://www.amazon.com/Spacetime-Phys.../dp/0716723271 and I found it very easy to follow. GR adds gravity into the mix, and it makes things much more complicated Most physicists don't ever use (or even learn) general relativity, as it's simply not relevant to most fields. At my school, GR is offered as a graduate elective only, and I don't plan to ever take it. But if you want to go there, then by all means.... Some friends of mine took the class, and they enjoyed it. They said it requires a lot of math. I think you can achieve a popular understanding of special relativity with little more than high-school math, but general relativity uses things like tensors which one usually doesn't learn until until he has taken several semesters of college math and/or physics.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
No, it doesn't. There's an elephant in the way.

ROFL - Is this a reference to what a kid wrote on his science test?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the only way to know is to learn it for real, translation between science to natural language is always hard, and very prone to error. As we always need to draw analogy, and analogy doesn't really exist in such case (or at least the ones most people are familiar with).

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
ROFL - Is this a reference to what a kid wrote on his science test?
Good call.
no-there-is-an-elephant-in-the-way.jpg
Here's something I've always wondered... if there's no true inertial frame of reference, how does something like centrifugal force work?

aKula

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
No I was thinking of mass increasing with increasing velocity
smile.gif

I have a feeling reading a book written by one of the most brilliant minds ever, may lead to more confusion... but I'll certainly give it a bash.

Also, mass distorts both space and time, yes? In what manner does a massive object distort time?

I still haven't got an answer to the apple thing, btw
frown.gif

I think the explanations in this thread have been pretty good.

To give you a quick answer to your question, the stronger the gravitational field, the slower time moves.

So if you had a non-rotating planet and had a clock at the base and at the top of a 1km tower, the clock at the top would move faster.

I say non-rotating so we don't have to calculate any special relativistic time dilation as the relative velocity between the clocks is 0.

Just some background: I'm in my first year of a masters degree in physics now. The maths in general relativity is difficult compared to the other subjects.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Here's something I've always wondered... if there's no true inertial frame of reference, how does something like centrifugal force work?
Centrifugal force isn't real. We define it as an outward force felt by an observer in a rotating reference frame. A rotating reference frame is not inertial, so the force isn't "real". It's simply something we use to make certain calculations easier. What people typically call "centrifugal force" is really just a superposition of centripetal force (the central force that pulls a rotating object toward the middle) and inertia.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ComboOrgan
It think it would be easier to try to understand special relativity first, before you tackle general relativity. Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time, and between momentum and mass. You'll learn the meaning of the famous E=mc^2 The book I used is this: http://www.amazon.com/Spacetime-Phys.../dp/0716723271 and I found it very easy to follow. GR adds gravity into the mix, and it makes things much more complicated Most physicists don't ever use (or even learn) general relativity, as it's simply not relevant to most fields. At my school, GR is offered as a graduate elective only, and I don't plan to ever take it. But if you want to go there, then by all means.... Some friends of mine took the class, and they enjoyed it. They said it requires a lot of math. I think you can achieve a popular understanding of special relativity with little more than high-school math, but general relativity uses things like tensors which one usually doesn't learn until until he has taken several semesters of college math and/or physics.
Not a bad nontechnical primer.
Originally Posted by unjung
http://www.amazon.com/Brief-History-.../dp/0553380168 It's not a mistake that it's one of the best-selling science books of all time.
This one sucks. I wouldn't recommend Hawking to anyone. Wanna know all about General Relativity? This is what you want: http://www.amazon.com/Gravitation-Ph...40/ref=sr_1_2? In simplest terms, the metric (or measure) for spacetime is distorted by mass to that formerly "straight" lines are curved. This plays out as a "force".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads