• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

can a suit jacket be shortened?

oscarhobson

Reaction score
I recently bought my first new suit in over 25 yrs. When I tried it on the pants were too short and the jacket was too long. The jacket is 2 1/2" longer than my (very) old suit jacket. Holding my arms at my side my fingertips barely reach the end of the jacket. It goes down to the middle of my thighs. I probably should have paid more attention when I made the purchase, but I have very little experience with this and I was trusting this shop to give me a proper fit.

When I complained and spoke with the tailor there, he said he could lengthen the pants, but if he shortened the jacket it wouldn't look right. I spoke with the manager there and he said they wouldn't take the jacket back, but if I wanted to speak with one of the owners I could. One of the owners referred me to an email address for "the person who handles this sort of thing".

The email response now is that they would lengthen the pants and shorten the jacket by 1 1/2", but I would have to pay for the jacket shortening.

Is jacket shortening typically done? What would this do to the look of the jacket? Wouldn't the position of the pockets and the proportions of the jacket be off? I'm also thinking that it would still be 1" too long, and from what I've read, as a shorter person (5'6") I don't think I would want a longer than normal jacket.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Oscar Hobson

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oscarhobson

One of the owners referred me to an email address for "the person who handles this sort of thing".

The email response now is that they would lengthen the pants and shorten the jacket by 1 1/2", but I would have to pay for the jacket shortening.

Is jacket shortening typically done? What would this do to the look of the jacket? Wouldn't the position of the pockets and the proportions of the jacket be off? I'm also thinking that it would still be 1" too long, and from what I've read, as a shorter person (5'6") I don't think I would want a longer than normal jacket.

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Oscar Hobson

Hello Oscar,

what a story! And who is the person who handles that kind of things (the butcher?!)?

I think, as you referred, that will look real dumb with a shortenend jacket and the position of the pockets (and buttons). Of my point of view there will be no 100% solution. Because of that the 'butcher' is only shortening less (it's a compromise).

Yours
GN

And I forgot: Send Pictures!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A jacket CANNOT be shortened 2.5". In my experience 1" is maximum.

Chalk this experience as money lost, use your new suit as dish rag or something unless you want to look like a dork in your overlong jacket on a diminutive stature.

And avoid the same suit store like the plaque. Obviously they have no style clue and the aftersale service sucks.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can shorten a jacket a bit, but I agree with lee that about an inch or so is usually the most. The exact amount depends on the style details a bit, so don't take it as an absolute figure. But a total of 2.5" to get the length you want... nah, almost certainly not a wise decision.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh dear - an expensive lesson for you tom pay heed to what you are buying at the time. If the shop keeper won;t take it back then give it to a second hand shop or burn it are your two options.

It will look hideous if you wear it as you have found and even more hideous if you try to shorten the jacket by anything more than half an inch - even that is too much.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
A jacket CANNOT be shortened 2.5". In my experience 1" is maximum.

Chalk this experience as money lost, use your new suit as dish rag or something unless you want to look like a dork in your overlong jacket on a diminutive stature.

And avoid the same suit store like the plaque. Obviously they have no style clue and the aftersale service sucks.

Or better yet, tell everyone here the name of the store and we will avoid it like the plague as well. In my opinion that is what the internet is best at - a free soapbox. If you bought this suit on line that would be one thing, but stores that say they will fit you for a suit should not be able to get away with this sort of thing.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I would continue to insist they exchange it. It would cost them nothing. OR, just wear it long. Shortening it will look worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads