• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kidtwist91
What did you treat these with?

Is it just me who is seeing the jar of Obenauf in front of the boots, or is it not obvious enough?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boots treated with the Obeneauf's gradually begin to look like the boots that were not treated. If you applied that stuff once and wore the boots often, in some time they would look pretty much just like they would had you never applied it. If you want to keep the look of the just-treated Katahdins, you need to re-apply the stuff regularly.

The boots do seem to break in more easily and better with the treatment. That's a big plus & selling point for the yellow waxy stuff.

confab

Reaction score
I posted these pics over on SuFu but they may be of interest here too, a pair of Katahdins from the 50s or 60s:

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, it's amazing how much they haven't changed over the years. Those look almost identical to the current Katahdin boots.

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beowolf
I really like the look of these boots, I tried to find them at Tysons corner in DC, but sadly they don't have them in stock.

damn... are they getting anymore soon?

Fiddy

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of these this week, curious to see how they age in comparison with my Iron Rangers. I just treated them with Sno Seal today, will post some shots once they get some wear...

rcd213

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
You're not talking about the Tyson's Corner LL Bean, are you? Because they don't carry these boots there.
Agh, I was really hoping to try them on so I could get a better idea on my true size in these. Do you know if they're ever going to have them in stock, or is it just an online exclusive? Thanks in advance to any replies.

Fiddy

Reaction score
For those of you who are having trouble w/ sizing, I wear:

*9 in L.L. Bean Katahdin
*8 in Clark's DB
*8 in Chucks
*7.5 in Tricker's Stow
*8.5 in Jack Purcells
*8 in Red Wing Iron Rangers

I don't believe that L.L. Bean stocks these boots in their retail locations (at least mine didn't). I would recommend trying on their waterproof boot and then just order the cap toes over the phone -- they are sized exactly the same. Also, if you place a phone order for the boots while you're at the store they'll hook you up with free shipping...

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confab - those are awesome

They carry Katahdins at some retail stores, but not all.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by confab
I posted these pics over on SuFu but they may be of interest here too, a pair of Katahdins from the 50s or 60s:

Anyone know of a thread or anywhere that shows a way to expedite boot aging/patina developmnet? I don't feel like waiting 60 years - and all Google comes up with when I search for "shorten boot aging time" is how to speed up windows vista "boot" time - get it..?

pandamonium

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rcd213
Agh, I was really hoping to try them on so I could get a better idea on my true size in these. Do you know if they're ever going to have them in stock, or is it just an online exclusive? Thanks in advance to any replies.

They just don't carry them, and there aren't other other LL Beans in the DC metro area where you can check.

However, you can call the store and have them mailed to you (or order online yourself) a pair in your size: the consensus seems to be to order true-to-size or a half size small. If they don't fit, you can return those to the Tyson's Corner LL Bean.

One of the previous posts mentioned a code for free shipping. No loss.

rcd213

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pandamonium
They just don't carry them, and there aren't other other LL Beans in the DC metro area where you can check.

However, you can call the store and have them mailed to you (or order online yourself) a pair in your size: the consensus seems to be to order true-to-size or a half size small. If they don't fit, you can return those to the Tyson's Corner LL Bean.

One of the previous posts mentioned a code for free shipping. No loss.

Thanks for the info! I'll order them in my purcell size and hope for the best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads