• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zach9

Reaction score
I am looking to buy my first suit and would like to spend less than $500. So far I am considering SuitSupply Napoli fit ($469), J.Crew Ludlow fit (ebay around $400), and possibly a Hickey suit from Gilt. I want either a dark grey or navy and it must be a slim fit. Any more suggestions?

Subtleyjewish

Reaction score
A word of advice from a fellow young'n: super-skinny lapels and ties may be popular with the GQ crowd, but I urge you to think twice about a more traditional width. My first real suits were all Calvin Klein, two notch and two peak lapels, which aren't super skinny, but are definitely narrow. My father, a Brioni power-suit guy, derided my choices, but I went ahead anyways. All four suits were slim-fit, but the family tailor still did a few hundred dollars worth of alterations to make them perfect. While I still wear them, I'm much happier wearing some of my father's old suits--don't worry, another few trips to the tailor--with more traditional lapel widths. While thin lapels and ties have gone in and out of fashion along with the ultra-wides, a conservative middle-ground has always been the province of the upper echelons of corporate America. It can be difficult to find office-appropriate ties that aren't disproportionate to thin lapels, or perhaps that's just my bias towards the Italian old-guard. In any event, as Tom Ford says, a wider lapel paired with a sharply tailored body helps define the natural-V of the male torso, and gives off a powerful, and masculine, image.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snag a Regent or Fitzgerald from Brooks Brothers during a sell or through the B&S forum here.

They're slim but not totally over-the-top. I think the skinny lapels and skinny tie thing is fading. I also don't think it looks good, but that's subjective ...

Subtleyjewish

Reaction score
I've found myself going on the Suitsupply website more and more frequently. I definitely like the Napoli fit for a traditional Italian vibe, and I think that the Washington and Washington half do a wonderful mix of English dandy and business. You can't go wrong with any of them.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the sharp peaks on some of those lapels but it's personal preference. I kind of like the blue check Havana coat.

zach9

Reaction score
just to reiterate, i'm not going for the skinny tie and ultra slim suit look. I just want something that has a flattering fit and will last.

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Skinny or slim fitting doesn't suit everyone and really depends on personal style. Just because it's trendy in your office doesn't mean you have to follow them. And skinny doesn't work well with all body types. Just make sure the suit is tapered close to the body but not too skinny. Keep the colors classic like navy or charcoal grey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads