• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1339620
It used to clearly say shipping cost and "via Global Shipping Program" but I guess eBay changed it recently so now it's not as clear. Now the difference is GSP will have a line for import charges. Import charges show as 0.00 in this example but sometimes it goes up on checkout, so the buyer may not have known there were import charges until you accepted the offer. Don't know if that's a bug.

If I see Import charges I ask the seller to ship directly to me; most of the time they are willing.
And in this case, they might not have seen it until they accepted my offer. Definitely seems like a bug.

How does shipping directly, unless the customs forms get fudged (which I won’t do) avoid charges?

Shipping direct is definitely the way to go, I've had a lot of buyers ask to do this recently and have yet to run into an issue.
I’m considering being willing to do this. I’m basically the 10th grader using GSP to avoid paperwork. Is it really that easy? And does it save money even if I fill everything out totally honestly? I haven’t shipped anything internationally in years, that was to Canada, and took forever. Buyer didn’t seem to mind though. I think y’all’re just all being held hostage up there.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And in this case, they might not have seen it until they accepted my offer. Definitely seems like a bug.

How does shipping directly, unless the customs forms get fudged (which I won’t do) avoid charges?

I’m considering being willing to do this. I’m basically the 10th grader using GSP to avoid paperwork. Is it really that easy? And does it save money even if I fill everything out totally honestly? I haven’t shipped anything internationally in years, that was to Canada, and took forever. Buyer didn’t seem to mind though. I think y’all’re just all being held hostage up there.

Shipping directly doesn't necessarily avoid charges. However, there are things that should have charges. My understanding is that NAFTA makes it so that goods that originate in the US (MANUFACTURED) won't be charged import fees to Canada or Mexico. There may be other similar trade arrangements with other countries. I think that using GSP clears all that information and makes it so the customers will be charged regardless.

And yes, shipping international is easy. You'll want to get some to get some Customs Forms pouches:

https://store.usps.com/store/produc...ustoms-form-envelope-form-2976e-P_FORM_2976_E

Printing the forms is easy. Priority Mail will take two sheets of 8.5x11 paper, cut into 4 copies. Make sure you sign each one and put them in the proper order in the ouch.

First Class to DelCon countries is even easier, taking half of an 8.5x11 sheet. You can buy label sheets that perforated for 2-up labels.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shipping directly doesn't necessarily avoid charges. However, there are things that should have charges. My understanding is that NAFTA makes it so that goods that originate in the US (MANUFACTURED) won't be charged import fees to Canada or Mexico. There may be other similar trade arrangements with other countries. I think that using GSP clears all that information and makes it so the customers will be charged regardless.

And yes, shipping international is easy. You'll want to get some to get some Customs Forms pouches:

https://store.usps.com/store/produc...ustoms-form-envelope-form-2976e-P_FORM_2976_E

Printing the forms is easy. Priority Mail will take two sheets of 8.5x11 paper, cut into 4 copies. Make sure you sign each one and put them in the proper order in the ouch.

First Class to DelCon countries is even easier, taking half of an 8.5x11 sheet. You can buy label sheets that perforated for 2-up labels.
Awh, geez. Scissors, proper order, perforations. How’s a guy with an 8th grade education supposed to cope!?

The fact that I *may* have done more doesn’t change the fact that I do have an 8th grade education.

Also, thanks for the link.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even if eBay sucks and will blame you no matter what, I like the global shipping program because they’re the one’s getting the bullshit, Ooh, you never mailed it complaints.

madeinbogota

Reaction score

It really is pretty easy, besides having to write things out on the actual label. I think for a lot of countries, avoiding the GSP does save the buyer a decent amount of money, and that's of course with still being completely honest with everything. Like many have said before me, falsifying customs forms is a legitimate crime, and if buyer's ask to falsify before they purchase, I just avoid them, but if they ask after they purchase, I just send it anyways since I know I'm covered (kudos to @capnwes for that tip).

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It really is pretty easy, besides having to write things out on the actual label. I think for a lot of countries, avoiding the GSP does save the buyer a decent amount of money, and that's of course with still being completely honest with everything. Like many have said before me, falsifying customs forms is a legitimate crime, and if buyer's ask to falsify before they purchase, I just avoid them, but if they ask after they purchase, I just send it anyways since I know I'm covered (kudos to @capnwes for that tip).
What are you having to write? The customs forms are typically filled online and generated by eBay for me.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
What are you having to write? The customs forms are typically filled online and generated by eBay for me.
That's what I'm referring to, I think it was you who said a few months ago that if buyers ask to claim the value as lower after they've already paid, you just ignore it since the form was already filled out and send it anyways.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Presidents Day doesn’t affect the 48 hours for opening unpaid item cases, does it?
I don’t understand why someone accepts an offer, and then doesn’t pay right away. How fast can you develop buyer’s remorse?!
This is supposedly the main point of the eBay managed payments. Once it fully rolls out buyers default payment method will be automatically charged when they win an auction or an offer is accepted. Similar to amazon or poshmark. This should eliminate most unpaid items, though I can foresee it causing an increase in returns.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That would be so much easier for me as a buyer. I like how on other sites, it’s just a two-click process (‘buy’ and ‘are you sure?’). I still can’t fathom why people would need an extra series of steps after confirming yes, yes I want to buy this...

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know there’s been some discussions about NAD cases and item color but I haven’t yet dealt with one myself. As far as I can see on my screens, this picture very clearly shows red and light blue. Listing didn’t specifically state the accent color though. What’s my course of action? Really don’t want to affect my seller rating and pay return shipping because this buyer had a change of heart.
00529A70-1D8D-4CEF-99EF-34552235BF6F.jpeg DA8D0CC1-CE6A-4E7A-9852-2647BA7464C5.jpeg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there’s been some discussions about NAD cases and item color but I haven’t yet dealt with one myself. As far as I can see on my screens, this picture very clearly shows red and light blue. Listing didn’t specifically state the accent color though. What’s my course of action? Really don’t want to affect my seller rating and pay return shipping because this buyer had a change of heart.
View attachment 1339921 View attachment 1339922

If you didn’t describe the contrast color, and the buyer didn’t ask before buying, you should* be able to fight this.

*Point out to the eBay rep that you didn’t call out the accent color. Also point out that the main color of the tie is red, and that on your screen (and mine), the accent color appears as a light blue.

If buyers are going to be that picky, they need to ask questions before committing to buy. That said, it always helps to describe as many colors as you can.

This may also require a sympathetic, and experience, eBay rep.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I understand correctly, I'd really only want to ship First Class to DelCon countries, right? Because I'd have no tracking elsewhere without Priority?

Is there a price point where you shouldn't use First Class but should only use Priority International, or is First Class just as good/safe? I'm assuming that you only really save by using FC, not Priority.

Anyway, I've modified a couple of my listings to allow Priority Int to at least some locations, but it still let me leave GSP on the listing as well. I'm assuming that means that in the countries that I didn't specifically include for direct shipping, GSP is still available? Or are both somehow available to those buyers? For comparison sake, could a couple of you from Canada, UK, other Europe, or Japan take a look at these two listings and tell me what you see for shipping options? First is the one with direct shipping available and the second still just has GSP. Otherwise they are similar shoes with similar weights. If you don't want to clutter up the thread with that, PM is fine. Thanks guys.

Direct Ship
GSP only

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, I'd really only want to ship First Class to DelCon countries, right? Because I'd have no tracking elsewhere without Priority?

Is there a price point where you shouldn't use First Class but should only use Priority International, or is First Class just as good/safe? I'm assuming that you only really save by using FC, not Priority.

Anyway, I've modified a couple of my listings to allow Priority Int to at least some locations, but it still let me leave GSP on the listing as well. I'm assuming that means that in the countries that I didn't specifically include for direct shipping, GSP is still available? Or are both somehow available to those buyers? For comparison sake, could a couple of you from Canada, UK, other Europe, or Japan take a look at these two listings and tell me what you see for shipping options? First is the one with direct shipping available and the second still just has GSP. Otherwise they are similar shoes with similar weights. If you don't want to clutter up the thread with that, PM is fine. Thanks guys.

Direct Ship
GSP only

Both listings are showing up as GSP. I think if you're offering GSP it automatically overrides any other shipping methods you offer. :(

Direct Ship:

1582222827154.png

GSP only
1582222791255.png

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've eliminated GSP on the direct ship listing.
I wonder why they were different. Does the selling price impact that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads