• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a topcoat / overcoat for a young professional

mikeway2000

Reaction score
I will be starting as a banking analyst in NY this summer, and I'm somewhat lost on getting a topcoat or a overcoat for work. My suit size is 36, which makes it tougher to find suitable options. The general consensus seems to be that I need 2 coats, a raincoat and a wool coat. I picked out the raincoat already, and the following are some wool coat options that I found... opinions?

1. DKNY coat for $300
http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/DKNY/t...s/searchResult

2. Getting a coat for <$150 from Burlington Coat Factory e.g.
http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.com...=o_s1_67650095

3. TM Lewin's Chesterfield for $330 or so including shipping
http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/product.asp...sJackets!NO696

4. Getting a tailored coat from Rajawongse - they quoted $450 for cashmere but I suspect that regular wool may do for me.

Furthermore, I want to know what are the important factors when getting a coat in terms of fit and wool weight. I would like to go for a well-fitted look if possible. In that regard, what are the differences between a Chesterfield coat and a regular American overcoat in terms of fit and wool weight? Also, what is the opinion on Lewin in general compared to American options? I am also thinking about getting a suit from Lewin at the same time. Recommended?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

m_wave

Reaction score
Do not use Rajawongse had a suit made to fairly specific requirements and it was un wearable..

mikeway2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies! The Hickey coats look great, although I am hoping to spend under $350 if at all possible. Maybe in a year or two...

My experience with Rajawongse was much more positive, possibly because I personally went in for a fitting while I was in Bangkok. The jacket turned out great, but I was not 100% satisfied with the trousers and had to get them redone elsewhere.

Any input on what to expect from a Chesterfield coat means in terms of fit and weight?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could try Jcrew as well.

Don't forget to size up one if you plan on wearing a suit jacket or blazer under your coat.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Don't forget to size up one if you plan on wearing a suit jacket or blazer under your coat.

Actually, overcoat sizes already take this into account. I would not recommend sizing up.

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
Definitely don't size up. Theoretically, you should wear the same coat size as the jacket size for your suit. However, I usually size down for a good fit - I wear a 45 suit jacket, but I got a 44 topcoat so that it would fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads