• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a fake rolex

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask yourself why you want a badly-made fake Rolex so much more than an original, well-made watch from another brand in a near-identical design.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SVS
Fake teeth are better IMO

+100

I don't like the idea to wear a fake ROLEX. And there are too many words to explain your attempt (if it is ok no explanation is necessary). So you already know!

what is really poor: to buy a fake one and want quality! WTF???

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
maybe you can write about this fake Rolex in your application to Harvard Law. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=91234
Great effin' find Tarmac!!
lol8[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
In all seriousness, I let the thought of buying a fake pass through my mind, but couldn't bring myself to do it. If you're looking to get a something that looks like a Rolex why not look at some of the Seiko Automatic Divers or the automatics from Invicta? Invicta is brand that basically makes watches that are supposed to look very similar to more famous and expensive models (Rolex, Omega, Bell & Ross). That and you can spare yourself the moral delimma and the sleepless nights wondering if somebody will call the Bar Association Ethics Hotline eight years from now. Of course, statute of limitation would probably apply, but why take a chance.

m_wave

Reaction score
Buying a fake watch is kind of like burning the CD then buying the 12" if I really like it and when I can afford the album.

It's less than ideal, but it's very easy to take the high moral ground when you have the means to do so..

DuncanM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Why are people so hostile on the subject, as someone mentioned in another post watches are more or less toys for grownups. If buying a replica offends you, for the love of god buy the original.

Because it is illegal tool. No one likes a poser.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Why are people so hostile on the subject, as someone mentioned in another post watches are more or less toys for grownups. If buying a replica offends you, for the love of god buy the original.

Why do peple who do douchebag things get so hostile when they're called a douchebag?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DuncanM
Because it is illegal tool. No one likes a poser.
I actually don't think that it's illegal to own a fake watch in the US although it is in certain European countries. Selling is another matter however. Edit: Just to add, I remember reading a report a year or two ago of US customs seizing some guy's haul of several fakes on a return trip from the far east. My point is that if you just have 1 fake or whatever, I don't think you're going to get into trouble. I may be wrong however.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fake. If you can't afford a Rolex, why do you want to make people think you can?

Toorman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I've seen some pretty impressive Panerai knockoffs in the city streets of NYC.

Curious, as all the Panerai knockoffs I've seen on Canal St. are laughable, not even in the ballpark and not worth 5 dollars let alone 50 or 100 or 250. Now, if you wanted to buy an Omega, they seem to have those down pat.

Nizdar

Reaction score
I make no judgments about the legal aspect of fake watches. Copyright law is based on very complex ideas, and one only needs to look at the music industry to see all the difficult issues.

That being said, why do you want a fake rolex? To me, high class people don't own expensive things to show off or grab attention. They wear them because they (and perhaps close friends and family) appreciate the value and special nature of the items. Since you didn't ask about any specific model Rolex, I assume it isn't the design you are in love with.

Just some advice, the only thing most people hate more than actual rolex wearers (far and away the choice of the "nuevo riche" and striver group, not to say they are bad watches), is people who care enough to wear a fake rolex.

Please. Just don't be that guy. You are not that guy. (or at least don't have to be that guy).

(On an unrelated note, I am a recent graduate of NYU Law and work in NYC "Biglaw" if you have any questions about that stuff. (saw your other post).)

PolePosition

Reaction score
A watch repairman friend of mine who works on Rolex's, Omega's, etc., told me there are some very good knockoffs out there that he wouldn't hesitate buying because they are fractions of the real deal price (even though he works on them he can't justify their pricepoint) and look good and are mechanically very sound. Unfortunately I don't have his contact info since he moved away.....BUT that being said, perhaps you can find watch repairmen out there that can help you in your endeavor?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads