• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a fake rolex

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can buy a Seiko SKX007 on ebay for $147, which is less than the price of a decent knockoff Submariner. If you buy a replica, most likely some part will fall off and get lost within 6 months. The Canal Street replicas which I saw were junk and won't pass the "wrist test". By that I mean that they are easily identifiable as fakes. Quality control is not an issue with Seiko, and the 007 is a classic design. Go to a jeweller and handle a Seiko diver. You may be surprised at the quality.

I own a couple of high quality replica watches which easily pass for genuine, and they get zero wrist time. I wear a Seiko daily and have a vintage Wittnauer for a dress watch.

GloStiX

Reaction score
The cool thing about the internet is that you can find a solid community of people passionate about anything imaginable.

OP Check your PM's.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got one in Korea - I actually wasn't looking for a fake Rolex, but it was so garish I had to get it. It didn't last long, but it was fun to wear on those nights when I was feeling a little . . . manouche

Also, anyone with 1/2 a brain could tell at a glance it wasn't real. Gold president with a diamond / meteor dial??? No way that exists in nature

Mauby

Reaction score
You realize of course, everyone will assume it's fake when you wear it, right? Do most people wear a $5000-10000 watch with a $300 suit and $60 shoes?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
It didn't last long, but it was fun to wear on those nights when I was feeling a little . . . manouche

True. I take it back, everyone needs a fake Rolex for that time of the month when you feel Manouchey.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex is the most imitated brand available. If you can't find another brand that is of reasonable quality ($300 - $1000) that looks like Rolex but does not copy the name/break the law then you aren't looking hard enough.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
You can buy a Seiko SKX007 on ebay for $147, which is less than the price of a decent knockoff Submariner. If you buy a replica, most likely some part will fall off and get lost within 6 months. The Canal Street replicas which I saw were junk and won't pass the "wrist test". By that I mean that they are easily identifiable as fakes. Quality control is not an issue with Seiko, and the 007 is a classic design. Go to a jeweller and handle a Seiko diver. You may be surprised at the quality.

I own a couple of high quality replica watches which easily pass for genuine, and they get zero wrist time. I wear a Seiko daily and have a vintage Wittnauer for a dress watch.

This is my experience also.

Royal Berk

Reaction score
Why would anyone want a mass produced replica of something that is itself mass produced?

ccc123

Reaction score
wanting a real one is questionable enough wanting a fake one...... I'm afraid I would be talking with my self. If you don't know all the reasons why you shouldn't, they by all means run right out there and do your thing. I'm sure you will be making the statement that sums you up by what you wear.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nizdar
I make no judgments about the legal aspect of fake watches. Copyright law is based on very complex ideas, and one only needs to look at the music industry to see all the difficult issues.
Well not really. It's based on a pretty simple notion - don't copy other people's **** without their permission. The rest of your post makes a lot of sense though
smile.gif
That being said, why do you want a fake rolex? To me, high class people don't own expensive things to show off or grab attention. They wear them because they (and perhaps close friends and family) appreciate the value and special nature of the items. Since you didn't ask about any specific model Rolex, I assume it isn't the design you are in love with. Just some advice, the only thing most people hate more than actual rolex wearers (far and away the choice of the "nuevo riche" and striver group, not to say they are bad watches), is people who care enough to wear a fake rolex. Please. Just don't be that guy. You are not that guy. (or at least don't have to be that guy). (On an unrelated note, I am a recent graduate of NYU Law and work in NYC "Biglaw" if you have any questions about that stuff. (saw your other post).)
OP - I vote for getting a Seiko Diver as well.

djf881

Reaction score
I don't really understand the hate here on Rolex. The Submariner is a great watch and a classic. The Omega Speedmaster is an interesting chronograph because of its association with NASA, but the Omega Seamaster gets a total cosmetic revamp way too often, and I think this indicates that the watch is an ephemeral fashion item rather than a timeless essential man-thing.

Omega has also gone in for the "big watch" trend, with Planet Oceans in 43 and 45 mm sizes, while the Sub, Daytona and GMT are relatively sedate at the same 40 mm size they've always been. Breitling and Panerai are both popular for making bigger, shinier watches than Rolex. IWC is also a respectable choice, but there's nothing nouveau riche about buying a Submariner.

I wear the ceramic-bezel GMT Master II, and I know some people may assume it's fake, and many people wearing similar watches are wearing fakes. If you know what a Rolex is supposed to look like, most of them are wrong in obvious ways. But most people don't know what a Rolex is supposed to look like.

I also generally assume that almost every one of those LV monogram canvas handbags I see people carrying around is fake, and I expect, if I had a basic knowledge of what the stitching and hardware and patterns were supposed to look like, I could probably identify most of the fakes pretty easily. But I don't.

The $400+ fakes that look and feel really close are primarily a concern because a lot of people will try to sell them as real secondhand watches. For this reason, it is dangerous to buy any watch online.

The new stuff Rolex is integrating into its line offers some phony protection. The expensive ceramic bezel is likely to be much more difficult to fake, both in look and feel, than the older, cheaper aluminum ones. The new clasp that is currently on the Daytona, GMT and DeepSea, (and I think some of the new DJs) is also much more complicated than the old folded clasp, and will be a point where fakes can be identified.

Also, Rolex has started engraving each watch's unique serial number on the rehaut at the 6 o'clock position. A watch's warranty card will now have the name of the store where it was originally sold, the name of the original buyer and a serial number corresponding to the one on the watch rehaut, which should provide enough of a paper trail to create a reasonable amount of fraud protection. If the watch is more than five years old, there should be a service record.

djf881

Reaction score
I make no judgments about the legal aspect of fake watches. Copyright law is based on very complex ideas, and one only needs to look at the music industry to see all the difficult issues.

It's really not. If it says "Rolex" on it and it's not a Rolex, then it's not legitimate. The harder question is what, if anything can be done about it. To the extent there is federal criminal implications, the companies can pressure authorities to try to seize more fake goods.

But if the factory making the watch and the website selling the watch are foreign and located in places that are uncooperative, then there's little that can be done.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joeygladstone
Canal Street in NYC.
I was just there, didn't see any fake rolex watches, but some guy was selling awesome falafel
Originally Posted by djf881
I don't really understand the hate here on Rolex.
I think that it has to do with douche bags adopting them as the status watch of choice (though I'd argue that mantles been passed to Panerai). They are sort of like BMW's and Cristal in that sense - probably a pretty good product unfairly characterized by the morons who have adopted them as symbols of personal validation. Also, based only on my own personal observations, their quality was really hit-or-miss in the early 90's. In sum: "douche bag quotient" + "perceived poor quality in a supposedly high quality watch during a time when many of us were buying our first watch" = hate for rolex I think rolex puts out a pretty good product these days. If I ever have some $$ to burn I'll probably pick up an Air King next, unless I feel the need to emphasize the size of *******, in which case I'll get a Pan. Black Seal
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads