• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burberry Prorsum thread

Forwards

Reaction score
I know, I know - a thread about a label that is long dead?
I am slightly obsessed by Prorsum. Naturally, I think there is something to discussing its aesthetics, the designers’ take on the ideas behind the brand, favorite pieces, found stuff for sale, British style in the future - to name a few topics.

To admins: I searched, but could not find a dedicated thread. Move me there if you can.

Forwards

Reaction score
I start.
I am writing an essay on British style and Brexit. It should be illustrated by Prorsum looks.
Is anyone sitting on digital or paper press kits, look books, or the like? Please do message me.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea they dropped the labels wow. And I always thought the Brit (and London) stuff was a slightly more recent cash grab move, guess I'm out of the loop.

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea they dropped the labels wow. And I always thought the Brit (and London) stuff was a slightly more recent cash grab move, guess I'm out of the loop.

I think it happened around the time of Bailey's departure? Never looked at brit or london much but honestly I was just here for shearlings.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it happened around the time of Bailey's departure?

Yeah, they then adopted the italicized Burberry, London England logo for a brief transitional period, and churned out Bailey's back catalogue until they got Tisci to **** up the program.

Forwards

Reaction score
The label timelines is an excellent question. Anyone with definite knowledge is more than welcome to speak up. I will add my understanding later.

Forwards

Reaction score
Warning: Speculation. Please correct.

As far as I can tell, this is either the format of early Prorsum labels or, less likely, fakes:

C5881F85-D0C4-4946-9156-A951F15739D0.jpeg
Notably, these say “PRORSUM COLLECTION”, which no others do, again to my admittedly limited knowledge.

These are probably replaced by the black labels with “PRORSUM” written out:

9E4CBFB4-695A-41F3-A404-B8588C26482B.jpeg

C09AC875-3858-44B7-A308-D30640F3CD3D.jpeg

They are not to be confused with other Burberry labels explicitly saying “BLACK LABEL”. That was for a time the higher-end line of regular Burberry.

The period referred to above as “churning out Bailey pieces”, after the line was dropped, seems to coincide with this gold on black label:

A7FF5EA9-5BF1-454A-BFBC-37425C07AB2F.jpeg

Any still-remaining tags will vary with the label. Earlier tags seem also to be white. Later, they generally seem to be black.

About 90 per cent of vintage resellers think that any Burberry logo where the knight’s banner says PRORSUM is Prorsum clothing. That is not the case.

Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry Prorsum collection > Burberry established 1856 > All-black Burberry Prorsum >
iu

(this was also used during the last times of Bailey's regime, the gold on black version being used for his designs denoting the short-lived Burberry runway line (never named as such on tags)

Last edited:

Forwards

Reaction score
From what stage is the picture? The “Established 1856”? Or some stage at the very end?

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reading comprehension? That picture is the final tag before Tisci, the gold on black version pictured below is the final one under which you could see Bailey's work:
IMG_0245.JPG

How are you 'obsessed' over something you don't know the bare bones about? Also, we're not here to do your schoolwork for you :p

Forwards

Reaction score
Hei, rauhoittua.

I was thinking that the thread could be for sharing what one knows.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads