• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brokers Fees! #@%#%

samblau

Reaction score
I spent the past week in NYC looking at apartments. Manhattan is a joke...I drop little hints like, "I was in construction/real estate and lost my job" and "I am a native NYer, lived in Manhattan, Queens and Broklyn etc." and they STILL won't admit that it is a soft market. Than they show STUDIO apartments that have some crap drywall thrown up, not to code, that are now magically 2-bedrooms. Anyway, I found a great apt. in Brooklyn, not cheap, and a broker found a way to kill it. We saw an apt. and left a deposit THAT DAY contingent on the acceptance of our terms, essentially $100 off the asking rent and an option for a second year, which has never been a problem before, even in the boom years i.e. '04. The property owner said no to both, according to the broker! We then offered to pay the full asking rent! Now the broker says no to that, no to an option year, and that they are entitled to a 15% fee on a one-year rental! On top of that, they claim that they are entitled to keep a $500 deposit check even though no lease was signed and our application was contingent upon the acceptance of our terms. It says on our application that my roommate is a Manhattan Assistant District Attorney and that I am an attorney who works for the US Federal Courts and this broker, a licensed professional, thinks he is going to get a free $500! Unbelievable! The owner is willing to pay 1/2 of one months rent as a fee. For under 5 minutes of work the broker want us to write them a check, payable in full immediately, for OVER $3000 NON-NEGOTIABLE, in addition to what they are receiving from the owner, for a place we may stay in for one year only as the landlord will clearly try to jack up the rent next year. We called their bluff, and now I am receiving multiple phone calls and e-mails telling me that I am unreasonable for not agreeing to a deal that is essentially paying above market rent, an above market fee and receiving no assurance that I can afford to stay next year. The economy sucks, the finance/law.prof. people who would otherwise be paying these rents are leaving in droves or downsizing and here they have two people ready, willing and able to pay the full asking rent + a "kill fee" if necessary and their greed is going to kill the deal. $5400. Thats what they think they deserve. Over $400 a month based a one year lease. Am I wrong, is this really how the brokers operate?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
crazy.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
I spent the past week in NYC looking at apartments. Manhattan is a joke...I drop little hints like, "I was in construction/real estate and lost my job" and "I am a native NYer, lived in Manhattan, Queens and Broklyn etc." and they STILL won't admit that it is a soft market. Than they show STUDIO apartments that have some crap drywall thrown up, not to code, that are now magically 2-bedrooms. Anyway, I found a great apt. in Brooklyn, not cheap, and a broker found a way to kill it. We saw an apt. and left a deposit THAT DAY contingent on the acceptance of our terms, essentially $100 off the asking rent and an option for a second year, which has never been a problem before, even in the boom years i.e. '04. The property owner said no to both, according to the broker! We then offered to pay the full asking rent! Now the broker says no to that, no to an option year, and that they are entitled to a 15% fee on a one-year rental! On top of that, they claim that they are entitled to keep a $500 deposit check even though no lease was signed and our application was contingent upon the acceptance of our terms. It says on our application that my roommate is a Manhattan Assistant District Attorney and that I am an attorney who works for the US Federal Courts and this broker, a licensed professional, thinks he is going to get a free $500! Unbelievable! The owner is willing to pay 1/2 of one months rent as a fee. For under 5 minutes of work the broker want us to write them a check, payable in full immediately, for OVER $3000 NON-NEGOTIABLE, in addition to what they are receiving from the owner, for a place we may stay in for one year only as the landlord will clearly try to jack up the rent next year. We called their bluff, and now I am receiving multiple phone calls and e-mails telling me that I am unreasonable for not agreeing to a deal that is essentially paying above market rent, an above market fee and receiving no assurance that I can afford to stay next year. The economy sucks, the finance/law.prof. people who would otherwise be paying these rents are leaving in droves or downsizing and here they have two people ready, willing and able to pay the full asking rent + a "kill fee" if necessary and their greed is going to kill the deal. $5400. Thats what they think they deserve. Over $400 a month based a one year lease. Am I wrong, is this really how the brokers operate?

I always just go on to Carislist and look for no fee (sure they take a cut somewhere, but at least price is transparent to me). It is a soft market now, buyer has a lot ways to negotitate, I just move to mid town for something that's about 30%, 40% less than what it would have been back in 2007 (and I was able to negotitate on the price they offer). Summer is not the greatest time to look for things though, lots lease coming up, many people will be looking at the same time.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where are you looking in Brooklyn exactly by the way? There are cheap area and there are expensive area in Brooklyn (not much cheaper than Manhattan is what I mean).

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
Where are you looking in Brooklyn exactly by the way? There are cheap area and there are expensive area in Brooklyn (not much cheaper than Manhattan is what I mean).

I lived in Bk Heights for three years, loved it, want to go back. Also considering, DUMBO, Ft. Greene. Cobble Hill, Park Slope etc. Apparently every mid 20's NYer earns $150k a year and has no debt.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to be looking at apartments in NYC starting next week. At this point, I have decided that I am not going to do it through a broker. I will be moving to NYC for the first time, and I have no experience hunting apartments in Manhattan, but I have heard some serious **** regarding brokers and I really don't want to go down that alley unless I really have to.

If you have any advice regarding finding apartments in nyc, that would be great.

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
I am going to be looking at apartments in NYC starting next week. At this point, I have decided that I am not going to do it through a broker. I will be moving to NYC for the first time, and I have no experience hunting apartments in Manhattan, but I have heard some serious **** regarding brokers and I really don't want to go down that alley unless I really have to.

If you have any advice regarding finding apartments in nyc, that would be great.

Unfortunately, some apts. are not listed by owner. Believe me, no fee or by owner is the way to go. Very few professions can make lawyers look good. Brokers do it with ease.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be a dick, but... paragraphs please?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use nybits.com to find no fee apartments. You'll deal with the management company directly. Streeteasy.com is the best site for NYC real estate. You can search for no fee rentals there too. In addition it is best if you filter for the apartment to include an address then it will be a broker exclusive.

In general, I've found it easier to look at apartments directly from the managing agent. Also many are offering 1 month off.

I've been pounding the pavement the past couple weeks looking for a new place. The market is soft.

chas

Reaction score
I am in the market for a NYC rental as well. I looked at several places yesterday on the UWS and Morningside Heights. I have lived here for 7+ years and it seems that there are quite a few no fee deals out there. However, pricing still has a ways to drop. I wish my lease was up in October instead of July.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not to be a dick, but... paragraphs please?
Originally Posted by samblau
I spent the past week in NYC looking at apartments. Manhattan is a joke...I drop little hints like, "I was in construction/real estate and lost my job" and "I am a native NYer, lived in Manhattan, Queens and Broklyn etc." and they STILL won't admit that it is a soft market. Than they show STUDIO apartments that have some crap drywall thrown up, not to code, that are now magically 2-bedrooms.

Anyway, I found a great apt. in Brooklyn, not cheap, and a broker found a way to kill it. We saw an apt. and left a deposit THAT DAY contingent on the acceptance of our terms, essentially $100 off the asking rent and an option for a second year, which has never been a problem before, even in the boom years i.e. '04. The property owner said no to both, according to the broker! We then offered to pay the full asking rent!

Now the broker says no to that, no to an option year, and that they are entitled to a 15% fee on a one-year rental! On top of that, they claim that they are entitled to keep a $500 deposit check even though no lease was signed and our application was contingent upon the acceptance of our terms. It says on our application that my roommate is a Manhattan Assistant District Attorney and that I am an attorney who works for the US Federal Courts and this broker, a licensed professional, thinks he is going to get a free $500!

Unbelievable! The owner is willing to pay 1/2 of one months rent as a fee. For under 5 minutes of work the broker want us to write them a check, payable in full immediately, for OVER $3000 NON-NEGOTIABLE, in addition to what they are receiving from the owner, for a place we may stay in for one year only as the landlord will clearly try to jack up the rent next year.

We called their bluff, and now I am receiving multiple phone calls and e-mails telling me that I am unreasonable for not agreeing to a deal that is essentially paying above market rent, an above market fee and receiving no assurance that I can afford to stay next year. The economy sucks, the finance/law.prof. people who would otherwise be paying these rents are leaving in droves or downsizing and here they have two people ready, willing and able to pay the full asking rent + a "kill fee" if necessary and their greed is going to kill the deal. $5400. Thats what they think they deserve. Over $400 a month based a one year lease. Am I wrong, is this really how the brokers operate?

I find those to be helpful as well.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poorsod
Use nybits.com to find no fee apartments. You'll deal with the management company directly. Streeteasy.com is the best site for NYC real estate. You can search for no fee rentals there too. In addition it is best if you filter for the apartment to include an address then it will be a broker exclusive.

In general, I've found it easier to look at apartments directly from the managing agent. Also many are offering 1 month off.

I've been pounding the pavement the past couple weeks looking for a new place. The market is soft.

I am using nybits as well. Care to expand a bit more on the "market is soft" statement? What areas are you primarily looking into?

chas

Reaction score
For what it is worth I am looking to find a 1 br in the $2500 range. I am looking primarily on the UWS. But am open to anywhere on west side (Morningside Heights, UWS, Clinton, Chelsea, West Village).

In all of your searching (those who have posted in this thread) let me know if you see any good deals. I will do the same.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best interior I've seen is in the Sessanta on W60th near WEA. Brand new building with interiors designed by Andres Escobar. Great appliances and 10 ft ceilings. $3k for 800 sq/ft 1 brdm + 1 month off which is about $2750. It even has it's own tennis court. The con is that the location is kinda remote which kills it for me. *sigh*

YMMV as I've been focusing on westside from 59th to 72nd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads