• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

British shoe sizing

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MPS,

Excuse the naive question - what is the throat of a shoe?

edit ... sorry, just re-read your message. I gather the throat is the area of the shoe that is below the laces. I do have a rather high in-step, which is perhaps why the .5 size larger was suggested for me (this was for the Downing, though, on the 330).

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
In correspondance with PLal on the issue of C&J sizing, I received this:

"We normally find that our US D width customers go for 1 number smaller in UK E width but we're also aware of reports that the handgrades run one-eighth to a quarter size smaller than their benchmade counterparts. So if your US size is 9D, your choice will be UK8.5E (probably) for the handgrades and UK8E for the benchgrades."

They seem to indicate that the Handgrades actually tend to run smaller than the Benchgrade lines.

Thoughts from those with experience?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"we're also aware of reports that the handgrades run one-eighth to a quarter size smaller than their benchmade counterparts.....They seem to indicate that the Handgrades actually tend to run smaller than the Benchgrade lines.

Thoughts from those with experience?
I think that is right on. They told me the handgrades run a little tighter, so I went for an F width in the Downing and it fits perfectly. I'm ordering a pair of Chiltern boots, which are their normal bench grade, and in these I'm going back to an E, based on their recomendations. We'll see what happens.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread and move it to the top, since at the time it seems like a lot of people had shoes on order and were waiting to see if they fit when they arrived. I personally am trying to figure out what size I am in C&J in both handgrade and benchgrade. Currently, I'm a 10.5D in Aldens and in C&J 330-last shoes available in American sizing from Ben Silver. The C&J's are a little tight, however. From this, I conclude (based on this thread): For C&J 337-last in English size, I am a 10E. For C&J benchgrade, I am a 9.5E. I am looking to order up some Audleys and Caterburys from Plal, and I need to make some decisions.
smile.gif
Regards, Montecristo

scm996

Reaction score
I am a US size 9D and the handgrades in 8E on 337 last fits me pretty well. If anything, it feels a quarter size longer in length than I would have ideally preferred. I would not recommend going a half size larger (8.5E in my case) as they would very likely run too long.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I don't have much to add to the mix but this cautionary tale.  I was very happy when C&J offered to recommend a size after I had sent them outlines of my feet.  I took the tracings at night, when I assumed my feet were their largest. I sent the tracings by mail (not fax), and described the shoes I was interested in.  Models in the 337 last were on my list.

C&J made recommendations, but based on the sizes of other English shoes in my closet, I added 1/2 to them.  The models in the 337 last that I recieved (even with my 1/2 size adjustment) were simply too narrow to be worn out of the box. I have stretched them several times, and they are now wearable, but they will never be the most comfortable dress shoe in my closet.  This situation may apply only to my Fred Flintstone shaped foot, and your mileage may vary.  As someone who has ordered at least a dozen shoes over the Net (mostly with good result, the above tale notwithstanding)I can say with conviction that nothing really beats trying the shoe on.

Bic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads