• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Brioni to sell 25% stake

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Eustace Tilley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
What does that have to do with anything?

+1 - they're just selling a minority stake to raise capital. Companies do it all the time.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do I need a hammock if I can't ski ?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How come they didn't put it in the B&S thread?!

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
How come they didn't put it in the B&S thread?!

Could post it on ebay with a BIN....you know live.com discount and all....

Regards.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
above 20% is pretty significant

Agreed- it could mean changes to what they make, how they make it, etc. Not to imply that those changes, if any, would be for better or worse.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interestin. a sign of the times in the current economy, maybe, where sellers of luxury items may not be making their sales numbers as projected. however, i've found recent brioni items to be an improvement in quality over the past few years, with more visible handwork in the chest/ behind the lapels, etc. in their latest model. I think the more they go after kiton customers, the more they will try to step it up in perceived quality of make.

I just wish they'd change their dumb advertising campaign, and go back to the way they did it in the 80's and 90's.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Agreed- it could mean changes to what they make, how they make it, etc. Not to imply that those changes, if any, would be for better or worse.

I agree as well. I was dealing with a client who has a 4% stake in a company and he is VERY influential with the board of directors. I'm curious as to why bonds were not issued instead if they were just looking for some extra money.

And I am also curious about quality. Anytime you see cost cutting, it's to increase profits, and you increase profits to appease your shareholders. Look what happened to Prada, Church's (after prada bought them), and Jil Sander (after Prada bought them - and subsequently sold them after the brand nose dived a while ago). There are dozens of other examples out there, and history says the more public you go, the more cost cutting you will do.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brioni no longer required 2 years of formal training for its button sewers. A shame.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
I can already guess what kitonbrioni will be posting in "Recent Purchases" soon.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they have unions in Italy?

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I agree as well. I was dealing with a client who has a 4% stake in a company and he is VERY influential with the board of directors. I'm curious as to why bonds were not issued instead if they were just looking for some extra money.

And I am also curious about quality. Anytime you see cost cutting, it's to increase profits, and you increase profits to appease your shareholders. Look what happened to Prada, Church's (after prada bought them), and Jil Sander (after Prada bought them - and subsequently sold them after the brand nose dived a while ago). There are dozens of other examples out there, and history says the more public you go, the more cost cutting you will do.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brioni no longer required 2 years of formal training for its button sewers. A shame.

The debt markets are stagnant and highly illiquid, causing debt securities to be overpriced. If they issued debt they'd be likely paying a very high interest rate (~10 - 15%), severely constraining cash flow going forward. Now's not the time to be raising debt capital.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiLLscaLLion
The debt markets are stagnant and highly illiquid, causing debt securities to be overpriced. If they issued debt they'd be likely paying a very high interest rate (~10 - 15%), severely constraining cash flow going forward. Now's not the time to be raising debt capital.

This makes sense. I know corporate and real estate bonds are suffering right now.

I wonder what Brioni's bottom line is going to look like this quarter.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
This makes sense. I know corporate and real estate bonds are suffering right now.

I wonder what Brioni's bottom line is going to look like this quarter.

Does Italy even do bonds like we think of in the US?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 133 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 120 15.6%
  • 31 - 40