• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brilliant Pics of the Aurora Borealis

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LittleHorn
Since an AB photo is one with a relatively high subject brightness range (SBR) -the brightness of the lights compared to the darkness of the sky- than the photographer should go with a spot metering of the AB. That way the photographer can get the proper exposure that their looking for in regards to the AB. Spot metering is an underused technique, but once you understand it, and can implement it. Your photos exposures will be noticeably better.

Basically the photographer probably spot metered to get the brilliant contrast between AB and night sky.

There are too many discrepancies in these photos to be just spot metered. The stars show tracing and the clouds are showing movement. The more I look at these the more I think they are HDR composite images.

LittleHorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
There are too many discrepancies in these photos to be just spot metered. The stars show tracing and the clouds are showing movement. The more I look at these the more I think they are HDR composite images.

Ahh HDR. Yeah probably. The tracing and movement have nothing to do with the spot metering. The long exposure would cause that.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LittleHorn
Ahh HDR. Yeah probably. The tracing and movement have nothing to do with the spot metering. The long exposure would cause that.

Went looking through EXIF data on a few Aurora pics that look similar to the ones linked above. f2.8, shutter from 5 to 22 seconds and ISO 1600. That explains the HDR look.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AJB
I went to Iceland in October. When I was there I saw the aurora and it was incredible - lucky enough to meet a photographer with a better camera than mine who could capture it and this is his flickr site - I was there for the one titled Seltjörn - amazing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eyjovil...7624775519528/

his link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eyjovil...7624775519528/

Enjoy

badass!

so on tv they always show them moving fast and whipping around - is that how it really is or does it move slow and they just time lapse it?

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
what are the exposure times on these images? having never seen the AB, I am suspicious that very long exposures are making these look more intense than reality.

You're right. I'm sure it's completely lame and not worth you looking up into the sky to see it...

Some things just are never good enough for people.

janinvan

Reaction score
Awwwe so pretty. I haven't seen an Aurora in like 10 years or something. I had a friend from the Yukon who was so blase about it. I still think it's magic.

AJB

Reaction score
They kind of shimmer in and out - not whipping around but they can appear and dissappear quickly - like bands of color passing over your head

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads