• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bread Thread

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I will.

What book were you using btw?

I'm going to be using the bread baker's apprentice. Were you using the right type of flour? Did you mist the oven and put a pan of water in the bottom? Did it rise overnight? Did you use a pre-ferment? did you use a baking stone? Scoring the bread almost parallel with loaf isn't just a cosmetic thing. You should definitely buy the BBA if you're serious about bread. It explains every step and the reasons for doing things a certain way very well.

No book - Michael Ruhlman's bread baking app + this post http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=112

I just had some time, felt like trying to make bread, and went ahead and did it.

Flour: King Arthur unbleached bread flower

Oven was wet, and poured boiling water into a cast iron skillet in the bottom. There was a lot of steam.

I let it rise for ~2 hours, punched it down, let it rise another hour, rolled it out with a rolling pin (was this wrong - maybe this is where I squeezed out the air), formed into baguettes, then let rise another 45 minutes. So about 4 hours total.

No pre-ferment.

Used a pizza stone. I assume it's the same thing as a baking stone.

Scoring: I didn't even think that maybe there was some functional reason to score the bread. Also, I just cut straight down.

Maybe a baguette to start is a bit ambitious. I may try a boule next.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
No book - Michael Ruhlman's bread baking app + this post http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=112

I just had some time, felt like trying to make bread, and went ahead and did it.

Oven was wet, and poured boiling water into a cast iron skillet in the bottom. There was a lot of steam.

I let it rise for ~2 hours, punched it down, let it rise another hour, rolled it out with a rolling pin (was this wrong - maybe this is where I squeezed out the air), formed into baguettes, then let rise another 45 minutes. So about 4 hours total.

No pre-ferment.

Scoring: I didn't even think that maybe there was some functional reason to score the bread. Also, I just cut straight down.

Proper baguettes are very high-maintenance, and fairly high up the learning curve. I would start on boules or bâtards using similar dough to the dough you'd use for baguettes.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
King Arthur Flour runs and honest-to-God artisan bakery at their headquarters in Vermont, and they have a series of videos about the various steps in bread production recorded there and narrated by their bakery staff up on their website. I've found them very useful -- the shaping and scoring ones in particular taught me more about how to do it than lots of verbiage in lots of books.

Speaking of books, my favorite bread book is Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman, the master baker who runs the KA bakery. It's more like a textbook for professional bakers, but I've found it excellent for home use.

Originally Posted by KJT
First try at making bread, turned out very tasty but I was a little disappointed in the crust and the size of the bubbles inside. The crust was too thin and not very "crusty". Any suggestions on how to get bigger bubbles? More yeast? Let it rise in it's final shape for longer? Either way, it was a good first try and I will be posting more.

jc8Du2.JPG

Originally Posted by KJT

No pre-ferment.

If I recall correctly, Ruhlman's ratio for bread calls for 60% hydration (5 parts flour to 3 parts water). That's not enough water to get the open crumb that you're looking for in baguettes. You really want something in the neighborhood of 65-67%. The shortage of water in your bread is exacerbated by using the KA bread flour -- the higher the protein content of the flour (KA bread flour has 12.7% protein), the more water it can take. Regular old KA AP flour works fine for most artisan-style bread. I pretty much just use the KA bread flour for things that need extra chewiness, like bialys.

(Additionally, I think that you would probably improve your results by folding the dough an hour into the bulk fermentation -- see the KA mixing and folding video at the link above. You don't need to worry about de-gassing the dough while shaping. That's exactly what you're supposed to do, although using a rolling pin isn't the best way to do it.)

Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm picking up my type 55 flour at post office tomorrow so i'll probably give it a try this weekend if my baking stone arrives.

Are you getting the KA French-style flour or real Type 55 from France?

JGP.

Reaction score
Well I finally made something today that I was really happy with. First time I was able to get some real air pockets, I think the key was using a starter that I prepared the night before. Ate this for dinner with some brie and fig spread, it was delicious. Fresh out of the oven:
5788732373_34572994fa_z.jpg
Slices to show texture:
5788449553_8cfa0b6e39_z.jpg
(I loosely followed this recipe if anyone wants to know)

henrikc

Reaction score
Texture looks great, but the crust is a little too dark for my taste. Making a loaf right now, currently preheating the cast iron pot in the oven, and I think it's going to be a great one. Will post pictures afterwards. Edit: all right. Not so pleased about the texture, but the crust is super crunchy and delicious. I think I used slightly too much yeast, it smelled somewhat of yeast when I took it out, so that's a bummer. Anyways, I'm planning on using a slice or two as a side dish to my dinner tonight, I'm thinking buttering up one side with garlic butter and putting some cheese on the other side and grill them in the oven.

bullrams

Reaction score
Reviving this thread -- wonder why it stopped? Health conscious?

My first attempt at Focaccia.

2 and 1/8 cups flour
1/2 tbsp salt
6oz water
1.5 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp baking powder

Kneaded it and now letting it sit for 2 hours (another hour to go). Let's see what happens.

Attachments

• 91CCD7C6-F20E-46B4-ABC3-B4B69981ADEC_1_201_a.jpeg
    91CCD7C6-F20E-46B4-ABC3-B4B69981ADEC_1_201_a.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 24

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nice! Don't forget to get some flaky salt on it. A recent effort on my part.

6A307B08-9602-4C93-8B0C-A2536ABF8BB3.jpeg
D0F1E448-6060-47C6-A4E5-32D85D690CF2.jpeg

bullrams

Reaction score
Yea, I saw that in the other thread - looks great!

Intend to load it in the oven at 550F for 18 minutes.

Yes, will use flaky salt, thanks!

bullrams

Reaction score
Umm, not good. Too crusty. Sprinkled it with garlic, oregano and chili flakes in butter and olive oil. With flaky salt.

Attachments

• D78C0BA7-F255-494C-B4BC-7802C3BD291C.jpeg
    D78C0BA7-F255-494C-B4BC-7802C3BD291C.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 85

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Watch this.

bullrams

Reaction score
Ah, thanks!

So many mistakes on my part. Cold water. Not enough olive oil. Instead of massaging, I was punching (metaphorically) the dough.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads