• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bourbon.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been off bourbon for a while due to prices going crazy compared to Scotch (have also gone up a lot) But I did see that Dickel 15 recently. What's the consensus verdict on the Dickel 15s? Big age statement and relatively small price. Are they anywhere close to Blantons etc?
Totally different flavor profile to blantons, but very good value.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dickel’s pretty damn hard to beat at every price point, at every age, IMHO.

I don't think I could disagree harder with this. That said, de gustibus, etc, and enjoy!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think I could disagree harder with this. That said, de gustibus, etc, and enjoy!

The one disappointment I've had was the 17 year old Dickel "cask strength" I picked up before Christmas (few pages back I'm sure). It really was very good, and probably one of the best testing whiskies I will drink this year, but the $250 price tag was just a little too steep in all honesty. I would have bought this sub $150 all day long, but I have to be honest, it just didn't warrant the $200 step up in price (from the 15 year old) for a 2 year step up in age.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. What would be your alternative suggestion?

Wild Turkey, by a million miles. 101, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve single barrel picks, and 12/101 export are all less than a hundred bucks at retail and only the 12/101 has a secondary markup. Even then, it's gettable for less than $200. I think they also beat Dickel rye at every pricepoint, though that's a closer call and more of a preference question.

My favorite bourbons all come from Heaven Hill, but they've been almost entirely priced out of being competitive in the sub-$50 market for a few years now.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wild Turkey, by a million miles. 101, Rare Breed, Russell's Reserve single barrel picks, and 12/101 export are all less than a hundred bucks at retail and only the 12/101 has a secondary markup. Even then, it's gettable for less than $200. I think they also beat Dickel rye at every pricepoint, though that's a closer call and more of a preference question.

My favorite bourbons all come from Heaven Hill, but they've been almost entirely priced out of being competitive in the sub-$50 market for a few years now.

Wild Turkey, as competitive to Dickel Single Barrel or 15 year old? Certainly interesting alternative, but I had tried Rare Breed twice (both times, found myself trying to figure out how it was different from plain old Wild Turkey). Heaven Hill BiB is a decent bourbon for under $50, but I would pick the Dickel BiB all day long even if it were the same price. As for their other brands, they just never had any oomph for me. Again though, very subjective, but pretty surprised at the Wild Turkey by a mile, much less a million miles lol

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“… by a million miles”?!?!? 😂 Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge Wild Turkey Rare Breed fan for sure. I always have a bottle of 101 on hand for mixing as well, and dig the Rare Breed Rye too. None of the Russell’s really did it for me for whatever reason. I still believe Dickel has it beat across the board.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I respectfully suggest that if you've tried and not enjoyed a Russell's Reserve single barrel bourbon, especially a Camp Nelson A or F or a McBrayer B, we're not only never going to agree on bourbon, but we're not going to agree on much else that involves tastebuds, either.

Again, de gustibus. Enjoy all the Dickel you can find; I'll keep to the best that Nelson County has to over.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve always felt WT in all its variations are highly under appreciated. I see Russell 10yr going for like $35. WT 101 for $20.

Are they better than Dickel? I don’t think so…

Are they both great quality to cost ratio whiskey?

Absolutely. I favor Dickel and WT both for that reason. IMO however, Dickel edges out WT albeit slightly.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poured a bookers OF a couple nights ago.

No idea why i bothered with the sugar or bitters since the chinaflu took my sense of taste.

Ah well.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Nah, I’ll keep enjoying plenty of both my Rare Breed and 101… along with plenty of Dickel to boot.

Last edited:

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5FDCC1C6-DE56-470E-B0C4-9E2E14AFF106.jpeg

Batch # C922

A superb spirit…

Happy Friday!

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, this dram can take a lot of water and opens up into some serious blackberry jam and black tea. Blackcurrants.

When I lived in Dublin, a common late morning/afternoon snack was scones with fresh homemade cream, Irish tea sweetened with loads of whole milk and jam…this reminds me of those great times.

Cheers!

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting, this dram can take a lot of water and opens up into some serious blackberry jam and black tea. Blackcurrants.

When I lived in Dublin, a common late morning/afternoon snack was scones with fresh homemade cream, Irish tea sweetened with loads of whole milk and jam…this reminds me of those great times.

Cheers!
How does it compare to the ECBP?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads