• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bought tuxedo, having second thoughts about price+quality

Did I overpay?

• Yes

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too little info to decide

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
I bought a tuxedo today in the SF bay area after going in with an intention of renting or buying one.
  • Black
  • Super 150s (Wool + Cashmere)
  • Partially fused in front
  • Shawl with side vents
  • $800 + tax
Jacket size was one size smaller than I normally wear which concerns me, but the jacket appeared to fit, and there will obviously be some tailoring happening before I walk out of the door with it.

A few questions for you with the limited info I gave:
  1. Based on purely that info, did I overpay? I have an event in a few weeks so I don't think I can get a made to measure in that time period, if it's even possible to get a good made to measure tux for that price. So alternative would be to rent for ~$150 and then have one made later.
  2. It concerns me that the jacket size is smaller than my normal size. Especially if I grow outward a bit in the next 10 years (I'm late twenties now). Should I request a one-size larger jacket and then just have them do more tailoring work to make it fit? Similar question in the pants I guess. Does it make sense to get a one-inch larger diameter to have them take it in so I can grow if I happen to do so. I really hope I don't though.
I'm always skeptical of brick and mortar stores, even the non-chain ones, as they do have a store front and so I would think must mark up the prices pretty high. The person helping me did seem knowledgeable and showed me some non-fused canvassed suits that retailed for $2500. I'm thinking branding more than quality because I'm pretty sure it's possible to get less expensive canvassed suits elsewhere, which is somewhat concerning regarding the tuxedo.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because you bought it from a brick & mortar shop doesn't mean it isn't a good deal. However, without pics or an idea as to who made it, it's rather hard to judge.

As for buying one size larger, I wouldn't advise that at all. If it fits you now then it's right. Either way it seems that you'd be wearing a suit that you believed was one size too big causing you concern, or one that fits you now which hopefully wouldn't cause concern about the long long distant future. I still have suits which I bought when I was eighteen that fit and I'm into my thirties.

Clothes at the end of the day are disposable and despite a lot of people saying that you ought to spend a fortune because you're buying them for life; all it takes is a little accident or mistake and that very expensive item is ruined beyond repair or cleaning. I find with evening wear that you, and whoever you're surrounded by, are usually drinking alcohol and dining and as such those accidents can occur a lot more frequently...

The mantra, is effectively, always spend a little bit more than you can afford but don't go crazy. If that $800 was affordable then you've paid for the assistance in the shop and whatever tailoring comes with it.

A MTM tuxedo seems overkill unless you're attending galas and balls practically every couple of weeks (and even if you are, how many are truly formal dress these days anyway). Don't get caught up with your inner iGent.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you overpaid. But an $800 tuxedo isn't going to be a particularly high quality garment. But you won't wear it frequently, so it ought to be serviceable enough. Only you know whether it fits you or not. I assume you know how to buy clothes for yourself and whether things fit or not.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics are definitely needed to really say anything at all about fit, but I am going to disagree slightly (emphasis on "slightly") with @Ich_Dien . First, a bit of an aside. Frugality does not mean buying the cheapest thing you can find. It means saving up enough money to buy something of high quality and then using it for a long time. Now, to the point. little accidents do happen to clothes, but a world lass cleaner (like the rare ones that exist mostly in New York, Chicago, London, etc.) can take out quite a lot. Also, little snags or tears can be patched or, if you're really concerned, re-woven for a modest price. Scars, faded bits, and snags in clothing are roadmaps to your life. As long as the garment isn't disheveled wear it and be happy. The most stylish men that I know of are the ones who can wear clothes that are threadbare with such aplomb that few notice the state of their clothes, and the ones that do hardly care.

bamboo

Reaction score
I am surprised that people are afraid of being ripped off because the retailer has a real shop front. Anyway, back to the point, buying one size bigger is not a good idea. You most likely become big around belly but your shoulder size won't change.

J o s h

Reaction score
I'm always skeptical of brick and mortar stores, even the non-chain ones, as they do have a store front and so I would think must mark up the prices pretty high..

The world is truly going crazy when you would prefer to buy something you've never tried on from a web site (and which may or may not have a different cost), than something that you know fits you well because you did try it on.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The world is truly going crazy when you would prefer to buy something you've never tried on from a web site (and which may or may not have a different cost), than something that you know fits you well because you did try it on.

+1

IChen

Reaction score
And people now care so much about getting the best possible quality item for the price they're going to pay.

Like which brands will give me the best possible quality and handwork for this at $500?????

Reaction score
And people now care so much about getting the best possible quality item for the price they're going to pay.

Like which brands will give me the best possible quality and handwork for this at $500?????

Yes, this is indeed my mentality as I have finite funds and I like to ensure I don't get screwed. There is a fallacy somewhere here where you go buy a car for price X and are fine with it, and then only become upset when a friend buys the same car for price Y < X. I don't take it that far.

I get everything tailored anyway so if an online retailer is honest about what they are selling, I do trust this sometimes more than a brick and mortar shop as it costs less to host a website than to have a jacket take up space in a physical store. I admit there is inconsistency here in my logic as the brick and mortar store probably has more incentive for repeat business seeing as they can only cater to those locally, compared to the website which is presumably country wide.

I am surprised that people are afraid of being ripped off because the retailer has a real shop front. Anyway, back to the point, buying one size bigger is not a good idea. You most likely become big around belly but your shoulder size won't change.

I went with the smaller size as there appeared to be more fabric available if I needed to get it taken out. Unfortunately, the Long size I got still had too short of arms for me so they had to add fabric on the inside so one doesn't see the lining. This exposed some of the button hole threads and if one looks really close it looks sloppy. But the only person getting that close is me so I think it's just me being annoyed.

Just because you bought it from a brick & mortar shop doesn't mean it isn't a good deal. However, without pics or an idea as to who made it, it's rather hard to judge.

It's made by MaxDavoli Baroni.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads