• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots made by Russell Moccasin Company -- experiences

Splash Pitman

Reaction score
First of all I'd like to thank all the people that have contributed to this thread , it's been a wealth of knowledge .
Iv always been a boot guy and never really had a brand loyalty so unlike others that will only buy one brand boot and pretty much **** can anyone else's opinion l can find beauty in all the right and wrong places , having said that I have the classic 7" leather boots in black and brown that I mostly use when rideing my motorbike but as I have a pre existing foot injury that makes it hard to get anything higher than 5" onto my foot " my right foot has more pins in it than that guy's head in hell raiser " so some chukkas are in my sights ATM and Iv always been curious and never owned the moccasin style of boot .
I'd like to order the off the shelf chukkas to see if I like the style and if they are up to the challenge and later on upgrade to those lovely allocator maroon numbers .
My understanding is to size down that part I get but what do the letters represent and how do I know haw that relates to my foot ?
Cheers .

Crotchtoodropped

Reaction score
Could anyone provide info regarding Russell's customization option with changes not offered? I saw a couple of Russell moccasins from a Japanese blog (http://hukurokuju.com/blog/) and wanted a "PH" model with aspen gumlite sole and exaggerated stitching similar to this "arrow" moccasin:

arrow.PNG

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could anyone provide info regarding Russell's customization option with changes not offered? I saw a couple of Russell moccasins from a Japanese blog (http://hukurokuju.com/blog/) and wanted a "PH" model with aspen gumlite sole and exaggerated stitching similar to this "arrow" moccasin:

View attachment 1110719

I dont know if there's a list of all the back catalog models. Japanese sites, like the one you found, is about the best I've seen for the different makes. For some reason, the brand is more popular in Japan's fashion scene than it is here.

Here's another Japanese site that I've found useful. If you search around, you can find more.

http://www.cosmicjumper.com/russell_pastorders.html

Once you find a model that you like, I've found the company is happy to make the model again through their MTO program. But you have to find photos to track down what you like.

I have some really old Russ Moc catalogs from like the '80s. I haven't looked too carefully, but believe 90% of those catalogs are in the current stock. The Japanese are just better at getting exclusives. Ralph Lauren also had some boots modified for their label back in the 90s.

FWIW, I had a pair of shoes like the ones you posted years and years ago from Quoddy. Never really wore them.

Crotchtoodropped

Reaction score
I dont know if there's a list of all the back catalog models. Japanese sites, like the one you found, is about the best I've seen for the different makes. For some reason, the brand is more popular in Japan's fashion scene than it is here.

Here's another Japanese site that I've found useful. If you search around, you can find more.

http://www.cosmicjumper.com/russell_pastorders.html

Once you find a model that you like, I've found the company is happy to make the model again through their MTO program. But you have to find photos to track down what you like.

I have some really old Russ Moc catalogs from like the '80s. I haven't looked too carefully, but believe 90% of those catalogs are in the current stock. The Japanese are just better at getting exclusives. Ralph Lauren also had some boots modified for their label back in the 90s.

FWIW, I had a pair of shoes like the ones you posted years and years ago from Quoddy. Never really wore them.

thanks alot for the information and the new resource I'll put it to good use. In regards to the model I've posted, I was merely using it as reference for the vamp stitching hoping it could be done on a safari PH or bird model

Bingham

Reaction score
Man, not a lot of action on this thread for a good while! Looking to order a new pair of Sporting Clay Chukkas soon and am unloading a pair of Fishing Oxfords if anyone is interested. They are hardly worn as they are just a tad too big for me, sadly.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
i remember i wanted some lavender suede ones around 10 years ago, was constantly browsing japanese sites then

funny how the more things change they still stay the same

whirlwynds

Reaction score
Saw this thread bumped and thought I would weigh in. Ordered a pair of penny loafers and walking mocs in CxL in September 2018. Shoes arrived sometime in March 2019. The company was not responsive at all via email but would always answer the phone. For a little while I had no acknowledgement whatsoever that they had even received my order, it took a few weeks for them to process the payment. I was a little apprehensive about the wait and the lack of communication.

Shoes came out beautifully. The loafers ever slightly tight on the sides, but broke in beautifully. Going to order a pair of boots next fall... Long story short, worth it, but they are an old-fashioned company so better to call and speak with someone!

Michael Hoskins

Reaction score
Have a pair of custom suede Russell Minimalist Hurons from early 2017,which are in need of a 2nd resole.

Still comfortable,though.

Just ordered a custom pair of Huron Thula Thula moccasins:
Huron Thula Thula - Russell Moccasin Co.
with the Newporter sole,no wedge.

Thankfully.my upcoming Hurons are a dark red-brown,vs the tan of my current pair.

Hopefully,they won't get dirty as fast.

Scheduled ship date is Sept.13,2021.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Russell updated their online offerings recently. Lots of great stuff - a real improvement IMO.

Michael Hoskins

Reaction score
What's the best waterproofing treatment for suede shoes or boots?

Also,how would I clean my tan suede Hurons,without damaging them?

(They're pretty dirty by now..looks kinda gross)

StrangeJeremy

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What's the best waterproofing treatment for suede shoes or boots?

Also,how would I clean my tan suede Hurons,without damaging them?

(They're pretty dirty by now..looks kinda gross)

Saphir Super Invulner Spray for waterproofing suede.

And here's a good guide for cleaning suede.

I don't really do much to my Russells tho, just wipe them down a bit. They're boots, and I mostly just use them for hiking so I never get that fussed about making them look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads