• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots made by Russell Moccasin Company -- experiences

popman1967

Reaction score
The UK pound is actually pretty strong in comparison to the US dollar....The Canadian dollar on the other hand...sheesh!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You can always email them to ask. I find they're really responsive and helpful.

FWIW, I assume they're different boots. I ordered a shorter version of the Birdshooters, which I was told is an archival model (style #S8030-27). And no longer available in the catalog, but can be done via special order.

tumblr_inline_ohfwtu0f7i1qfex1b_500.jpg

Inspired by a pair of old Russell boots I saw in Free & Easy, which were made private label for Ralph Lauren.

tumblr_inline_ohfwupnmgE1qfex1b_500.jpg

popman1967

Reaction score
You can always email them to ask. I find they're really responsive and helpful.

FWIW, I assume they're different boots. I ordered a shorter version of the Birdshooters, which I was told is an archival model (style #S8030-27). And no longer available in the catalog, but can be done via special order.

View attachment 834014

Inspired by a pair of old Russell boots I saw in Free & Easy, which were made private label for Ralph Lauren.

View attachment 834015
Those are very nice....I got them to send me their catalog and it's great to browse through. My understanding is they will do any of their styles in any type of leather you desire. Maybe the hiker in Black French veal or something with a Gumlite sole.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those are very nice....I got them to send me their catalog and it's great to browse through. My understanding is they will do any of their styles in any type of leather you desire. Maybe the hiker in Black French veal or something with a Gumlite sole.

Pretty much. Although I kind of hate their custom sizing system, where you trace your foot and take some basic measurements, then they figure out your size. It would be so much easier, I think, if they just used standard sizes and let people figure out what's best for them. There's so much variation that can happen depending on how you trace, the system seems mostly pointless. Esp since their shoes are intended to fit like huge boxes.

Anyway, they do free remakes, so it's not that big of an issue. Even when they fit right, however, I find I have to use insoles.

vcrash

Reaction score
On that note, what sort of insoles are you using? I've got pretty much the same problem, and I'm looking for an insole that'll take up a lot of volume.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On that note, what sort of insoles are you using? I've got pretty much the same problem, and I'm looking for an insole that'll take up a lot of volume.

Just some old pair I had laying around. Don't remember where I got them, but I think it was a local cobbler.

popman1967

Reaction score
Just some old pair I had laying around. Don't remember where I got them, but I think it was a local cobbler.
You know I was thinking next time I need some insoles I'll go to Value Village or Salvation Army and find a beat up old thick leather bag and cut 2 insoles out of it...leather really takes the shape of your foot.

Bigg T

Reaction score
I am looking to get a pair of custom pull-on birding boots.
How would our contributors compare Orvis' Gokey Sandanona with Russell Moccasin's offerings such as the Zephyr or Cavalier Crossover?

johnnymiz

Reaction score
I have a pair of cavalier crossovers. I don't like zippers on men's boots. I was very very careful measuring. I have wide feet. They fit amazing out of the box. very comfortable. the ankle strap does a great job stopping heel slip. very thick leather.
I know nothing of gokeys

Bigg T

Reaction score
I have a pair of cavalier crossovers. I don't like zippers on men's boots. I was very very careful measuring. I have wide feet. They fit amazing out of the box. very comfortable. the ankle strap does a great job stopping heel slip. very thick leather.
I know nothing of gokeys
Thank you for the quality insight.
I am looking for my lifetime hunting boot.

Last edited:

oldfrump

Reaction score
Just got these - a mere four months and 13 days from the date of order. I wanted a black pair to go with my brown Art Carters for everyday wear with khaki's and jeans. However, these are made on their boot last. The more rounded toe fits me better than the narrower toe of their oxfords and chukkas.

They are a 5.5 inch version of the South 40 P.H. over the Vibram Newporter 1/4 wedge sole on a natural oak leather midsole. The leather is black German Elk (just a name - it is cowhide), leather lined in the foot. The eyelet pattern is made to my preference.

The leather is everything I hoped it would be. It has a very deep sheen that does not really show in the photos, but is supple right out of the box.

DSCN4280.JPG

DSCN4282.JPG

popman1967

Reaction score
Just got these - a mere four months and 13 days from the date of order. I wanted a black pair to go with my brown Art Carters for everyday wear with khaki's and jeans. However, these are made on their boot last. The more rounded toe fits me better than the narrower toe of their oxfords and chukkas.

They are a 5.5 inch version of the South 40 P.H. over the Vibram Newporter 1/4 wedge sole on a natural oak leather midsole. The leather is black German Elk (just a name - it is cowhide), leather lined in the foot. The eyelet pattern is made to my preference.

The leather is everything I hoped it would be. It has a very deep sheen that does not really show in the photos, but is supple right out of the box.

View attachment 946868

View attachment 946869
Those look very nice....many years of comfortable walking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads