Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Boots made by Russell Moccasin Company -- experiences

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by auto90403, Jun 6, 2007.

1. popman1967

popman1967 Well-Known Member

The UK pound is actually pretty strong in comparison to the US dollar....The Canadian dollar on the other hand...sheesh!

2. popman1967

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

You can always email them to ask. I find they're really responsive and helpful.

FWIW, I assume they're different boots. I ordered a shorter version of the Birdshooters, which I was told is an archival model (style #S8030-27). And no longer available in the catalog, but can be done via special order.

tumblr_inline_ohfwtu0f7i1qfex1b_500.jpg

Inspired by a pair of old Russell boots I saw in Free & Easy, which were made private label for Ralph Lauren.

tumblr_inline_ohfwupnmgE1qfex1b_500.jpg

4. popman1967

Those are very nice....I got them to send me their catalog and it's great to browse through. My understanding is they will do any of their styles in any type of leather you desire. Maybe the hiker in Black French veal or something with a Gumlite sole.

5. dieworkwear

Pretty much. Although I kind of hate their custom sizing system, where you trace your foot and take some basic measurements, then they figure out your size. It would be so much easier, I think, if they just used standard sizes and let people figure out what's best for them. There's so much variation that can happen depending on how you trace, the system seems mostly pointless. Esp since their shoes are intended to fit like huge boxes.

Anyway, they do free remakes, so it's not that big of an issue. Even when they fit right, however, I find I have to use insoles.

6. vcrash

vcrash Well-Known Member

On that note, what sort of insoles are you using? I've got pretty much the same problem, and I'm looking for an insole that'll take up a lot of volume.

7. dieworkwear

Just some old pair I had laying around. Don't remember where I got them, but I think it was a local cobbler.

8. popman1967

You know I was thinking next time I need some insoles I'll go to Value Village or Salvation Army and find a beat up old thick leather bag and cut 2 insoles out of it...leather really takes the shape of your foot.

9. Bigg T

Bigg T Well-Known Member

I am looking to get a pair of custom pull-on birding boots.
    How would our contributors compare Orvis' Gokey Sandanona with Russell Moccasin's offerings such as the Zephyr or Cavalier Crossover?