• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wear for the new Grant Stone Ottawas
u6qbpWj.jpg

lACJcS9.jpg

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These look nice.

I am nearing the end of my own Thursday experiment. Really liked the dark olive weatherproof suede, at about 12 wears the boots look a bit saggy and loose, maybe a predictable result of thinner leather than I am used to. But they did not break in as I hoped, kind of tolerable more than great fit.

Really wanted to love these, and even bought a pair of their shoes during the super sale. Both will end up in a dumpster sooner than their time. I should have listened to @M635Guy but wanted first hand experience. Nothing bad here, just spoiled by AE/Alden/Rancourt.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look nice.

I am nearing the end of my own Thursday experiment. Really liked the dark olive weatherproof suede, at about 12 wears the boots look a bit saggy and loose, maybe a predictable result of thinner leather than I am used to. But they did not break in as I hoped, kind of tolerable more than great fit.

Really wanted to love these, and even bought a pair of their shoes during the super sale. Both will end up in a dumpster sooner than their time. I should have listened to @M635Guy but wanted first hand experience. Nothing bad here, just spoiled by AE/Alden/Rancourt.

I'm kind of surprised with the number of your posts that you went there. Frankly if you just stick with the quality shoemakers your results will tend to be much better. In my opinion even if the item is on sale if it's not something of quality it's like throwing money down the drain.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look nice.

Kinda how I felt with Meermin.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ddQUOTE="Thrift Couture, post: 9406391, member: 267997"]Kinda how I felt with Meermin.[/QUOTE]

Been awhile since I've been here but there was plenty at the time that would tell me never to even try or even recommend Meeriman. At the time quality was incredibly uneven. At least with AE in the states and their customer service you can return them until the cows come home or you get one that is good.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised with the number of your posts that you went there. Frankly if you just stick with the quality shoemakers your results will tend to be much better. In my opinion even if the item is on sale if it's not something of quality it's like throwing money down the drain.

I am incredibly stubborn and olive was missing from my closet. Size 15d is not an easy size to source, so I wanted to be personally sure that these handmade boots with ethical sourcing were (or were not) worth giving a shot. M635Guy gave me the exact correct review before I spent a penny there and now, Rancourt has fixed any olive gap I may have had.

BTW @IEG Yours look better than mine and maybe that leather is a particularly good choice from Thursday.

Kinda how I felt with Meermin.

Yea, growing smarter maybe, because your warning kept me from trying them.

Really happy with Rancourt, but wish the makers of mean green would expand size options.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am incredibly stubborn and olive was missing from my closet. Size 15d is not an easy size to source, so I wanted to be personally sure that these handmade boots with ethical sourcing were (or were not) worth giving a shot. M635Guy gave me the exact correct review before I spent a penny there and now, Rancourt has fixed any olive I may have had.

BTW @IEG Yours look better than mine and maybe that leather is a particularly good choice from Thursday.

Really happy with Rancourt, but wish the makers of mean green would expand size options.

I can only imagine given your size how much a challenge that would be. Glad to hear you were able to get something from Rancourt. I have a number of their shoes and I always highly recommend them.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Freakin' beautiful!

Aren’t they? I really enjoy wearing my brown shell. A problem I have that is particular to me is, when I wear my lighter shell I’m always terrified while they are on my feet of something happening to damage their color. With brown I just get to wear them without worry, and experience that special joy I get from wearing shell. I’ve gotta get more shoes in brown shell.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was fortunate. Wearing a 10D can be a gift and a curse, though. From what I've seen of your collection, you're not doing too bad up there. Lol!
:fistbump:

IEG

Reaction score
I am incredibly stubborn and olive was missing from my closet. Size 15d is not an easy size to source, so I wanted to be personally sure that these handmade boots with ethical sourcing were (or were not) worth giving a shot. M635Guy gave me the exact correct review before I spent a penny there and now, Rancourt has fixed any olive gap I may have had.

Of course I’ve never owned a pair of AE boots, owned Alden and Alfred Sargent shoes so I’ve worn some better footwear but I have to say, I am not disappointed with any of the Thursday Boots I have purchased and these Brandy Wingtips are no exception, by far my favorite pair and I have 7 at this point. So far I really like the color and quality of the leather on this newest pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads