• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blue shoes, Navy suit

GeneGenie

Reaction score
Stylish men, I need your advice:

I am getting married in 1 week ('yay' and 'sh**!' at the same time!) in this Ted Baker Elrand suit with a white shirt:

http://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens/Clothing/Blazers/ELRAND-Textured-wool-blazer-Navy/p/108949-10-NAVY

I was going to wear a dark brown shoe with it, but instead I left the shop with these blue brogues with brown wooden heal:

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Bertie+Braxton+Storm+2+formal+shoes/D352999,default,pd.html

I am planning on wearing a brown belt that matches the colour of the heal.

Am I making a fashion faux pax or is this acceptable? My doubt crept in when the lady altering my trouser length commented that the shoe looked too heavy for the trouser. (seriously, why do people volunteer their opinion when it is not asked for?).

You opinions are being asked for, so please let me have them!

Cheers

MisterFu

Reaction score
Stylish men, I need your advice:

I am getting married in 1 week ('yay' and 'sh**!' at the same time!) in this Ted Baker Elrand suit with a white shirt:

http://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Mens/Clothing/Blazers/ELRAND-Textured-wool-blazer-Navy/p/108949-10-NAVY

I was going to wear a dark brown shoe with it, but instead I left the shop with these blue brogues with brown wooden heal:

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Bertie+Braxton+Storm+2+formal+shoes/D352999,default,pd.html

I am planning on wearing a brown belt that matches the colour of the heal.

Am I making a fashion faux pax or is this acceptable? My doubt crept in when the lady altering my trouser length commented that the shoe looked too heavy for the trouser. (seriously, why do people volunteer their opinion when it is not asked for?).

You opinions are being asked for, so please let me have them!

Cheers
No, no, no, no, no. Take those shoes back right away. I don't want to further traumatize you, but is too late to rethink that suit?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No!

Take the shoes and that 'suit' back and start again. The shoes are ugly and informal and the blazer vastly overpriced for something made from synthetics. It is also a dreadful looking thing,

Last edited:

Displacement

Reaction score
I'm going to try to say this without being too harsh because you should feel good about how you look on your wedding. You're going to have to see those photos for the rest of your life, right?

Short version: that's a lot of loud clothing. Seriously consider toning it down, and since it's too late to replace the suit that means LOCK IT DOWN on the shoes. Get brown captoes (google them) instead. You can go to your mall and find a tolerable pair of shoes that will fit your budget in the time you've given yourself to look it over.

Longer version: You've chosen a pair of shoes that are called "longwings" - they're a strong looking shoe, generally paired heavier fabrics like tweed or even denim. It's as casual as you can get on the dress shoe scale, and what I'll call "beefier" than the suit you've chosen. The suit is on the other end of the spectrum - the red stitching, pocket trim, pink details, etc, all point towards the more "delicate" end of the clothing spectrum. If you combine "beefy" with "delicate" you don't get a lineman that can perform ballet, you just get a lineman in a tutu.

If you want a colorful shoe for that suit, try burgundy - to be honest, these shoes from Macy's are not exactly my style or great quality, but they are about as close to a match to your suit as you'll find on the beefy to delicate scale we're talking about. Ideally, you'd be wearing something more like this but I don't know if we have enough time to convince you that's the better choice.

Good luck.

Edit: Just noticed you're in the UK. I have no idea what's available to you so my recommendations are moot.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics