• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blog update: Rubinacci jacket, Anna M. shirt, Ambrosi pants, etc.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Looks great all around.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Regarding darts...I've never had a shirt with them but do have a big drop (8-9") so my tailor has done various surgery operations to get the shirts trimmer around my waist. Would darts look funny if one does not wear a jacket (which i do not)?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Don't listen to the nitpickers - you look great mafoofan

Originally Posted by nmoraitis
Yeah, I'm not sure why some feel the need to pick apart a great looking jacket.

Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Well, I happen to believe the buttoning point is too high by 1/18th of an inch - throws off the balance of the entire coat.

Originally Posted by Coho
In the final analysis, it's up to Matt's discretion to make adjustments to his liking. These are all ideas that people take the time to give so he can look good. I see no harm in them.

I think nitpicking comes with the territory--I did ask for thoughts, and I've never restrained myself from freely commenting on other's choices in the past. Moreover, this is a very expensive jacket by a very famous maker, so it's only natural to scrutinize. At the end, I am glad to get feedback of all sorts.

However, I do think some criticisms might be over-acute. Looking for errors (or, what we call 'errors') is bound to turn something up--things that might otherwise be unnoticed or non-existent if one were noticing someone's outfit over the normal course-of-the-day. Not to toot my own horn, but I think it looks pretty good. I like to closely analyze things, too, and I find that nothing can be adjusted much without messing up other things. Plus, when I look at the whole, without honing in on a particular square inch, everything seems to work well and I notice nothing bad. To me, that's a very good sign and enough to satisfy my expectations.

Still, the nitpicking is welcome along with more holistic assessments. I benefit regardless whether or not I agree. Any more thoughts on the outfit as a matter of style rather than tailoring?

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Makes me laugh.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mmkn
The woman says, "Look at that poor cripple!", and the man replies, "Yes, but he must have an amazing tailor!"

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure why some feel the need to pick apart a great looking jacket.

Intent of Styleforum is to foster a healthy discussion, i.e., nitpick. This is not the Mafoofan Adulation Site.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When you get a chance, can you please post pics of the bespoke Marinella ties you purchased.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't equate 'healthy discussion' with 'nitpick'

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know that.

Originally Posted by iammatt

The jacket, shirt and pants look great. Re the bunching in back, the way I was taught was that the extra fabric that forms between the collar and top of the shoulder blades in a horizontal line was bunching and needed to be taken care of, while fabric between the blades that forms a triangle type shape was just extra fullness. I have no idea if that is right, but that is what my Father taught me.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or the Sartorialist.
rimshot.gif

Originally Posted by lee_44106
Intent of Styleforum is to foster a healthy discussion, i.e., nitpick. This is not the Mafoofan Adulation Site.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think nitpicking comes with the territory--I did ask for thoughts, and I've never restrained myself from freely commenting on other's choices in the past. Moreover, this is a very expensive jacket by a very famous maker, so it's only natural to scrutinize. At the end, I am glad to get feedback of all sorts.

However, I do think some criticisms might be over-acute. Looking for errors (or, what we call 'errors') is bound to turn something up--things that might otherwise be unnoticed or non-existent if one were noticing someone's outfit over the normal course-of-the-day.

Still, the nitpicking is welcome along with more holistic assessments. I benefit regardless whether or not I agree.

Yes, but in order to nitpick, you need to know what you are talking about and some of the comments posted here, it is apparent that many do not.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I agree with this, although I think that there is often a misunderstanding of what should be on this site.
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't equate 'healthy discussion' with 'nitpick'
I agree with this too, but see above. The thing I would be most concerned about, although not hugely concerned is that the left side of the collar could be a bit tighter. This is very fixable, and they have fixed it on a jacket of mine before. It will take them half an hour when you are in Naples.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree with this, although I think that there is often a misunderstanding of what should be on this site.

I agree with this too, but see above.

The thing I would be most concerned about, although not hugely concerned is that the left side of the collar could be a bit tighter. This is very fixable, and they have fixed it on a jacket of mine before. It will take them half an hour when you are in Naples.

Noted; it appears an issue moreso in some photos than others. Anything else? On style? Screw adulation. Let's have at it!

nmoraitis

Reaction score

My problem with some posters is that they nitpick but never seem to post pictures of themselves, so how can you put trust in what they say?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Noted; it appears an issue moreso in some photos than others. Anything else? On style? Screw adulation. Let's have at it!
That is really the only thing I would bother with. If you show them that, they will push and prod at other things and decide what needs to be done. That is my experience, at least. Let the jacket settle, wear it, and when you are in Naples, take it in. I generally arrive there with four or five things that need tweeks, or just a button resewn or a stitch onder the collar that came loose. As said on FNB, they expect that you will take it in for a look. Most importantly, it is a great looking jacket. Wear it. On the shirts, I am interested that the fit looks so different than mine, but not in a negative or positive way. Mine are a bit snugger. Just goes to show that she treats every body differently. I would hardly worry about the number of buttons, but that is me.
Originally Posted by nmoratis
My problem with some posters is that they nitpick but never seem to post pictures of themselves, so how can you put trust in what they say?
There are posters who never post pictures that I think have a very good eye. Some post pictures and have no idea what something should look like. I would rather take the opinion of the former than the latter, though a non-posting, non-knowing poster is the worst of breed as far as whom to look to for advice.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like I said, anyone with an ounce of intelligence will filter these "nitpicks" and rationalize whether one is valid over the other. YOU seem like a big fan of the OP, which is understandable, but annoying as hell to read.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's scary stuff posting photos. The worst comments are not here--these are all civil and polite. On my blog, I sometimes get comments attacking my race, physical appearance, height, etc. There are only so many times one can take their face being called "tw*t"-like.

I probably should cut out my face or blur it. But you all know what I look like already and I'm no famous or important person to begin with. At the end, I think it makes the photos more 'real'.

That is really the only thing I would bother with. If you show them that, they will push and prod at other things and decide what needs to be done. That is my experience, at least. Let the jacket settle, wear it, and when you are in Naples, take it in. I generally arrive there with four or five things that need tweeks, or just a button resewn or a stitch onder the collar that came loose. As said on FNB, they expect that you will take it in for a look.

Most importantly, it is a great looking jacket. Wear it.

On the shirts, I am interested that the fit looks so different than mine, but not in a negative or positive way. Mine are a bit snugger. Just goes to show that she treats every body differently. I would hardly worry about the number of buttons, but that is me.

There are posters who never post pictures that I think have a very good eye. Some post pictures and have no idea what something should look like. I would rather take the opinion of the former than the latter, though a non-posting, non-knowing poster is the worst of breed as far as whom to look to for advice.

Thanks for the advice. I did notice Anna cut my shirts differently from yours. Did you instruct her at all? I pretty much let them do whatever they thought best.

With regard to posters that comment without having personally posted pictures themselves, I must admit I am one of them. Until now, no one has seen me in a complete outfit worth critique in the first place. Yet, I think you are right: all one can do is say what he thinks and be prepared to learn as he goes. Better to be wrong a thousand times than to never have hazarded a guess.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I did notice Anna cut my shirts differently from yours. Did you instruct her at all? I pretty much let them do whatever they thought best.

I said nothing. Part of me likes mine more, and part of me likes yours more. Our bodies are not exactly shaped similarly, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads