• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Blazer Too Small. Alterations Alternatives?

Pastafarian

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a Prada(Belvest) blazer recently online. It was a tweed blazer with the perfect blend subtle pink stripes. Just a beautiful piece.

Love the jacket and the material but it is a size too small. I'm regularly a 42 in RLBL and Zegna OTR cuts but this one was 52 euro and fit like a size 40.

Is there any way I can alter this jacket to fit me? Like taking out the lining completely ... Has anyone done this? How much size difference could that make?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post pictures. Don't get your hopes up.

Pastafarian

Reaction score
i can't take pics right now. On the road. Jacket is at home.

the jacket is literally 1 size too small. the sleeve length is perfect and the length is perfect. no alterations needed there. just too tight around the back and chest.

has anyone done this? I know tailors can naturally increase the size of the jacket with the little extra fabric at the seams but I don't know if that will be enough. I'm talking a full size expansion.

the cost of alteration doesn't even matter because i love the jacket so much.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tough for any of us to say. Just take it to your tailor and see what he thinks. He can feel around and see if there's enough fabric to let out.

Good luck!

Sharris

Reaction score
If the shoulders fit there's a possibility you can gain enough across the back and sides. A very slight possibility... but a possibility nonetheless.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
diet??

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pastafarian

I know tailors can naturally increase the size of the jacket with the little extra fabric at the seams but I don't know if that will be enough. I'm talking a full size expansion.

Only way to find out is to take it to the tailor and have them undo the lining from the bottom to see if there are extra fabric at the seams.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek14
And throw off the fit in all his other clothes?

joke   /dʒoʊk/ Show Spelled
[johk] Show IPA
noun, verb, joked, jok·ing.
-noun
1. something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him.
2. something that is amusing or ridiculous, especially because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke.
3. a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: The loss was no joke.
4. something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy: The test was a joke for the whole class.
5. practical joke.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exchange for a larger size? There could be enough fabric in the jacket to make for a very slim 42

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads