• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Shirt with Black Suit. I have to get this off my chest.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke.

The answer is always already bespoke.

martinezj2567

Reaction score
How much do you want to spend on a shirt?

For a white shirt? Ideally $50 down, but if it's amazing for under $100, I'll consider it.
Were the fit pics still coming?
confused.gif

My family is coming by this weekend with all my clothes for my birthday! Monday at latest. Sorry for the wait.
Bespoke.
The answer is always already bespoke.

Bespoke?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^Nice video!

Bespoke refers to clothing made to your specifications. You pick the fabric, color, pattern, collar, cuffs, buttons, etc. I just received a few bespoke shirts. The quality is good, but the fit is about the same as my Charles Tyrwhitt off the rack shirts. As I mentioned before, I've had great luck with their non-iron shirts. CT shirts can be had from anywhere between $40-$75 plus shipping. They also have a generous return policy. TM Lewin also makes a nice ready to wear shirt in roughly the same price range. Both companies are English. Start with your neck, chest, sleeve, and waist measurements. Compare that with the fit charts and see what cut of shirt will fit (classic, slim, or tailored). Make sure the shirt isn't skin tight.

martinezj2567

Reaction score
Alright guys, it's been finals week and the date is fast approaching, this Friday. I'm sorry I never got the pics up but I've already sent them to the tailor for the last fitting and I think it all came out great. What I have right now is...

Calvin Klein suit from Lord and Taylor, Black with very light grey pinstripes that are not very distinct
Alfani shoes
(Getting from Kohl's...last minute since I decided against all my previous choices) White French Cuff shirt. The problem I've run into is, should I just get an inch longer to my arm length (currently 36) to a 37 so my cuff will show with my suit?
Gold colored cuff links and tie bar
Blue tie with white and gray on a diagonal design

Now I've already decided on a white pocket square, but would a gray/silver be better?

And since my tie is predominantly blue (to match the dress of my date) what would be a good color flower for the boutonniere since i want to accent the blue?

I'll be sure to put up pictures of the final result the day of the formal! Thanks again guys for all your help and advice, it's something I've taken with me to really help stand out with my clothes! =D

martinezj2567

Reaction score
Really? You think no flower is the way to go?

What would you suggest then? Would rather than matching her dress, would complementing with a different color be better? Seems tough to not do so given the setting. Then again, I don't have nearly as much experience in this, so that's why I'm asking.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Typically women think it looks cute to match their dress to your tie, unaware of the fact that they have zero taste in these matters. I blame them for the matching bridesmaids/groomsmen tableaus that currently afflict our society. If she insists, then wear the blue tie. It's not worth arguing over. But really you shouldn't particularly be thinking of her dress when choosing your tie. Choose a properly understated and elegant tie, it will have no problems cohabiting with her dress.

Likewise with the flower, unless your jacket lapel has a working buttonhole and a silk string on the back to hold the flower, you will be forced to pin said flower to your jacket lapel, which to me looks silly and tacky. However, again if your date insists, choose something that isn't too obnoxiously large. Your principal options are red and white. I advise white again.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I think a light blue flower to match her dress would be fine with what you described and she will appreciate it.

If you have a good florist, they could probably do a white boutonniere with some sort of blue accent.

Pinning a flower to your lapel is fine.

Last edited:

martinezj2567

Reaction score
I do have a boutonniere hole in the jacket label, so it would be well fitted. My concern then is the PS. I like the idea of a white flower with a light blue accent, but then shouldn't I have a PS to offset that as well rather than making it lopsided? I would figure the gray/silver PS at this point, red doesn't sit well with me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads