1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Black Shirt with Black Suit. I have to get this off my chest.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by martinezj2567, Apr 8, 2012.

1. martinezj2567

martinezj2567 Well-Known Member

I figured as much. The less the better.

Hahaa, should I ask what Mt. Spiffy is?

Don't worry, it was just a question as to when/if these accessories are ever applicable in situations in general. A wristwatch isn't that bad though.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is nitpicky, but traditionally a wristwatch should not be worn with evening wear. At one time I think it was even considered bad manners, as in why do you need to keep checking the time when you're partying and having fun.

e.g.:

http://ivorytowerstyle.tumblr.com/post/18516823581/to-me-the-watch-almost-ruins-this-the-most

3. wintourh007

wintourh007 Active Member

I used to wear a wristwatch with my suit but a friend of mine did inform me it doesn't look good with it.

4. unbelragazzo

There are plenty of wristwatches that are appropriate to wear with a business suit during the day. There are some others that are not very offensive with evening wear. There are also plenty that are not appropriate with either.

5. martinezj2567

Then I'm inclined to ask another question. Since I've narrowed it down to a white shirt, where/what type would be best? I'm sure a white shirt is simple and just that and I know not to get one with stripes since my suit has pinstripes, but where should I start?

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

How much do you want to spend on a shirt?

7. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Were the fit pics still coming? :confused:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  8. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Bespoke.

The answer is always already bespoke.

9. martinezj2567

For a white shirt? Ideally $50 down, but if it's amazing for under $100, I'll consider it.

My family is coming by this weekend with all my clothes for my birthday! Monday at latest. Sorry for the wait.
    Bespoke?

10. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

^^^^Nice video!

Bespoke refers to clothing made to your specifications. You pick the fabric, color, pattern, collar, cuffs, buttons, etc. I just received a few bespoke shirts. The quality is good, but the fit is about the same as my Charles Tyrwhitt off the rack shirts. As I mentioned before, I've had great luck with their non-iron shirts. CT shirts can be had from anywhere between $40-$75 plus shipping. They also have a generous return policy. TM Lewin also makes a nice ready to wear shirt in roughly the same price range. Both companies are English. Start with your neck, chest, sleeve, and waist measurements. Compare that with the fit charts and see what cut of shirt will fit (classic, slim, or tailored). Make sure the shirt isn't skin tight.

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

That was AWESOME! I had to watch the others as well. :lol:

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Others? I'll have to look.

14. martinezj2567

Alright guys, it's been finals week and the date is fast approaching, this Friday. I'm sorry I never got the pics up but I've already sent them to the tailor for the last fitting and I think it all came out great. What I have right now is...

Calvin Klein suit from Lord and Taylor, Black with very light grey pinstripes that are not very distinct
    Alfani shoes
    (Getting from Kohl's...last minute since I decided against all my previous choices) White French Cuff shirt. The problem I've run into is, should I just get an inch longer to my arm length (currently 36) to a 37 so my cuff will show with my suit?
    Gold colored cuff links and tie bar
    Blue tie with white and gray on a diagonal design

Now I've already decided on a white pocket square, but would a gray/silver be better?

And since my tie is predominantly blue (to match the dress of my date) what would be a good color flower for the boutonniere since i want to accent the blue?

I'll be sure to put up pictures of the final result the day of the formal! Thanks again guys for all your help and advice, it's something I've taken with me to really help stand out with my clothes! =D

15. unbelragazzo

-white pocket square
    -yes, you want some cuff to show
    -can't remember if we went over this, but matching your date looks somewhat silly. given that you're already doing it with the tie, don't overdo it with a blue flower as well. no flower is an excellent option.

16. martinezj2567

Really? You think no flower is the way to go?

What would you suggest then? Would rather than matching her dress, would complementing with a different color be better? Seems tough to not do so given the setting. Then again, I don't have nearly as much experience in this, so that's why I'm asking.

17. unbelragazzo

Typically women think it looks cute to match their dress to your tie, unaware of the fact that they have zero taste in these matters. I blame them for the matching bridesmaids/groomsmen tableaus that currently afflict our society. If she insists, then wear the blue tie. It's not worth arguing over. But really you shouldn't particularly be thinking of her dress when choosing your tie. Choose a properly understated and elegant tie, it will have no problems cohabiting with her dress.

Likewise with the flower, unless your jacket lapel has a working buttonhole and a silk string on the back to hold the flower, you will be forced to pin said flower to your jacket lapel, which to me looks silly and tacky. However, again if your date insists, choose something that isn't too obnoxiously large. Your principal options are red and white. I advise white again.

18. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I think a light blue flower to match her dress would be fine with what you described and she will appreciate it.

If you have a good florist, they could probably do a white boutonniere with some sort of blue accent.

Pinning a flower to your lapel is fine.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  19. unbelragazzo

A light blue flower seems to me much better suited to daytime than evening. You've got other high contrast items there with a black suit, white shirt, white PS...the light blue doesn't fit in well to me.

20. martinezj2567

I do have a boutonniere hole in the jacket label, so it would be well fitted. My concern then is the PS. I like the idea of a white flower with a light blue accent, but then shouldn't I have a PS to offset that as well rather than making it lopsided? I would figure the gray/silver PS at this point, red doesn't sit well with me.