• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black Shirt with Black Suit. I have to get this off my chest.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

martinezj2567

Reaction score

martinezj2567

Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan given the budget. I'll keep Oxfords in mind for my next shoes. Thank you for bringing it up to me.

martinezj2567

Reaction score
Now I have another question actually. 2 actually.

So is it right to assume that in the evening, navy blue to grey suits are more acceptable? Black tending to only suit formals (wear)? I assume lighter suits are meant for daytime.

Also, what is the rule of thumb concerning accessories? (Pocket watch, sunglasses, etc)

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So is it right to assume that in the evening, navy blue to grey suits are more acceptable? Black tending to only suit formals (wear)? I assume lighter suits are meant for daytime.

Yes.

Also, what is the rule of thumb concerning accessories? (Pocket watch, sunglasses, etc)

Do not bring either of these things.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Please, where are these photos?

This thread has Mt. Spiffy-like potential.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I disagree. A good rule of thumb for accessories is: the more, the better.

martinezj2567

Reaction score
Yes.
Do not bring either of these things.

I figured as much. The less the better.

Please, where are these photos?
This thread has Mt. Spiffy-like potential.

Hahaa, should I ask what Mt. Spiffy is?

This question give me great unease. OP, forget accessories other than a wrist watch and maybe a pocket square.

Don't worry, it was just a question as to when/if these accessories are ever applicable in situations in general. A wristwatch isn't that bad though.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Don't worry, it was just a question as to when/if these accessories are ever applicable in situations in general. A wristwatch isn't that bad though.

This is nitpicky, but traditionally a wristwatch should not be worn with evening wear. At one time I think it was even considered bad manners, as in why do you need to keep checking the time when you're partying and having fun.

e.g.:

http://ivorytowerstyle.tumblr.com/post/18516823581/to-me-the-watch-almost-ruins-this-the-most

wintourh007

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I used to wear a wristwatch with my suit but a friend of mine did inform me it doesn't look good with it.

martinezj2567

Reaction score
Then I'm inclined to ask another question. Since I've narrowed it down to a white shirt, where/what type would be best? I'm sure a white shirt is simple and just that and I know not to get one with stripes since my suit has pinstripes, but where should I start?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads