• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Black denim discussion thread and indigo-free zone

fwwilkes

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts concerning any dye run onto sheets, shoes, etc... My understanding of sulphur dyed black denim is that the adhesive quality of the dye coats the yarn (as opposed to indigo which expands within the yarn as it oxidizes). On a micro level sulphur dye fades the way dry paint chips.
That's just what I understand about the nature of dyes.

Don't know anything about rrl black denim, but I've never had an issue with my sulphur dyed selvedge getting runny on bright white sheets.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also own one pair of black denim - RRL slims.

I'm also curious how they fade, although I think I've washed them too much. :(

SiegfriedFuerst

Reaction score
I tried the Samurai S5000BK when I was in Japan this spring and it's an amazingly rough, slubby denim but I ended up passing because I was looking for a black/black denim. I'd definitely still recommend them though, enough room in the thigh for someone with a larger quad and a reasonable fit through the calf, not particularly tapered though. Fabric looked like it would fade really well with how rough and stiff it was. Anyways, ended up with Left Field chelsea's since I have a pair in the ID fabric that fits pretty well. They seem to stretch a good deal and aren't quite as generous in the thigh but it's a much more tapered fit which is better for an all black jean anyways IMO. I'm excited for the fades to come in since these are pretty much exactly the fades I want from a black pair.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checking in with my Naked Famous 26oz Black, had it for 1.5 years now but I only wear it during winter, roughly about of 6 month of total wear.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far I haven't notice any rub-off at all on sheets, furniture, or even the tops of suede boots.

Bellafonte27

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Tellason's Black Ladbroke Grove jeans. I couldn't find too much information about them online, but I called Tellason and they told me that they should fade to a charcoal grey. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got pics of those N&F's?

It's just black, no fades yet. I havent washed it. Still going strong, though some stitches near the crotch area seem to be coming loose.

jbuffone

Reaction score
I'd love to see some pictures of how peoples' black denim has faded. Whenever I've owned black on black denim in the past it always looks dusty or dirty after a few months. To me the appeal of the black on black is that it's so, so, dark. I want it to stay that way.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NF Black power stretch in skinny guy are my favorite, just ordered a new pair because my old one were too faded and torn.

I love the jet black look, and the fit.

I also have APC PS in Black, it's more comfortable than the NF, but the fit is too relaxed and the taper is too narrow.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

RRL slim fit black on blacks. I scored a pair about 3 months ago, my first black pair of denim, and they're perfect. I love the fit and I like all the details - the weight, the coarse hand, black stitching, black leather patch, selvedge, etc.

I don't yet know how they'll age but I don't think they'll fade much.

Definitely want to pick up a pair of those at some point, although my size in RRLs (29 x 34) is kinda hard to find.

I just got my Big John black overdye slim tapered fits today. Really happy with the fit, and I'm looking forward to seeing the black --> indigo --> white fading evolution.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up another pair of Gustin's black/black, this time in regular (not slim) fit. Will rotate them in next week & wear them for a solid month. A year ago the batch was crazy starchy. This time not so much, and it's all the better for it. Soaked them once to get a bit of shrink, but they usually break in / form nicely.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the past few months I've been on a black denim shirt quest. They are somewhat hard to find. I started with an LVC black denim shirt but I returned it since it did not appear to be denim.

The next shirt was one by Our Legacy. And while it was denim, I did not like the weight so I eventually sold it.

I now have an APC. I give it a passing grade: it's black denim but it's a sterile Italian denim. I'm looking for something with texture.

I just ordered a Kenneth Field shirt which should be coming in this week.

No Man Walks Alone has a black denim shirt by Big John but they are out of my size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads