• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BIGLAWYERS, come here!!

Manhappenin

Reaction score
Just wondering if work is picking up? I go to NYU and my grades are not very good. I know people who got jobs at amazing firms (vault 20-30) with pretty bad grades in previous years. But I'm really concerned that I might come up empty handed this year. How deep you think vault 100 firms will go at NYU type schools this year? Thanks

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They will probably pick up the superstars, but other than that, I wouldn't expect them to go too deep. Big firms are finally starting to realize that people right out of law school aren't worth $185,000. Still, you gotta like your chances better than people at lower ranked schools.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about just NYC here?

I'm on the West Coast and will probably live out here after I graduate. I wonder if the market is the same for SF or San Diego. I'm working in DC this summer though which is where I'm from, but I think I've honestly had enough of this area.
confused.gif

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manhappenin
Just wondering if work is picking up? I go to NYU and my grades are not very good. I know people who got jobs at amazing firms (vault 20-30) with pretty bad grades in previous years. But I'm really concerned that I might come up empty handed this year. How deep you think vault 100 firms will go at NYU type schools this year? Thanks

Are you a rising 2L or 3L?
I'm interested to hear what your OCI experience is going to be like.

Both my grades and my law school are less-than-stellar. It's going to be a tough fall semester.

Manhappenin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
They will probably pick up the superstars, but other than that, I wouldn't expect them to go too deep. Big firms are finally starting to realize that people right out of law school aren't worth $185,000. Still, you gotta like your chances better than people at lower ranked schools.

Sort of what I was thinking. But career services talks like we will be okay. Maybe just have to downgrade firms. There are still nearly 500 firms, with even more offices with tons of interview slots. I'm hoping I get something. ****, I've met a guy from back in the glory days who got Skadden with sub median grades

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of what I was thinking. But career services talks like we will be okay. Maybe just have to downgrade firms. There are still nearly 500 firms, with even more offices with tons of interview slots. I'm hoping I get something. ****, I've met a guy from back in the glory days who got Skadden with sub median grades

Yeah, career services doesn't want you guys thinking that you're spending $150k for an education that isn't going to return what you were expecting. In any case, with a degree from NYU, you'll land on your feet eventually no matter what. If you don't get a firm job, I suggest a clerkship. I"m sure there's a judge somewhere willing to take an NYU grad with any grades. Other than salary, biglaw is highly overrated anyway. The whole, "you'll be doing cutting edge work" line is a bunch of bullshit.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You too man. I hate a boat load of debt. If I don't get biglaw, I will be really screwed.

Yeah, I decided to go the other way and do in-state at UGA. No matter how jobless I end up, I will have very little debt.

Manhappenin

Reaction score
Yeah, career services doesn't want you guys thinking that you're spending $150k for an education that isn't going to return what you were expecting. In any case, with a degree from NYU, you'll land on your feet eventually no matter what. If you don't get a firm job, I suggest a clerkship. I"m sure there's a judge somewhere willing to take an NYU grad with any grades. Other than salary, biglaw is highly overrated anyway. The whole, "you'll be doing cutting edge work" line is a bunch of bullshit.

But I really need a big firm gig to make my damn loan payments. If I end up with no firm, going to NYU will have essentially ruined my life.

Originally Posted by nerdykarim
Yeah, I decided to go the other way and do in-state at UGA. No matter how jobless I end up, I will have very little debt.

To think I gave up a full ride at a top 20-25 school. Kick myself everyday

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's bad out there. That being said, I get the feeling that if you aren't in the top echelon of your class, and you go to a top school like NYU, your grades don't make all that much of a difference. Based on grades alone, it was very difficult to predict which firms my classmates at U. Chicago would get into. Once you're in the vast middle of the class, your personal background and interviewing skills will probably be the deciding factors.

My only concern about taking a clerkship would be losing the opportunity to do OCI. In this market, that's probably your best shot at a firm job.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I hate how career services is always getting alumni from biglaw firms who are always telling us not to worry about our debt because it'll be easy to pay off. Uh, what? I'm sure most of us will find a job, but whether it will actually help us pay off our debt without forcing us to live like bums is another question.

overdog

Reaction score
Take a look to see if there are some career fairs out there that might give you a leg up on interviewing. If you are interested in IP law, Loyola hosts a huge job fair in Chicago every year in late summer. Biglaw firms from all over the U.S. recruit there. If you can land interviews in that job fair, you would be getting a shot at firms before the majority of 2Ls around the country will. Also, if you are a minority, there are several minority job fairs out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads