• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beyond gray/blue suits - Khaki or Chocolate

JTA

Reaction score
Don't listen to others, if you like and can pull the color, get it. Brown is one of my favorite. Depending on individual preference, I made the jacket self-facing with very light construction and it sets for tropical weather.

Dormeuil Sportex (cross posted from Unfunded Liability):
5ae8732a.jpg

Below are posts from hymo on the actual fabric color.
eb75d8b9_dormeuil1.jpg

d95fd34a_dormeuil3.jpg

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude..........we're talking about a country that's 90% desert. Of course there are colder places in the world with harsher winters, but that's not the topic at hand.

India is 90% desert ?
crazy.gif

CIA factbook

Land use:

arable land: 48.83%
permanent crops: 2.8%
other: 48.37% (2005)

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like your jacket but I am considering a suit. That's the reason for the hesitation
Don't listen to others, if you like and can pull the color, get it. Brown is one of my favorite. Depending on individual preference, I made the jacket self-facing with very light construction and it sets for tropical weather.

5ae8732a.jpg

Below are posts from hymo on the actual fabric color.
eb75d8b9_dormeuil1.jpg

d95fd34a_dormeuil3.jpg

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

India is 90% desert ?
crazy.gif

Wow, some people need to study their geography and climatology more thoroughly before they post! India is 90% desert like the United States is 90% 'the wild west'. :brick:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really like your dark brown suit. Problem with me is that I prefer RTW these days and you dont find a lot of brown suits in RTW
I understand.
So, if I am as dark as this, dark brown is out for me ?
Like Parker said: mix it up with blues. I think you'll be just fine with a dark brown suit and a light blue shirt. Or a white shirt and blue tie.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dude..........we're talking about a country that's 90% desert. Of course there are colder places in the world with harsher winters, but that's not the topic at hand.

Dude, you seem to have completely and utterly missed my point.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

India is NOT 90% desert - heck, even Rajasthan is only 60%. If you're looking for wintery cold I urge you to visit Kashmir; gets so cold the locals wear portable braziers of live coals under their cloaks called pherans, most of them brown. Fantastic skiing at Gulmarg, btw.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

5ae8732a.jpg

d95fd34a_dormeuil3.jpg

Wow this is nice. :slayer:

In his book Manton recommends either a tan or mid gray flannel after the basic navy/gray. But for me finding the right shade of tan is problematic. Lots of tan suits don't look good on me.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

India is NOT 90% desert - heck, even Rajasthan is only 60%. If you're looking for wintery cold I urge you to visit Kashmir; gets so cold the locals wear portable braziers of live coals under their cloaks called pherans, most of them brown. Fantastic skiing at Gulmarg, btw.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I stand corrected............so many geography buffs on SF!

It was a figure of speech.........again, the point was that it gets cold enough to justify flannel or heavier fabrics for a good portion of the winter months. Not sure why people would imply otherwise.....

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll just say that I greatly miss my chocolate brown suit which I finally retired last year, and I intend to replace it. Rich and vibrant ties of almost every color work well with a rich brown suit.

As to coloring of hair and complexion - it is always an important aspect in my mind when selecting a suit.

I don't think it's a matter of how light or dark your skin is in general - but rather a matter of what the specific shade of brown on the suit looks like with your specific skin tone. As brown skinned persons tend to look grayish in contrast to a chocolate suit color if the suit is particularly on the red side of brown and person's skin is on the gray side of brown. A brown suit can certainly work if carefully done - but it's a bit risky.

Just as with my particular complexion (caucasion with an olive cast) tends to very sensitive shades of green - any green that is not very soft just looks terrible on me as it makes me look sickly.

I think this is why blue is so widely worn - it is complementary to almost every skin tone (except very pale pinkish complexions).

Just my random 2 pence worth.

-G.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So, if I am as dark as this, dark brown is out for me ?

If the color balance of this picture is accurate, I think you should easily be able to pull off a brown suit. Just avoid shades that are too close your skin tone. Go darker or lighter. I also think black shoes look great with a dark brown suit.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WHat do you think of this ? Do patch pockets look odd on this suit. The cloth looks a little too formal for patch pockets to me.

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Caruso?

The colour looks a bit bland; could be the photo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads