• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Better to donate to Goodwill and get tax writeoff or sell on ebay?

noVA99

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting 'rid' of some stuff:

some pleated wool dress trousers: a couple Burberry and Hickey Freeman, one of which has a small hole and needs to be reweaved

a Donna Karan, made in Italy suit which had a couple small holes sewed up (not weaved)

perhaps some other dress clothes...

what is a better return on my 'investment': donate to Goodwill and get a tax write off or try to hawk my goods on ebay?

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Anything of decent quality donated by you will be snatched up by forum members. I think it is easier to donate. It is too much hassle to list, wait for payment and ship. I would donate it.

bobbers

Reaction score
Recently I've begun dropping off my less valued clothing to Menzfit, an organization that helps people get prepared for entering the workforce, including providing interview clothing.

www.menzfit.org

They give you a form that you can fill out for a record of the donation, and the donator fills in the value of the goods. With the items you've mentioned - in the condition they're in (holes) - I think you'd be better off donating.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I donate. I have way too much mediocre crap and am constantly tring to thin the closet even as I upgrade. I have been trying to adhere to a one-in one-out (or even two-out) policy. I hit Goodwill about 5 times a year and some things have been known to be NWT.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The value of your donations has to be greater than your standardized deduction or else you will not reap any benefit...

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
The value of your donations has to be greater than your standardized deduction or else you will not reap any benefit...

Not necessarily. As long as his total itemized deductions before his Goodwill donation is larger than the standard deduction then he'll reap tax benefit.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going the other way, I'm sure many here have itemized deductions well above the standardized deduction but only get to claim a percentage as a result of their adjusted gross. It's not a financial consderation for me, it's a matter of praticality and charity.

JR88

Reaction score

. . . if you have no other deductions whatsoever, which I doubt is true for most SFers.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Or maybe the guy wants to earn some Karma points and donate the clothes regardless of whether it helps his taxes too much.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JR88
. . . if you have no other deductions whatsoever, which I doubt is true for most SFers.

i don't know about that. a lot of people here seem to be young people, so it's unlikely they have a house or other expenses that would push the deductions past the standard.

as it is for me, i have a job that pays overtime, so my consideration is different - the money i get for my time put in selling stuff generally doesn't match what i can get if i put an equivalent amount of overtime in.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go Goodwill. I don't have the time+patience for selling on eBay.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at it from another way...

The brands are OK but not super for ebay selling. I'm not talking about the quality of the garments, I'm just thinking of ebay resale values.

Also any holes or visible repairs will lower their value further.

I say, donate.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Or maybe the guy wants to earn some Karma points and donate the clothes regardless of whether it helps his taxes too much.

I agree that's an important consideration, but the OP specifically asked which would give the better return on his "investment", so I think the specific economic advice is responsive. How the karmic/psychological returns factor in is obviously a much more personal choice.

Given the description of the clothes, I'd guess they'd not likely go for that much on ebay, which for me would be another point in favor of donating. If I thought something was likely to go for hundreds or thousands of dollars, I might ponder the relative economic benefits of donation versus sale (or if I were a regular ebay seller, which I'm not). But otherwise, donation would be a no-brainer for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads