1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by ruzzi, Apr 16, 2012.

Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?

1. Sopranos

12 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. The Wire

56 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Mad Men

11 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Breaking Bad

33 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

That moment makes the show and characters all the more tangible to me. Walt is a self-loathing character at first and his consideration towards others above his own interests is what put his great intellect in such a mundane life in the first place - this will become apparent in later episodes when you see what he could have been. But the first episodes are funny because Walt is pathetic, but that all changes like a great character in a great series should.

As far as a show that has been referenced the most and has been used the most by individuals as a metaphor for daily experiences, it is The Simpsons.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  2. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

The Simpsons is in the running for Greatest of All Time by sheer weight of its longevity, its foundational impact on televised comedy (and pop culture in general), its vast and iconic cast of characters, and the unmatched excellence of its first (roughly) 10 seasons. That said, it's sort of like a late-career Muhammad Ali at this point. It's stuck around long enough to take too many punches, lose too many fights, and generally remind everyone that it's a sad shadow of its former glory.

I will always consider The Simpsons one of the best shows ever. And I'll forgive it the latter half of its lifespan. But it's quickly approaching a juncture at which there is almost as much chaff as there is wheat in its total catalogue. When people speak of the transcendent excellence of the show, they're actually speaking of less than 50% of the show's run. That's a sobering thought.

Ultimately, The Simpsons became a victim of its own outrageous success. It's easy to fault its creators and showrunners for not having "gone out on top" and exercised the restraint to retire the show in what they must have realized would be its creative prime. But shit, I can't say I'd have packed it in if I were them. The show is a billion-dollar franchise, and it makes its creators and writers and actors rich beyond belief. Everyone's too caught up in the spoils to pull out now. Sadly, I suspect that this will eventually force the show to run itself into the ground. It won't go dark until it's quite literally drained of all life, and no one's watching anymore.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah at this point the Simpsons is a brand attached to an increasingly shoddy product, but I would put seasons 3-8 up against any tv show ever made.

Seinfeld and Cheers are both in consideration for me. Certainly like both of them more than Mad Men, which I like a great deal.

5. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Also: The UK Office, Arrested Development, Spaced, Brass Eye.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

dude, you are missing out HARD core

lol, rewatch it, it is my favorite season. your arguments are invalid.

7. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

The Wire. Really no contest. The perfect blend of plot, characters and social commentary. Sopranos somewhere mid series decided to care less about plot and then decided to focus more on the characters. Unfortunately everyone was so unlike able, that by the end, I just did not care and just wanted it to be over.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  8. in stitches

i dont get all the sopranos hate. i loved that show from episode one till the end.

1 person likes this.
  9. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I'm always surprised how frequently Seinfeld is left out of these discussions. I think its mass appeal turn people off. For my money Seinfeld was better than Curb. I think Geoge Constanza > Larry David as himself.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Breaking Bad? Really? That show is entertaining but it's hardly high art.

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

There were just too many subplots that got too much attention and bogged the show down. (Gay Vito comes to mind.)

12. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Senior member

My problem with the Gay Vito subplot is that it really came out of nowhere. It was never foreshadowed, hinted at, or even insinuated, until it suddenly happened. Out of the blue, Vito runs off and falls in love with a short-order cook ("Johnnycakes") at a diner. It was entirely extraneous to the rest of the story, and it could have been dispensed entirely and made no real impact on either Tony Soprano's overarching storyline or Vito's. It was really pointless, almost as if the writers were giving Vito Spatafore the middle finger.

I have no problem with gay storylines or characters in TV shows (hell, Omar is one of the best characters in The Wire). But the Gay Vito story seemed to make Vito gay for no particularly germane reason other than sport.

13. acularw

acularw Senior member

Best dramatic show: The Wire, hands down. No other show has been able to be top notch in character development, overall plot, and social commentary all at the same time.

Best comedy: Seinfeld. This show is just so classic and rewatchable. I also feel that people dismiss this show since it has been parodied so much and it was more mainstream.

14. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I found the whole New Jersey family going to war against New York families silly too. NY families dominate Jerz and Philly organized crime families.

15. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

HERETIC!!!!!!!

16. why

why Senior member

The correct answer is Law and Order.

17. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

when I was 5, that theme song was my favorite thing in the world lol the OG series only, all others sucked monkey cock.

18. in stitches

INORITE!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  19. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Very America-centric list, you guys need to broaden your watching habits, also anyone mentioning Lost or B.S.G. needs a brain enema.

The Wire is up there with the best ever including shows like;
    Underbelly
    Kung Fu
    Fawlty Towers
    The Black Adder
    The Young Ones
    Rome
    Dr Who
    Trailer Park Boys
    Red Dwarf.

The rest on the list are good shows but could be lumped in with a billion other good shows like
    Futurama > The Simpsons
    E.R.
    Frasier
    Life On Mars
    Only Fools and Horses
    Star Trek O.S.
    House
    30 Rock
    M.A.S.H.
    Boardwalk Empire
    Quantum Leap
    Monty Pythons Flying Circus
    Batman Animates Series
    And many more.

20. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

But America is the center of the universe.