1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by ruzzi, Apr 16, 2012.

Best show of all time: Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men or Breaking Bad?

1. Sopranos

12 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. The Wire

56 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Mad Men

11 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Breaking Bad

33 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

you NEED to watch the sopranos. like now.

oh he is lol

2. in stitches

for me the wire and the sopranos are neck and neck for best show ever made. no other show has such a wide array of amazing and compelling characters. mad men and breaking bad are great as far as the quality of the story, the acting, the writing.... but they just arent in that league for me. also, breaking bad is a step above mad men imo.

3. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

but you have no love for your fellow jew, LD?!?!?!

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

+1. You can't really compare SP to Family Guy in this regard.

5. Jr Mouse

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. in stitches

of course i do. CYE is a fantastic show, brilliant humor. but its not in the league of the shows in the OP imo.

7. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Throwing in cartoon comedies into this discussion makes no sense. I'd keep it to dramas/hour long shows.

8. Jr Mouse

It's best "show" of all time. Not best "hour long drama." I say anything goes that has been on TV as a series.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

+1 to The Simpsons being in contention. I've always said it's between The Simpsons and The Sopranos for me.

I never really got into Breaking Bad, though I could see how people could enjoy it. The Wire did nothing for me in the handful of episodes I watched, but I keep telling myself to give it another try. I've never seen Mad Men, owing mostly to the taste of people I know who love it.

10. in stitches

will you please watch the wire. do it for me baby.

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Mad Men was good the first season but after that I found it to be thin and untextured. I really don't see how it can be in the discussion of the greatest shows of all time.

12. fareau

fareau Senior member

The Wire is easily the best television series that has ever been written. The other series are excellent, but there is something so insightful and deeply visceral about the Wire, that it teeters on the verge of masterpiece.

13. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

Unlike this vapid poast.

14. in stitches

somebody is feisty tonight lol

1 person likes this.
  15. L.R.

L.R. Senior member

Also an incredibly anti-goverment, pro-libertarian show.

Mad Men: I love it, but every now and then I find it misses the mark. Distant 4th.
    The Sopranos: The top 3 are all so close, and so a third place finish is by no means an insult. I found it slowed towards the series end.
    The Wire: Amazing. As a sociologist, I point to this for a clearer understanding of the world we live in. Number 2.
    Breaking. Not as well written as The Sopranos, nor as complex and indepth as The Wire, but the characters and plots are just so engaging I give it a number 1.

Other Shows Mentioned:

Firefly: Amazing show. Incredibly mad at the cancellation. It could have been so great, or it could have been cancelled before it got bad. I found Serenity a bit lack-lustre in comparison. Not sure if it was an indication of what the show would have become, or merely and attempt to bring a show that would likely have been extremely in depth to close in under 2 hours.

Lost: The first 2 season had me hooked. I love shows in which an overall tapestry of a universe is woven, where each part scene brings more meaning to the rest. I thought that was what this was. Then I realized they're just running around with no end-goal, no real "big picture" in mind.

BSG: First season was some of the greatest on T.V. Afterwards.... I don't know. Still unsure about the ending. But it's up there on my favourites of all time.

16. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Third season was the best imo. Hated the last season, though.

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

:laugh:

I'll try to get around to it soon, although it may be tough to work in, given MrsG and I recently started re-watching The Sopranos, and we're not watching as much TV lately as we once did. Perhaps I will pick it up when the first-run season ends for the networks in the next month or so.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. suited

suited Senior member

The replay value of The Sopranos and The Simpsons should also be noted. I'd imagine that I have probably seen some episodes 50 times or more. Who knows. Both are equally enjoyable to watch while eating. Perhaps because food was such an integral part of The Sopranos, and memories of watching The Simpsons I had recorded on VHS everyday after school as a kid while having a snack. It's always amusing when someone says "have you seen that episode of The Sopranos when", then they go onto to horribly misquote a scene that I could recite verbatim.

19. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

How about The Shield? I'd put that up there with the Wire or perhaps right below it.

20. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Love the Shield, but it didn't have nearly the ambition of The Wire, BB, or Sopranos. Overall I do like it more than Mad Men, even though it had some pretty preposterous story elements.