• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best pomade of these

lmm54

Reaction score
Layrite is the strongest-holding pomade-type stuff I've found. I usually use wax, so other pomades aren't strong enough for my taste. Layrite also smells pretty good.

For a softer feel, the American Crew pomade isn't bad and also smells nice.

Chubbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGoodBytes
you want something that hygiene wise is like gel, layrite, washes out like a champ.

Originally Posted by Jsoftz
I use Layrite, and like the fact that it washes out easily with just regular water. Looks good in my hair and the GF even likes the smell.

Yeah this is basically what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions

pkiula

Reaction score
I'd stay clear on crap products, such as many of the stuff listed in the post earlier.

If you care about your hair, try a decent brand

- RedKen
- Tremelle
- Aveda

Etc. It's your hair. It's very hard to undo damage you do to it by making wrong choices. A few bucks here and there don't matter. Aveda's products for example are superb, mild, and don't do any monkey business with your hair (like leave flakes).

Fabian

Reaction score
The best pomade I've used, by far, is the American Crew Pomade. I used to find it only at the barber shop, but it's in retail stores now. $15-ish a can. Great stuff.

afterglow

Reaction score
My gold standard is Aveda but their jars are so small they're gone in an instant and that gets pricy. I tried a whole bunch of cheaper alternatives and the best by far is American Crew (brown label). So +1 for American Crew.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fantastix Organix is the bomb. All natural, smells great, easy to work with (compared to Murray's which is the other similar product that I use and sticks more to my hands than my hair). Some of the fancier ones like Redken work fine and are a bit more posh, but all around I prefer this:

yhst-54149592130577_2133_6195089

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found Murray's Beeswax not only hard to wash out but also when I comb it, it seems to pull more hair out. I already get scared enough that I'm going bald so I went with something that is not that expensive but still does the job for my asian hair which I like to "sit down" and I have a traditional part on the side.

I've tried Alberto wax $4 for 150 ml, which does harden but less than a gel, and the one I use the most while I travel is L'Oreal Studio Architect wax. It's about $5 for 75ml at Walmart, $8 in a city pharmacy but it's extremely easy to wash out and doesn't harden much unless you put excess.

If it weren't for the cost, I'd almost use that exclusively. If I'm not travelling, I top it up with hair spray once it sets so it sticks.

I can go to bed and wake up the next day and use minimal amounts and water to keep the same hairstyle going (usually to better effect!)

AlphaAndTheOmega

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coater
So, I am going to a shopping mall soon and there's a special shop for haircare products. I was thinking about getting some pomade to try. I investigated their internet shop and they atleast have these pomades there:

Dax Short and Neat, Dax Wave and Groom, Nu Nile, Murray's Beeswax, Murray's Superior, Murray's Hair-Glo, Murray's Super Light and Murray's eXelento.

So, I was thinking about either Nu Nile or Murray's Superior. But, which one would you use of those? They are all the same price in the shop I mentioned.
I am looking for a pomade that is good for slicking your hair back or to the side and has pretty strong hold with good shine.

I use Murray's. Its really cheap (like $2 bucks a can).

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notalwaysrig
I have never tried any of the specific brands you wrote about, but I have been using something called "Garnier Fructis, Surf Hair (Strong)". It is usually less than five bucks in many stores.

I used that for a short while but found that while I liked what the product did, my hair was just too thin for it and it ended up making it too greasy and stringy. I still have some and occasionally use just the barest, teeniest amount as a kind of final "finish" when I want it to look just a little messier than it is.

That said, this isn't a pomade, but worth exploring - Sebastian's Potion #9. It's about the only thing I use any more. It's something between a pomade/leave in conditioner that gives my thin hair body and some texture and even a measure of fullness. I love the stuff. ps - it's orange, which might scare you first time you use it, but it doesn't make your hair orange.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics