1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best pomade of these

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Coater, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Coater

Coater Active Member

So, I am going to a shopping mall soon and there's a special shop for haircare products. I was thinking about getting some pomade to try. I investigated their internet shop and they atleast have these pomades there:

Dax Short and Neat, Dax Wave and Groom, Nu Nile, Murray's Beeswax, Murray's Superior, Murray's Hair-Glo, Murray's Super Light and Murray's eXelento.

So, I was thinking about either Nu Nile or Murray's Superior. But, which one would you use of those? They are all the same price in the shop I mentioned.
    I am looking for a pomade that is good for slicking your hair back or to the side and has pretty strong hold with good shine.

2. notalwaysrig

notalwaysrig Active Member

Hello.

I have never tried any of the specific brands you wrote about, but I have been using something called "Garnier Fructis, Surf Hair (Strong)". It is usually less than five bucks in many stores.

http://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructi.../dp/B000GCUWPU

For such a low price, I would recommend that you try it.

Good Luck with finding something that meets your desires!

*While the product description says that it has "low shine" or "matte"...I don't believe you should let this discourage you from trying it. In my experience, It seems to provide all of the char. which you requested.

3. Coater

Coater Active Member

4. moosy

moosy Senior member

I highly recommend the Nancy Boy Pomade itr has a nice texture and it is not greasy.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

6. notalwaysrig

notalwaysrig Active Member

*shouldn't have posted that. Sorry...it was the wrong thing to say. My apologies all around.

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Murray's is awesome. Cheap as hell. Strong as fuck.

8. Coater

Coater Active Member

*long text here*
    -Ben

I am deeply sorry if I offended you in some way.

It's good that you could recommend me a product you thought I would like. It seems like a pretty nice product, but the thing here is that I am looking for good old-fashion pomade. The product you recommended is "paste", which I believe is pretty much the same as hair wax. Hair wax and pomade are different. And I wanted you to choose one from the list I provided you, to be exact. I'm happy to hear you also recommend other pomades, but keep in mind that the product might not be sold in that hairstore I am going to visit.

And what comes to petroleum jelly, I've never heard of a pomade that doesn't have it as an ingredient. It's a pretty important ingredient in pomade. The pomade must be some sort of special pomade if it has no petroleum jelly. And, all the pomades I've seen come in tin cans, not those plastic ones.

But I am deeply sorry if I offended you.

9. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

Murray's is awesome. Cheap as hell. Strong as fuck.

ewww, nasty.

I suggest trying Layrite if you've never used pomade before.

past that, it depends alot on the type of hair you have on what product may work best for you. (I use Lucky-13 Devils Deluxe)

10. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Hello,

Can someone please help me, because I am having trouble following what just occurred. (Honestly,] Please tell me what I am missing:

(1) "Coater" said: "I am looking for Pomade" (Verbatim.) - He also provided several product examples.
    (2) At least one of the items which "Coater" provided as an example, uses Beeswax as either a primary, secondary, or tertiary ingredient.
    (3) In keeping with this, and other variables you suggested, I recommended an item where one of the primary or secondary ingredients is Beeswax, and most of the other basic ingredient needs which you specified were satisfied as faithfully as possible.
    (4) You Posted: "But that is not pomade, I am looking for pomade." - Under which you posted a link to the Wikipedia definition of pomade.

*Here is where I get confused...I reccomended "Pomade" According to your own definition!
    *can someone please tell tell me what it is, that I am not understanding? The product I posted shared almost every one of the primary ingredients as the definition which "Coater" posted. These include:

Beeswax, ✔
    Perfume, ✔
    Coloring Agents, ✔
    Organic Oil's, ✔
    A Binder of some sort✔

Ok, so...while I have no idea if the following is a correct asessment, I'm guessing that one of three things is actually going on here:

1. I did not satisfy the requirement that "most [pomades] contain Petroleum Jelly" (totally reasonable)

2. What I suggested wasn't in one of those cute little "American Crew" type tin's that looks like a modernist representation of a Copenhagen dip can...without which, your friends won't be impressed by the cosmetic items you purchase. (I tried to suggest something that was reasonably priced.)

Or...3....You have a degree in Physics and used a Photoelectron Spectroscopy technique to analyze the chemical makeup of both the product you requested, and the item I suggested...and determined that they were not of the same chemical makeup.

I truly apologize that my response/rant is beginning to border on uncivil behavior, but I found your reply to my "hopefully helpful" comment be bordering on rude. If that is not the case, I apologize. Honestly. Where I'm from though, we consider that smug and backhanded...although I do understand that It is hard to provide inflection over the internet...but I really had trouble interpreting your comments in any other manner.

-Ben

Holy crap. No offense to you, Ben, but you over analyzed this to the point of absurdity. Lol.

11. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but didn't want to start a new one. What is a good pomade for thicker, slightly course hair? Also, which ones are easy to wash out, I didn't want something that's hard to get out of my hair. I've heard Murray's is a bitch to get out.

Thanks

12. millionaire75

millionaire75 Senior member

13. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

14. MrGoodBytes

MrGoodBytes Senior member

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but didn't want to start a new one. What is a good pomade for thicker, slightly course hair? Also, which ones are easy to wash out, I didn't want something that's hard to get out of my hair. I've heard Murray's is a bitch to get out.

Thanks

you want something that hygiene wise is like gel, layrite, washes out like a champ.

15. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

you want something that hygiene wise is like gel, layrite, washes out like a champ.

I use Layrite, and like the fact that it washes out easily with just regular water. Looks good in my hair and the GF even likes the smell.

16. lmm54

lmm54 Member

Layrite is the strongest-holding pomade-type stuff I've found. I usually use wax, so other pomades aren't strong enough for my taste. Layrite also smells pretty good.

For a softer feel, the American Crew pomade isn't bad and also smells nice.

17. Chubbs

Chubbs Senior member

I use Layrite, and like the fact that it washes out easily with just regular water. Looks good in my hair and the GF even likes the smell.

Yeah this is basically what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions

18. pkiula

pkiula Senior member

I'd stay clear on crap products, such as many of the stuff listed in the post earlier.

If you care about your hair, try a decent brand

- RedKen
    - Tremelle
    - Aveda

Etc. It's your hair. It's very hard to undo damage you do to it by making wrong choices. A few bucks here and there don't matter. Aveda's products for example are superb, mild, and don't do any monkey business with your hair (like leave flakes).

19. Fabian

Fabian New Member

The best pomade I've used, by far, is the American Crew Pomade. I used to find it only at the barber shop, but it's in retail stores now. $15-ish a can. Great stuff.

20. afterglow

afterglow Well-Known Member

My gold standard is Aveda but their jars are so small they're gone in an instant and that gets pricy. I tried a whole bunch of cheaper alternatives and the best by far is American Crew (brown label). So +1 for American Crew.