• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheap Shoe Thread

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
I know this will be a controversial topic, and I don't want to mislead any of the newbies here, but maybe I am just an anomaly on the fashion hobbyist forum that is SF.

I have never been an "expensive" shoe guy, though I love shoes. I know all the tales about how its cheaper to buy one pair of AE or Alden than cheap shoes regularly. I also realize that for some people AE's are cheap shoes and there are many brands that cost much more...however...

I honestly have a lot of shoes, and most only get used once every one to two weeks, and usually only for a few hours. So I am not hard on shoes. I have always been the kind of guy that rather buy a black pair AND a brown pair of J&M, Cole Haan or even Florshiem shoes (and many times have some money left over) than one pair of Allen Edmonds. I have owned one pair of Allen Edmonds loafers in my life and the leather did not hold up as well as expected (though the construction is terrific) despite using conditioner regularly and shoe trees. I also think AE while having some great shoes also has a lot of ugly ones.

Some of my (what I like to call) "high end cheap shoes" have leather soles, and some have composite or rubber soles. I am not a leather sole devotee. I understand they look better for very formal occasions, but I find most rubber and composite to be more comfortable. I am at a stage in life (mid-30s) where I am not going to a lot of weddings or funerals, and most of my business meetings are "business casual".

I have a good enough income that I could go out and buy several pairs of Allen Edmonds, but honestly, in the suburbs with a nice house, kids, a minivan and all the "American dream stuff" if I am going to spend money on myself (which I do probably too often) I usually try to get more bang for my buck. Despite all the hate you can be well dressed shopping at an outlet mall, as long as you have a good tailor.

I am not advocating buying the cheapest shoes you can find at Kohls or JCPenney for those of us in the states. Fake leather is a no go, mostly cause you can't really shine it and it looks cheap. For a few dollars more I have even found some shoes on sale that at least claim to be full grain leather for as little as $50-$60 USD that I was able to shine up well and feel great. Mostly I try to stay between $50-$180 USD for shoes, but I have some that the retail price far exceeds that just by watching for sales.

I understand quality over quantity, and you don't need to buy "throw away clothes" necessarily, but I am still a more for my money guy. Balance is my motto.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads