• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Messenger Bags <500

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lambertson Truex, though you may want to stick with ebay or the sales forum here until they start producing again (they went under, then got bought again).

Even at retail, many of their styles are $300-500. Good quality, simple styling, etc. I did a search just the other day and there were a few messengers there.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You know what... on second thought... buy my Tod's messenger bag:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=140056

j/k... but take a look, because it's a nice bag, it's half of $500, it retails for nearly $900, and it's just sitting in my closet. I'd much rather send it to a student or somebody who could use it.
smile.gif

Lemme know!

chroMe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I'm 99% sure I'm kopping this as my next bag (Ally Capellino, Navy Michael bag)

michael_2.jpg

michael_5.jpg

It's a little higher than your budget, and comes in around $600 with shipping from the UK, though some of their other bags are a little cheaper (note only the leathers are Made in England, the rest are Made in China, afaik). Farfetch.com has it for around $560, though that doesn't include shipping.

I walked by this shop the other week but didn't have time to go in and did a search but couldn't find it. Will duly be ditching my current scooter bag for the Eric.

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
I'm probably going to get some heat for this, but Coach messengers/briefcases can be had for cheap used on ebay. Mine cost around $120 and i'd say the quality of the leather, build and hardware is definitely outstanding for the price (the design is also beautiful and there are no logos of any sort except for the guarantee on the inside).

This post cost me $50. I wandered over to Ebay to see if what you said was true and tossed in a $35 bid on the bag below on the whim. It's made in the USA, so I assume it predates the outsourcing to China. I've been looking for a decently professional looking black bag for a little while and this one seems nice.

10-1168.jpg

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
Dean Accessories from Los Angeles are very basic, but they are nicely made and fairly priced. This model (I've had one for 5+ years and it's broken in very nicely) is around $200.

ub02_tan_latigo_1.jpg

I'd also second working with Unlucky, I have a belt and wallet from him and they are very nicely done.

Can you (or someone) explain the closures on the bag? Are they secure? I think their site says that they're buttons? Like button snaps?

Also, any more pics?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to sound like a snob, but messenger bags are my thing. As an ex-philly messenger for five years and someone who's used and abused messenger bags for my livelihood as well as just basic every-day carry for twice that long, please do yourself a favor and look at these:

DiMartini: (the original classic benchmark which all other current messenger bags are based). Simple, bombproof, break in elegantly, great canvas fade over time, good all-rounder (which looks good in lots of environments), tons of sensible details/inner pockets, etc. I use this for weekend trips - perfect larger capacity (the mini is great for every-day stuff). Think Levis 501:

https://www.demartinibags.com/catalo...products_id=99

Re-Load: I swear by these. My bro from Philly. These win awards everywhere, and you'll be the only one in town with it. From simple to all the bells and whistles Custom if you want or just plain. I've had my daily-use one for seven years and it still looks amazing. Try the 'Small Civilian' or 'Messenger Mini' for daily use and good capacity. Think Japanese Denim:

http://www.reloadbags.com/bags/overv...-civilian.html

Freitag: Swiss-made. Great bags made from recycled automotive materials and truck tarps. Cool, unique, but have some drawbacks (a little slippery and lack some practical details like additional inner pockets). But good. Think APC or Nudie designer jeans:

http://www.freitag.ch/shop/FREITAG/p...age/detail.jsf

Chrome has too many silly details - hate the seatbelt buckle (but they're nice). Timbuk is the GAP of messenger bags - good but common.

If you want leather, the other suggestions here seem pretty nice.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are called Sam Browne studs and they work just like a formal shirt stud on a "button" hole (I learned this here), it is a bulb shaped stainless stud and you just push it through a slotted hole in the leather. Simple and easy.

^^ +1 on RELoad bags. While not elegant, they are great tough carryalls. I've had a few, and I use them all the time when I ride to work or if I need to carry a lot of books back and forth. Also Ro is a great guy to work with and you can customize any design you can imagine.

Originally Posted by Tck13
Can you (or someone) explain the closures on the bag? Are they secure? I think their site says that they're buttons? Like button snaps?

Also, any more pics?

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AHShadow
What would be the best canvas messenger bag for <150$? My mom bought me a Kenneth Cole nay messenger bag but I would like to get a black one as well. I'm thiking of timbuk2, should I go for it? I'm on a budget though, so I don't know if it's worth it, since right now the bag I use for school is my jansport bag.

^ See my post above. Look at the 'mini' versions of the DeMartini and Re-Load for under 150. You can stow tons of stuff in these. 'Mini' is misleading...

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
lawl.

That $650 jawn from England sux dix, it's ugly. The guy with the 36pt text also has an ugly bag, that happens to not be a messenger bag at all.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
They are called Sam Browne studs and they work just like a formal shirt stud on a "button" hole (I learned this here), it is a bulb shaped stainless stud and you just push it through a slotted hole in the leather. Simple and easy.

Thanks. Are they / is the bag / handle pretty sturdy? I know you said you like it. How is the size for you? I'm thinking about getting one but the pics on the site aren't very good.

How about the colors? What color did you get?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlyngard
Not to sound like a snob, but messenger bags are my thing. As an ex-philly messenger for five years and someone who's used and abused messenger bags for my livelihood as well as just basic every-day carry for twice that long, please do yourself a favor and look at these:

DiMartini: (the original classic benchmark which all other current messenger bags are based). Simple, bombproof, break in elegantly, great canvas fade over time, good all-rounder (which looks good in lots of environments), tons of sensible details/inner pockets, etc. I use this for weekend trips - perfect larger capacity (the mini is great for every-day stuff). Think Levis 501:

https://www.demartinibags.com/catalo...products_id=99

+1 on De Martini
Epaulet has them - nice bags: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/t...g-Black/Detail

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bag is very sturdy and well made. The color on that pic is either the distressed brown or red, mine was a flat dark brown that has broken in nicely. I assume the latigo brown, but maybe the latigo tan. It was a gift so I was not in on color selection. FWIW, The colors don't look very true on their site. I'd personally steer clear of the pre-distressed look.

Size wise, it is usually fine for what I need, but my MacBook Pro 15" just squeezes in, and can't fit in a protective sleeve, so I'm looking for something bigger. It is unlined and really basic, but the design is great. It get a lot of compliments, and it's pretty bombproof.

Originally Posted by Tck13
Thanks. Are they / is the bag / handle pretty sturdy? I know you said you like it. How is the size for you? I'm thinking about getting one but the pics on the site aren't very good.

How about the colors? What color did you get?

hangten

Reaction score
I will recommend this Levenger messenger bag for $160

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLAT...s=Category=11-994-999|Level=2-3-4|pageid=7010

I bought the previous model to this and it has lasted me 3+years. I can carry several books,laptop, lunch and water bottle. It also has a kinda military vive without being too military like. And it is currently 15% with the code PREP9 for the next 3 days. And no I am not affiliated with Levenger.

FYI, my second albeit more expensive choice would be the barracuta messenger bag.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crane's
No I don't sell Saddleback. I own some of their stuff and will buy more. I call them the Filson of leather bags for good reason. Good materials, well built and reasonably priced with a killer warranty. What more can you ask for?

Depends what you are looking for. I like Filson, I like Saddleback leather, but for city use, I prefer my Krane messenger. I have one in waxed canvas, which is ageing well, with the backside now nearly indigo due to my jeans, but Ken is also now making a leather one (not sure if it is out for FW09 at all, or just for SS10). Go to www.kranedesigns to check them out. All lined in suede. They are above $500 (the waxed cotton ones are just shy of $500), but imo, his goods have workmanship and details well above other makers in the same category. My Siebel holds my 15"+ a protective sleeve+ peripherals just fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads