• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best english shirt maker?

sartorialexecutive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
The only Jermyn St brands still making their shirts in England for certain would be T&A and Emma Willis.
T&A have their own factory in Gloucester that makes their RTW.
Emma Willis' RTW and "bespoke" shirts are made by Rayner & Sturges, which is now owned by Alexander Boyd.

I'm not even sure if Budd, with its small but very nice range of RTW shirts, does.

My two cents.

I believe Budd stock shirts are made by R&S

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrician
Reviving this thread once again,
1. There's a difference between $200 and £80 (?!)...How much is their MTM?
2. ^ MTM ^
3. ^ MTM ^
4.I'm in EU, not in US. I'd be more than happy to order a few shirts (whats minimum?) when I go to London next time.

Anyone?!

Dan e gee

Reaction score

Is anyone familiar with Cleeve of London? Who/what are they? They seem to sell high-end British shirts, but I don't know if they are a brand making elsewhere, or a manufacturer making for other brands.
I have a (only one, so it's not represantative) Cleeve of London shirt I bought in Hannover at Terner (one of the coolest clothing shops in Germany, James Lock Hats, Thurston Braces, Brigg Umbrellas, loads of knit ties and pocket suqares
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
). Retail was about 90-120€ for them, they were the lower end shirts available there. Fabric is nice, but by no means special, (thin, if anyone cares) mop buttons, single needle stichting, side gusset, no pattern matching (if anyone cares). I wouldn't rate them high end (among the brit. shirtmakers), but: The tag says not only "Fine English Shirts", it also claims "Made in England".
They make for Drakes also. Their bespoke service starts at £150. Non fused collars, single needle seams and armholes, MOP buttons, mouche and split yoke. The shirts in Drakes are priced at £195....you can get a far superior shirt for that price imo.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
H &K no longer manufacture in Scotland?

Also, I have some Drakes shirts that are at least 10 years old,
purchased at Barneys. They are still very wearable. No idea
who was making them then.

vgreen

Reaction score
First poster here - I'm not a native speaker, so please excuse (but still point out) any mistakes...

A couple of days ago, I asked three of the mid-tier manufacturers (H&H, H&K, N&L) about country of manufacture:

As of now, two of them have answered:

Hilditch & Key:

Harvie & Hudson:
As soon as I get an answer from N&L, I'll post it here.

Dan e gee

Reaction score
I suppose this is old news by now, but Rayner and Sturges, who acquired Cleeve shirtmakers(Chard, Somerset, England) in 2010, have now been bought out by Drake's.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suppose this is old news by now, but Rayner and Sturges, who acquired Cleeve shirtmakers(Chard, Somerset, England) in 2010, have now been bought out by Drake's.

See my post above about Drakes shirts. I own T& A, H&K, H&H, Finamore ,
and Borelli,. My 10+ year old Drakes compare favorably to all of these and
are superior to the H&Hs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads