• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Countries to Live In 2010

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IIRC, Australia is just about the most difficult country in the world as far as immigration goes. This was several years ago, so things might have changed.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
IIRC, Australia is just about the most difficult country in the world as far as immigration goes. This was several years ago, so things might have changed.

I think they have, it was well over 100,000 skilled workers a year last time I knew the statistics (2-3 years ago)

Risque

Reaction score
As an Australian, I urge all of you to consider emigrating to New Zealand. What I mean to say is *broad accent* where the bloody hell are ya?

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I think they have, it was well over 100,000 skilled workers a year last time I knew the statistics (2-3 years ago)

you seen how many they knocked back!!

if you work the right job and you're under 30, you'll get in Aus no worries.

If you come here by boat illegally, you'll get in no worries but you'll have to spend a little while at the Christmas Island holding resort

If you're English and you have a **** load of cash, you'll get in no worries

anyone else and its tough

Kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

If you're young, single, in good health and work in an in-demand industry it's not particularly difficult, but it is expensive. Your best bet would be an internal company transfer, as you may be required to have a sponsor.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kevin
If you're young, single, in good health and work in an in-demand industry it's not particularly difficult, but it is expensive. Your best bet would be an internal company transfer, as you may be required to have a sponsor.

Company sponsor is the most cost effective way to do it. great if you have access to that.

what most do is highschool in Aus for 2 years then uni for 3, once you've been in the country for 5 years you've pretty much got citizenship. some do uni for 3 years and 2 year post grad to make up the 5.

Australian uni's are visa factories. they're not shy about hiding it either. I personally think that if you're willing to spend that amount of money, just sell the bloody visas and keep the uni places open to people who want to learn.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If their stories of fleeing persecution in their homelands are true, and they are genuinely refugees, then Christmas Island is paradise in comparison. They’ll be fine.

And our universities are a joke, Glados in right! Dont even get me started on their practises in regards to international students. I had people in my class that couldnt even participate in class discussions or partake in presentations because their English wasnt good enough, but they were taking university spots off hardworking locals. And years after year they were in my classes so they obviously weren’t failing subjects.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
If their stories of fleeing persecution in their homelands are true, and they are genuinely refugees, then Christmas Island is paradise in comparison. They’ll be fine. And our universities are a joke, Glados in right! Dont even get me started on their practises in regards to international students. I had people in my class that couldnt even participate in class discussions or partake in presentations because their English wasnt good enough, but they were taking university spots off hardworking locals. And years after year they were in my classes so they obviously weren’t failing subjects.
the uni's are indeed a joke, i've heard a lot of people say the standards of english are shocking. I read an article on one of the main news sites suggesting that in the chinese culture, if you pay for something, that it is expected that you get it and the concept of paying for a degree, but only getting it if you pass isnt really understood. as in, if they're forking out hundreds of thousands for a degree, they expect to get it. uni teachers are pressured to pass otherwise the uni gets a reputation for being too hard and the sweet international money stops. normally a big group of people getting degrees when they are not actually qualified is a bad thing. But i dont think they're given jobs anyway in their field by australian employers so the circle of life continues.

Risque

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glados1984
normally a big group of people getting degrees when they are not actually qualified is a bad thing. But i dont think they're given jobs anyway in their field by australian employers so the circle of life continues.
A lot end up taking their degree back home, where they are considered gods because they are now 'fluent' in business English and have their pick of jobs.

I successfully went through the post-uni recruitment process for a Big 4 Accounting firm, and I can vouch that a lot of those who bought their degree, but never acclimated were quickly shown the door.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya, I don't understand these rankings either. Apparently Canada has essentially the same cost of living as Uruguay and Chile? Uh, I don't think so. I would never base any decisions off rankings like this.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too true Glados, they don’t really take the jobs, but the resources and time they require when at uni kind of pisses me off. I guess they are just trying to get ahead though, can’t blame them for that.

Then you get the immigrants that are amazingly bright and Australia suddenly becomes Oh So Welcoming - Think Dr Victor Chang who is without doubt almost a national hero. Im sure Australia isnt alone there though.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
UK, Sweden, Ireland's ranking are surprisely low.
UK and Sweden fall down on cost of living - looks like no data for Sweden? Isn't this a list of best countries for rich Americans to retire to anyway?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads